Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who plans to track their P3D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who plans on taking their performance model 3 to the track (road course, not drag)?

What mods are you planning? Do you have the performance upgrade package? How do you plan on managing your charging?

I plan on tracking our M3D with Performance Upgrade Package at either Watkins Glen and/or VIR. I have tracked my GTR, 911, and C63 507 at these tracks and love it. I just need to find out about their charging capabilities. Not planning any mods, at least for the first few track days.

Who plans on taking their performance model 3 to the track (road course, not drag)?

What mods are you planning? Do you have the performance upgrade package? How do you plan on managing your charging?

Yes, I plan on tracking. I plan on lowering the car slightly. Will consider Mountain Pass coilovers. May change to staggered setup. I have no clue as to how the charging is gonna go. One of the recent reviews of tracking the Model 3 Performance said the car was able to keep going for a while, albeit under decreased power, but nothing that caused a shutdown. We'll see what happens when the track mode update is released.

I plan on tracking our M3D with Performance Upgrade Package at either Watkins Glen and/or VIR. I have tracked my GTR, 911, and C63 507 at these tracks and love it. I just need to find out about their charging capabilities. Not planning any mods, at least for the first few track days.

You could always pay the RV fee and use the 220 hookup, not ideal but that was what I was planning for the track I intend to visit.

If you do go to the track please post your lap times so we can get an idea how well the Model 3 Performance does especially if you have the track mode option.

The general consensus out there is that all Tesla's can't make it on the track without overheating

Only true for S&X, not of Model 3. (At least from everything that has been reported so far.)

Agreed, I'm referring to the general public and press. My BMW and Porsche friends keep telling me Tesla's are a one trick pony and can't make it around the track without overheating.

I'm just waiting for some actual lap times. Preferably, 15% better than the BMW M3. There have only been times for the RWD Model 3, no AWD or Track mode Performance models have published times.

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
Agreed, I'm referring to the general public and press. My BMW and Porsche friends keep telling me Tesla's are a one trick pony and can't make it around the track without overheating.

I'm just waiting for some actual lap times. Preferably, 15% better than the BMW M3. There have only been times for the RWD Model 3, no AWD or Track mode Performance models have published times.
That's not how lap times work. 15% faster than an M3 would make it the fastest production car in the world. The Porsche 918 Spyder (the fastest on Motortrend's Laguna Seca list) is only 10% faster than an M3.

I also plan on tracking my P3, likely at Laguna Seca and probably Thunderhill.
Not sure what mods I will be doing yet, beyond wheels and tires. Likely coilovers with camber/toe adjustment parts, perhaps big brakes.

Vines where you located? San tracks I intend to make it too. Maybe plan on going same days

I intend on doing a 3-5 teach days a year. Definitely going to modify handing aspect of car. MPP coil overs and arms, plus rims and brakes.

Yes, I plan on tracking. I plan on lowering the car slightly. Will consider Mountain Pass coilovers. May change to staggered setup.

Most of my track rat friends whose cars come with staggered setups go to square as it generally fixes understeer tendencies. I guess it's a bit different on AWD cars where the plan is a bit more floor-it-and-yell-yee-haw on corner exit, but I'd rather have something with some balance, no matter how it's driven.

My fun car has a fairly severely staggered setup but I needed to do so to balance it BECAUSE it comes with huge rears from the factory. Along with non-adjustable rear camber (but adjustable front!) I need to add more rear tire to balance out the absurd grip from the adjustable camber fronts. YMMV.

Are you guys buying per-event track insurance for track days? Last I looked, normal insurance companies are closing the loophole on "non-timed non-competitive driving" and doing a blanket ban on "on surfaces used for racing."

When I used to track my daily I bought insurance through Lockton HPDE Insurance. I highly recommend it just in case. I haven't quoted a Tesla yet though or if they even would.

Reactions: CrazyCoconut
I may... I saw some the last time I was at Laguna Seca, but main concern is having enough power to last through the day. Can get 220 hookups, at Laguna would require another $100ish to rent a garage, but curious if a full day could be sustained between sessions.

But behind able to pass sound at Laguna going full tilt would be amazing. Would make me seriously consider a Roadster when they’re out.

I'd be interested in your thoughts once you do. Just to know how you like it, especially coming from a 911 GT car. I've only got experience with the 718 Cayman but that in and of itself is just insanely confidence inspiring. I'll be tracking mine as well. It should do well here in Colorado at elevation.