Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a little old...

You can see the breakdown for installed versions on teslafi:
TeslaFi.com Tesla Model S X 3 Data Logger

Most cars have 2018.48 or 2018.50 for model 3.

Might be a stuck update...

I don’t think it’s a “stuck” update.

They release an update, to a partial group. They see a problem and fix it. Release again to sub group and see it’s not resolved. Once happy they do a full release and move onto the next release. Rinse and repeat.

They might release by geography or options too. For example “track mode”.

46021408384_86793393b1_b_d.jpg

I don’t think it’s a “stuck” update.

They release an update, to a partial group. They see a problem and fix it. Release again to sub group and see it’s not resolved. Once happy they do a full release and move onto the next release. Rinse and repeat.

According to your histogram it's only about 5% of users/cars with 2018.42 or earlier...

And over 80% on 48 and newer.

From 2018.50 it’s actually hit or miss. Most of the time it is normal just like the All season. Then at times it’s gone but mostly it is just there and I am like hrmm did regan go or is it me. Then I check batteries are they cold etc and nothing.
This was really felt when we had minus weather -7 or 20 degrees so it could of just been the cold but today I felt it was on low and then at other times it felt normal.
Not sure if it is me and a placebo effect or what lol

Reactions: Vintre
I was in service yesterday and got the 2018.50.

I think that the Winter Tire Regen issue has been addressed.

I will be tracking Wh/km used for the next 2 weeks. I think that this measurement is an indication that regen is back like when we run the All Season tires.

Vin

I was in service yesterday and got the 2018.50.

I think that the Winter Tire Regen issue has been addressed.

I will be tracking Wh/km used for the next 2 weeks. I think that this measurement is an indication that regen is back like when we run the All Season tires.

Vin

Your regen will still be impacted by cold weather A LOT.
I'm way further south of you, with an attached insulated garage and I have not seen full regen in weeks (nothing to do with tires).
Heat is also going to dominate variances in wh/mi.

The fact that you are trying to judge if Regen is "Working" by looking at your wh/mi in the middle of winter with so many other variables makes me question that you really lost regen in the first place due to snow tires.

My friend with a RWD and snow tires never lost his Regen due to his snow tires. But he and I (mine being AWD) have of course lost lots of regen due to cold batteries. He's had his car much longer, drives much more, and is in a detached uninsulated garage and has had no impact from snow tires.

Also if I turn my heat OFF, I get just about the EPA Rating for AWD of 250 wh/mi (with or without Regen). Because I usually only measure wh/mi on longer trips (highway). Around town (where Regen pays back most) there are to many other variables.

Your regen will still be impacted by cold weather A LOT.
I'm way further south of you, with an attached insulated garage and I have not seen full regen in weeks (nothing to do with tires).
Heat is also going to dominate variances in wh/mi.

The fact that you are trying to judge if Regen is "Working" by looking at your wh/mi in the middle of winter with so many other variables makes me question that you really lost regen in the first place due to snow tires.

My friend with a RWD and snow tires never lost his Regen due to his snow tires. But he and I (mine being AWD) have of course lost lots of regen due to cold batteries. He's had his car much longer, drives much more, and is in a detached uninsulated garage and has had no impact from snow tires.

Also if I turn my heat OFF, I get just about the EPA Rating for AWD of 250 wh/mi (with or without Regen). Because I usually only measure wh/mi on longer trips (highway). Around town (where Regen pays back most) there are to many other variables.

I understand very well what affects consumption rate.

I definitely lost a lot of regen when I switched to Winter tires.

My measurement is a rough measurement and not meant to be anything scientific.

Lastly, I was driving a Ford Fusion Energi as my previous vehicle. I used to drive in the Winter with the heat off to extend range and I can tell you, living in Southern Ontario, it is not a pleasant way to drive. To be able to drive as I normally would in previous ICE vehicles, is one big reason I chose the Model 3.

Vin

BTW I did an errand today, it was only 25 miles (round trip), bitter cold last night 10F, 32F during the day, no Regen all day, heat on (but carefully tweaked ;) ). AWD and I got 232 wh/mi. Not much highway. That's not a huge data point but lets say I normally would not get close to that.

This is not a battery temperature or state of charge issue. Those possible affects have been eliminated in discovering this.

A number of model 3 owners have found that once they’ve installed winter tires, the regenerative braking has disappeared at higher speeds. It only kicks in at about 30km/h. Prior to that, manually braking is required.

IF this problem has affected you, and you have ruled out a cold battery or too high of a charge, would you post the winter tires you went with and rims. Also, if anyone with a model S or X has this issue, please post too. I’ve only read it affecting the model 3 and have seen it first hand with replika rims and continental SIs. I have read others have it with OEM rims, Xice and the Nokians.
Here is a post form someone that went to Tesla about it:

Just got my Model 3 RWD back from TESLA Service Center. Had literally no Regen...akin to coasting...had to use breaks all the time. The TESLA Technician and I , both sent info in “Technical Bulletin” form of why I had practically zero Regen.
Just before we (GTA area, Ontario) got an unusual hot spell (28C temp), I had swapped rims ‘n tires from “All Season” to “Winters”. Continental Winter ContactPro SI Tires, to be exact. These tires are rated highly for roadhandling, ice and snow traction and really short stopping distances.

After exhaustive tests by TESLA Tech, it was decided to switch back to All Season Tires and Regen test again.
Hey Presto, back came full Regen. So in a nutshell, the winter tires composition I.e. higher content of silicone to keep rubber pliable and not stiff in cold temperatures, makes the same composition advantage, a disadvantage if you drive in warmer weather....too much stiction affecting a Regen module sensitivity.

So, for all us Canadians that drive down south at winter onset, we’ll have practically zero Regen, once we hit Alabama/Georgia and on the way back, get full Regen once in Illinois, Ohio and Michigan...or whatever states you drive through, that are in the northern hemisphere.
Cheaper winter tires with poorer roadholding, will tend to give you better Regen but less safer driving.

Let’s see how widespread this is and whether Tesla can do something about it.
I just put on a brand new GTAS Vredestein Quatrac, which is not winter tire.
But this loss of regen is also happening on my M3 LR RWD Aero 18". Replaced Michelin OEM after 24k miles last friday and immediately noticed loss/reduced regen braking.

It's at SC right now being diagnosed.

Currently still on 48.12.1

Last edited:
I switched my tires yesterday, and like many others with RWD my regen feels different now, it's there but not enough anymore to do one pedal driving.

Coming off the highway the regen bar shows a long bar but seems to become small quickly, then as I slow down it gets bigger again.

Looking forward to getting it back soon like others are starting to see.
This is exactly how i described to service center tech today and he responded it might just be your feeling.
I even recorded this on my phone.

So, I changed over to my winter tires this weekend and re-measured the regen force, and even on my AWD I do see a difference in the regen at high speed, and then at low speeds it seems 'normal' as others have noted. Below is a plot with some markups of the comparisons, but to make sure I'm clear on the configs:

summer plot:
OEM 18" tires
After market rims (same weight as aero's ~ 20.5 lbs)
After market TPMS
Starting speed 100 km/h coming off the highway at winston churchill in mississauga

winter plot:
continental SI winter 18" tires
OEM aero rims with no aero hub caps
OEM TPMS
Starting speed 100 km/h coming off the highway at winston churchill in mississauga

There are some fluctuations up and down because I couldn't just take the car to a full stop since there were cars behind me. On my test this morning (winter plot) I did bring the car down to ~ 20km/h and at the trailing end of the plot you can see when the 2nd stage of regen kicked in at ~ 30 km/h (blue arrow).

This thread has a lot of people reporting the same thing, but I thought having a visual comparison that is somewhat apples to apples would help put things in context.

Also, since I have an AWD it would be interesting to see a similar comparison on a RWD car since some have commented this issue isn't on AWD (or likely less affected). I wouldn't say I have zero regen at high speeds, but it does seem softer. Also I see the same thing others have said where the regen green bar seems to 'flutter' a bit at higher speeds.

View attachment 352295

So, to add some more comments to the above plot:

Summer (blue) plot:

Initially I slowed down from ~ 100 km/h to 50, then had to speed up a bit (where the force increases at about 18s on the y-axis). The second major dip at around 30 sec brought the car to an almost complete stop, and you can see that the force maxed out at ~ 0.25g.

Winter (orange) plot:

The initial 'drop' in force was about 1/2 of the drop from before the change to winter tires, and interestingly the force slowly increases at about the same slope as the summer plot. But then you see at around 20 seconds I hit 30 km/h and the increased regen kicked in (blue arrow). I couldn't let the car come to a full stop there unfortunately because I was well short of the stoplight so had to give it some gas to keep moving forward. If I had stayed off the accelerator though I expect the force would have reached ~ 0.25g and stabilized there. Ignore the rest of the plot because I had to speed up, and the huge dip at 40 seconds was me using brakes to come to a stop.
this is very helpful!
what do you use to measure this?

Thanks!

Is 2018.50.x not rolling to most of you in Canada? I got 2018.50 a while back, and just got 2018.50.6. Regen is back to normal with both versions.

It definitely feels improved. Had full regen yesterday after car was indeed most of the morning and weather wasn't too cold. I'd say nominally it's not quite as good as originally when I got the car. I am on winter tires now.