Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the response to my service ticket:

"Thank you for contacting Tesla support; apologies for the delayed repsonse. I am sorry to hear you are one of many who are affected by the issue with winter tires. We do have a fix for this behavior that will be released in the next software update you receive (2018.50+). We recommend using low Regen mode for the best consistency while we work to roll out the update. Sincere apologies for any inconvenience this has caused."

Same type of response, but I received the 2018.50

Thank you for contacting Tesla! Please allow me to apologize for the delay in our response to this email.

This is known behavior with non-recommended snow tires, and we are working on a solution. The car is safe to drive in this state. We recommend using low Regen mode for the best consistency until a fix can be rolled out.

Seems my days of timely updates have come to an end! :(

It’s so strange - for the longest time after I got the car I seemed to be at the back of the line for updates, watching everyone post about them for a few weeks before I saw them, but then a couple of weeks ago I got two updates within days, one popping up over LTE while my wife was out for the day. I wonder if EAP cars get priority (I'm running the trial right now)?

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
I've had 2018.50 for a week or so now, still running my WinterContact SIs and I think the regen issue is largely solved.

I was one of the first to hit issues - nearly driving into the back of traffic after my tire change in October and I've adapted my driving style to brake a lot more. As I've started to use regen again since getting the update I think it's definitely way improved and probably more or less how it was on the original tires - it's been so long it's hard to recall but the loss of it was really obvious at the time.

Looks like they got there in the end - yay Tesla engineers! Hope everyone else has the same results.

Now we wait and see what happens when the all-seasons go back on in Spring.... :)

I don't remember where I saw it but I think you'll get your update sooner if your car is connected to wifi.

There's been speculation on that for months, not sure Tesla has confirmed it's true. My car is always on wifi at home and usually updates are there in a morning but we just got 2018.50 in the middle of the day while the car had been away from home for hours - no big downloads on the wifi for the previous night and it seems like it came over LTE. It's quite likely Tesla can choose to make some (smaller, higher priority?) updates push over LTE and others wifi-only or LTE after a long period of no wifi, or something along those lines. No doubt they've got some clever, non-obvious approach like they do with everything!

There's been speculation on that for months, not sure Tesla has confirmed it's true. My car is always on wifi at home and usually updates are there in a morning but we just got 2018.50 in the middle of the day while the car had been away from home for hours - no big downloads on the wifi for the previous night and it seems like it came over LTE. It's quite likely Tesla can choose to make some (smaller, higher priority?) updates push over LTE and others wifi-only or LTE after a long period of no wifi, or something along those lines. No doubt they've got some clever, non-obvious approach like they do with everything!

I had a Tesla guy confirm this to me directly. That having been said, I haven't noticed it makes much difference. I was like the OP above, I was at the back of the line for a long time, but for the past month or so have been at the front, but have been on wifi the whole time. So I dunno...

I've had 2018.50 for a week or so now, still running my WinterContact SIs and I think the regen issue is largely solved.

I was one of the first to hit issues - nearly driving into the back of traffic after my tire change in October and I've adapted my driving style to brake a lot more. As I've started to use regen again since getting the update I think it's definitely way improved and probably more or less how it was on the original tires - it's been so long it's hard to recall but the loss of it was really obvious at the time.

Looks like they got there in the end - yay Tesla engineers! Hope everyone else has the same results.

Now we wait and see what happens when the all-seasons go back on in Spring.... :)

Maybe you should be running with Regen set on Low since you have trouble adjusting to changes in regen behavior (which WILL happen even without snow tires).

Maybe you should be running with Regen set on Low since you have trouble adjusting to changes in regen behavior (which WILL happen even without snow tires).

I wouldn't say I have "trouble", I'd say when regen completely disappeared it was a surprise. I adjusted very quickly - I've been driving and braking like a gasser for two and a half months!