Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who is planning to hold off buying cybertruck for months after official release?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We will probably hold off a while, given that we already have two fairly young Teslas that we like. Might as well see what happens with price, build quality, features, trim levels etc.

Note, though, that Tesla prices haven't always gone down, especially when demand is really high - which it appears to be for Cybertruck. Quality generally trends up over time, but definitely in a chunky fashion as they make changes on the production line. And while more features tend to be added over time...sometimes they are taken away to streamline the offerings. So there is no guarantee that waiting is going to put you in a better position. It probably will...but there is no guarantee.

I had Roadster #690 and Model S #112. I also had a pretty early 3. The Roadster and S had a few minor issues, the 3 had none. All were fantastic ownership experiences that I would not be willing to trade. I'm not afraid of an early Cybertruck...I just don't need to get one right away. (That said, the truck is for my wife, and maybe by then she will feel she needs one right away...)

• Love
Reactions: Brando
Although I’m probably in the first thousand or so I plan or waiting 1-2 years. I think Tesla are going to have much more issues with the gen 1 truck than they have had with anything else to date. It is just so far in terms of use and capacity from any of the other Tesla vehicles. My largest concerns is Tesla’s tendency to value form over function, it to be too “outside the box, and the air suspension.

Although I’m probably in the first thousand or so I plan or waiting 1-2 years. I think Tesla are going to have much more issues with the gen 1 truck than they have had with anything else to date. It is just so far in terms of use and capacity from any of the other Tesla vehicles. My largest concerns is Tesla’s tendency to value form over function, it to be too “outside the box, and the air suspension.
So you don't trust the quality?
How about doing a lease? You know your costs. You don't have to worry about re-selling or trade in, right?

Also, I wonder where all these "bad quality" Teslas are? Where are the great deals on used Teslas? How does CR show such high "I would buy another Tesla". Doesn't Tesla get the highest rating of this question??

Peoples auto buying have mostly been a mystery to me. color me ignorant

I hold off buying anything for months after a release. I don't want to be among the first to suffer initial problems. I don't even install new versions of computer software for months after an initial release. Glad I waited years to buy a Tesla after the first release. Still, no guarantee that waiting a long time will prevent all problems. :)

So you don't trust the quality?
How about doing a lease? You know your costs. You don't have to worry about re-selling or trade in, right?

Also, I wonder where all these "bad quality" Teslas are? Where are the great deals on used Teslas? How does CR show such high "I would buy another Tesla". Doesn't Tesla get the highest rating of this question??

Peoples auto buying have mostly been a mystery to me. color me ignorant
I’m not saying poor quality at all. We’ve had a least one Tesla for almost 6 years. And build quality is first class. I’m concerned about Tesla building a functional truck, to be used as a truck. I think Elon wants what he wants and can’t see beyond that and people that disagree with him don’t last. Although brilliant in his own way I think he can’t see what is useful outside of his uses. Tesla favors form over function in most things and in a truck that could be, well not good. He’s cruising the CT around Malibu not fishing/hunting/camping/towing/off-roading/...

My concerns: Air suspension, although great for on road driving they are not good at all off road for many reasons. I’m also concerned the ride will be more 911 then overlander. Concerns over the 4wd, our 3 has poorly tuned AWD Software for slick surfaces (like winter), it’s pretty much a RWD until the rear brake free then the front kicks in, not a big issue in the 3 but will be in the CT, CT needs to have real or simulated lockers, crawl, and real 50/50 AWD. Also CT should come with option for 18” wheels (and The ability to fit 17” would be great) 20” and larger are purely ascetic and a detriment on cars performance and much more so on truck, also needs to be able to fit at least 34” tire. Next concern, interior. All the shots I’ve seen the steering wheel is..well.. stupid, for trucks bigger is better for many reasons. Also needs great interior lighting and I would love a rubber floor, and touch screen only could be less optimal in a truck. And some type or of auto doors, self presenting handles,... again pointless on a truck. Other things like the high sides of the bed, lack of exterior lighting, are all concerns. Also concerns for the exoskeleton (unibody), winch support, and tow strap and jack points. Also glass roof, although initial wow factor it gives terrible insulation, very limited roof rack options and with cargo up there what if I drop something hard/ heavy/sharp on it...

So in summary, currently my “truck is a 200 series Lx570 (Toyota Land Cruiser). I use it to get to the backcountry in AK for fishing, skiing, hunting, biking, hiking, towing a camper... and use it hard. Given the fact that there will be almost no aftermarket support and mods I’m assuming will be much more difficult due to software Integration into, well everything. If I can’t: delete the air suspension, run 18” wheels, run at least 34” tires, no good ability to support established aftermarket roof rack options, or if the 4wd system sucks I probably won’t buy one.

One last plea, Elon please don’t go with Air! Look at hydraulic with springs for adjustable dampening/height like: Toyota AHC, Oshkosh, magnetic ride,...

Last edited:
I hold off buying anything for months after a release. I don't want to be among the first to suffer initial problems. I don't even install new versions of computer software for months after an initial release. Glad I waited years to buy a Tesla after the first release. Still, no guarantee that waiting a long time will prevent all problems. :)
The only way to "guarantee ...[ or] prevent all problems. Do not buy. o_O Works for cars, cell phone and even computers.

I’m not saying poor quality at all. We’ve had a least one Tesla for almost 6 years. And build quality is first class. I’m concerned about Tesla building a functional truck, to be used as a truck. I think Elon wants what he wants and can’t see beyond that and people that disagree with him don’t last. Although brilliant in his own way I think he can’t see what is useful outside of his uses. Tesla favors form over function in most things and in a truck that could be, well not good. He’s cruising the CT around Malibu not fishing/hunting/camping/towing/off-roading/...

My concerns: Air suspension, although great for on road driving they are not good at all off road for many reasons. I’m also concerned the ride will be more 911 then overlander. Concerns over the 4wd, our 3 has poorly tuned AWD Software for slick surfaces (like winter), it’s pretty much a RWD until the rear brake free then the front kicks in, not a big issue in the 3 but will be in the CT, CT needs to have real or simulated lockers, crawl, and real 50/50 AWD. Also CT should come with option for 18” wheels (and The ability to fit 17” would be great) 20” and larger are purely ascetic and a detriment on cars performance and much more so on truck, also needs to be able to fit at least 34” tire. Next concern, interior. All the shots I’ve seen the steering wheel is..well.. stupid, for trucks bigger is better for many reasons. Also needs great interior lighting and I would love a rubber floor, and touch screen only could be less optimal in a truck. And some type or of auto doors, self presenting handles,... again pointless on a truck. Other things like the high sides of the bed, lack of exterior lighting, are all concerns. Also concerns for the exoskeleton (unibody), winch support, and tow strap and jack points. Also glass roof, although initial wow factor it gives terrible insulation, very limited roof rack options and with cargo up there what if I drop something hard/ heavy/sharp on it...

So in summary, currently my “truck is a 200 series Lx570 (Toyota Land Cruiser). I use it to get to the backcountry in AK for fishing, skiing, hunting, biking, hiking, towing a camper... and use it hard. Given the fact that there will be almost no aftermarket support and mods I’m assuming will be much more difficult due to software Integration into, well everything. If I can’t: delete the air suspension, run 18” wheels, run at least 34” tires, no good ability to support established aftermarket roof rack options, or if the 4wd system sucks I probably won’t buy one.

One last plea, Elon please don’t go with Air! Look at hydraulic with springs for adjustable dampening/height like: Toyota AHC, Oshkosh, magnetic ride,...
I hope Tesla makes a capable CT that will perform well and sell well as a work truck and also for personal use for towing and camping. But many people will use it as a personal pickup or crossover alternative that never leaves pavement or tows a trailer. Mine will be like a big brother to a DeLorean, whose hauling capability will be applied only to carrying my trash to the road and an occasional trip to Lowes or Ace. I drive a lot of paved mountain roads, though, so I'm hoping for good road capability and also effective FSD.

I hope Tesla makes a capable CT that will perform well and sell well as a work truck and also for personal use for towing and camping. But many people will use it as a personal pickup or crossover alternative that never leaves pavement or tows a trailer. Mine will be like a big brother to a DeLorean, whose hauling capability will be applied only to carrying my trash to the road and an occasional trip to Lowes or Ace. I drive a lot of paved mountain roads, though, so I'm hoping for good road capability and also effective FSD.
I agree, I’m thinking of it will probably be more Honda ridge line than Land cruiser/rubicon/raptor. Would be nice if they do an “off road” package for the tri motor - 17” rims, 35” tires, no air suspension, sliders, better 4wd programming. Another option I’m considering is buy a CT and use it to tow (although I do have concerns with the long term durability of towing on a unibody) and I’ll probably keep my LX, and then go full build with it to run headlocks and 35” (or larger) Tires. I also have a reservation on a Rivian, they are looking much more functional In design but haven’t produced a vehicle.

Amazing how CyberTruck that may not have the "pencil down" moment and we don't actually know how much actual road testing.
Is this perhaps just more FUD or the usual FUD.

Certainly Tesla NOT the first to use air suspension and RAM 1500 offers (or is it standard??)
BOTH Model S/X have air suspension standard. Do some research - I think at least 7 suppliers provide air suspension world wide and maybe more (such as China and components only such as Bosch ...)

might find interesting to review
Air suspension - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Amazing how CyberTruck that may not have the "pencil down" moment and we don't actually know how much actual road testing.
Is this perhaps just more FUD or the usual FUD.

Certainly Tesla NOT the first to use air suspension and RAM 1500 offers (or is it standard??)
BOTH Model S/X have air suspension standard. Do some research - I think at least 7 suppliers provide air suspension world wide and maybe more (such as China and components only such as Bosch ...)

might find interesting to review
Air suspension - Wikipedia
I have no problem with the durability of air. The Bosch system Tesla uses is the one MB developed and is very robust. See my comment above about great for road cars. Off road though articulation is at least as important as clearance. With air suspensions when you increase the pressure to increase height they get very ridged as this increases the spring rate. I know a few guys with Jeep GC trailhawks, they don’t use the high settings off road due to the terrible “pogo” basically they would almost always have a wheel off the ground. For this reason we run 25-30% sag on our air spring enduro bikes. One guy finally pulled the air for Kings and springs. On the Jeeps there is support since GC’s also come with Traditional springs. First mod to LR 3/4 many time is pull the air. I won’t go into how reliable Chrysler’s are but I’m pretty sure the Ram with air it is only with the tow package and only in the rear for load leveling.

Hopefully most will agree that the vast majority of new Teslas at least Drive well, fit and finish issues aside. With a CT the panels will probably be a bit misaligned (you can even see it on the prototype which Elon has been unabashedly showing/driving everywhere lately). And maybe the folding seatbacks will not be aligned either. Also perhaps the paint won't be that ... wait, no paint.

So yeah, I think I will be just fine taking delivery of my Tri-motor the moment they say they have one for me. Just my personal opinion.

You can see
I have no problem with the durability of air. The Bosch system Tesla uses is the one MB developed and is very robust. See my comment above about great for road cars. Off road though articulation is at least as important as clearance. With air suspensions when you increase the pressure to increase height they get very ridged as this increases the spring rate. I know a few guys with Jeep GC trailhawks, they don’t use the high settings off road due to the terrible “pogo” basically they would almost always have a wheel off the ground. For this reason we run 25-30% sag on our air spring enduro bikes. One guy finally pulled the air for Kings and springs. On the Jeeps there is support since GC’s also come with Traditional springs. First mod to LR 3/4 many time is pull the air. I won’t go into how reliable Chrysler’s are but I’m pretty sure the Ram with air it is only with the tow package and only in the rear for load leveling.
warning - I am NOT a truck owner
This clip is of a RAM 1500 model year 2015.5
factory all 4 wheels air suspension
thought you might find interesting - (and I'm sure you can find more reviews with YouTube search)

So many engineers at Tesla, I would hope for good work/design/performance.
Also, I would think the supplier (especially if Bosch ?) would work hard for successful application of their system.
Sandy Munro who liked the ride of the RAM1500 - but no other testing (no off road; no towing.
note: Chevy was horrible ride on the street. The F-150 better, but not as fine as RAM1500.

good luck

I'm sure you'll find better/more reviews. And something this important, you are right to be sceptical.

Even if I didn't have a need for the Cybertruck I'm 100% pulling the trigger on it. I have exactly zero intention of not keeping it, but if for some reason I turned out not to be a truck guy I'm quite certain there will be tens of thousands of people who'd at least get me out whole in order not to wait years for theirs.

Reactions: mrbulk
Given model y pricing drop by few thousands dollars just after 3 months of first release, most likely cybertruck will follow the similar pricing strategy. Who is planning to hold off purchase until first price drop aftet cybertruck it is release?

The "price reduction" really isn't for the Y if you were an early adopter. At current levels, given the other price increases, it's actually USD 490 more for the same spec. And we were a Sep '19 order btw. So, that's a wash, if Tesla continues to "raise" prices only to "lower" them later...
On the other hand, waiting appears to have paid off for all kinds of folks on getting Y's (and from what I understand other Teslas previously) much sooner than people who ordered day one. Like hours/days from order to delivery for Hold Outs vice being out of pocket 2.5 k for 15 months for the "privilege" of being a Day One Type.
Food for thought...