Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who pre-ordered before the car was seen?

Were you part of the 115,000 people who pre-ordered before the launch that evening?

• No

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 274 94.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since those who waited in line told us the URL, someone kept checking it and found that you could actually reserve from home online about 30 minutes before the website was scheduled to open. Does that count? ;)

That's interesting... I was on the website before the hour, and it did not let me order until after the official website open time.... Now I feel cheated...:(

Reactions: EV33
I waited in line at the Tesla store near Paris, while on holiday from the UK. Was worried I wouldn't be able to order a UK RHD version. Apparently it was fine. I was told there would be something coming my way as a token gesture for ordering in store before the unveiling.

Got to the Dedham, MA store on the 31st around 7:45am. I was about ~30th in line waiting. Store opened at 10:00am and at 10:40am I had put my reservation down. So I'm one of the ones Elon singled out as getting a token of appreciation.

As for what that is, I'm thinking a license plate bracket that says "Tesla Model ≡ Next" on it.

Cintoman

Reactions: EV33 and MrBoylan
I checked out the line at the closest store to work but it was far too long to realistically make it to my first meeting. Hundreds of people were lined up ahead of time and neighboring businesses had "No Tesla Parking" signs out. So I ordered online at 7:29pm but still without a glimpse of what I was reserving.

Was part of the hundred 115,000 people who pre-ordered before the launch that evening?
I have no idea what the poll question means so I did not answer it. I was in-line at the Manhattan stone at around 8:30 on the morning of 3/31, but they didn't open until 10:00 AM so the Montreal and probably Toronto crowd got their orders in ahead of me. I think I got my order in around 10:15 or 10:20 Eastern time on 3/31. I ordered because I didn't need to see it to know I wanted one. It's a Tesla with over 200 miles of range, a base price of $35K and hopefully a form factor that is more city-friendly than the S and X. Sold!

I waited in line because I wanted to potentially shorten my wait time for the car itself. I've been waiting for a looooooong time for a Tesla and waiting in line was a mild inconvenience for the peace of mind that it brought me.

Musk tweeted that we (store orderers/line-standers) would get some token of appreciation in the mail.

I'm expecting a Model S matchbox car and/or a Tesla baseball cap. Nothing major, but a nice gesture nonetheless.

I ordered mine 10:45am on the 31st before it was revealed :) hopefully I'll be in the cue list around 15k or so
Depends on how you measure the list. SpaceX and Tesla employees were able to put in their reservations online before any of us and current Tesla owners will be bumped ahead in the queue even if they ordered after we did (and particularly if they ordered before we did).

I'd estimate that this would effectively put us non-owners who stood in line at the stores somewhere higher than the 50,000 number. (Don't shoot the messenger... just trying to be realistic).

And it doesn't necessarily mean we will get our cars later than those earlier on the list. That will depend more on configuration and location than anything else.

I was at the store in Bethesda, Md at 6:30am and was probably 15-25th one
in line. Ten minutes after store opened I was finished and on my way to work. Think I was early enough to get the tax credit. My guess is that it's the current tesla owners who ordered in the first day or so who will be bumped up. For two reasons: 1) local current owners like local employees will be better guinea pigs to test and resolve early issues quickly, 2) current owners will buy loaded models (after all they could afford one or more S's or X's), and 3) I think that there was an implicit mandate for even current owners to get on board early -- there has to be a cut off somewhere.