Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who shouldn't buy a Tesla (or an MS)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The main reason to not buy the S is because it been around since 2012.

I personally like the model 3/y interior better I feel like it just a better design and to me feels more modern.

I went and got a model Y because it has the room and also what I feel like a more modern updated design.

To me this was enough to not buy and S. Also if I was buying an S. I also didn’t see any used ones for cheap enough so for me model Y was good alternative.

So if the dated design is ok with you then I say go for it.

the cybertruck is interesting but no way would I wait for that.
"Dated" lol

If "modern design" means having the cheapest possible material/layout choices to meet a specific & extreme entry-level price point then count me out on all cars moving forward. When I see the interior of the Model 3/Y all I see is a perfectly "basic in every way possible" interior (required to make it a price that previously people didn't even think was possible) designed by someone who forgot that the driver would actually need to drive it & view various aspects of it's operation. Then, when someone brought it to his or her attention at 4:52 on a Friday afternoon they literally slapped an iPad right smack dab in the middle of the dash and clocked out for the weekend.

This is obviously a subjective matter but when I see some of the things Model 3/Y owners tell themselves to justify their purchase I can't help but feel a little amused.

Reactions: tmyl21 and BigNick
Totally feel you on cars vs suvs.

As far as I can tell, the reasoning behind recommending the y/3 as the more reliable option is that it uses less weird gimmicks like handles that automatically present themselves and the gull wing doors. They also produce quite a bit more of the y and the three. And when a manufacturer produces the same thing over and over again, they have more opportunities to smooth out the rough edges. Not sure if the data really bears that out though. Also keep in mind that a lot of what you hear about the S are things that were resolved in 2017.

Normal people, I think should get the 3. I can see how some people might like the simple interior. I strongly prefer the interior of the S though.

Oh no! At least two people ITT pushing me back to the Y, which is where I started my journey. The Y is the only one I've ever test-driven (I am 4 hours away from a location). I enjoyed it greatly but was really looking forward to having a car rather than an SUV again (my daily driver has been a BMW X3).

Why do we think the Y would be less problematic than the S? I would have thought the S would be less likely to have problems precisely because the engineers have had so many years to iterate on the S, whereas the Y is new. Is this faulty logic?

With regards to people saying Cybertruck...I am definitely on the Cybertruck list!

You're seeing it the same way I am. People complain about how "dated" the Model S is but with that familiarity also comes progress & refinement. Look at how many issues those early Model S years had when it was an all-new car. Many of which didn't even surface for several years. Then they started developing the data of what was failing and creating new and better versions. One of the most problematic parts (door handles) was only recently revised into an item that is about 1/3 (or less) of the original cost and FAR more simple to be more robust and reliable long-term. If you think that an all-new model will somehow have nearly a decade of trail and error to make it more reliable... well... I dunno what to even say to that. Sure, the 3/Y is less complex and more simplistic by design so it should have fewer problems but it's also 1) an all new design in it's infancy and 2) made to suit a price point first and foremost. Neither of those fundamental traits screams reliability. Wait until we get another couple of years down the road on the 3's and maybe another 3-5 years on the Y before we crown them the reliability king of Tesla. Once start to see a recurring theme of problems starting to form like with the Model S and what those parts will take to make better we'll get a better idea of just how many corners Tesla cut to get that $35k car to market.

Reactions: tmyl21 and KalJoMoS
"Dated" lol

If "modern design" means having the cheapest possible material/layout choices to meet a specific & extreme entry-level price point then count me out on all cars moving forward. When I see the interior of the Model 3/Y all I see is a perfectly "basic in every way possible" interior (required to make it a price that previously people didn't even think was possible) designed by someone who forgot that the driver would actually need to drive it & view various aspects of it's operation. Then, when someone brought it to his or her attention at 4:52 on a Friday afternoon they literally slapped an iPad right smack dab in the middle of the dash and clocked out for the weekend.

This is obviously a subjective matter but when I see some of the things Model 3/Y owners tell themselves to justify their purchase I can't help but feel a little amused.

there is nothing wrong per say about the model S. When I first seen the model 3 dash I have to admit it turned me off.

Once I drove it though there simply was no comparison. now when I see a traditional dash it I don’t like It as it feels like a lot wasted space. Having most of the controls on a touchscreen I feel like is a major improvement. It vastly improves interior space.

The model Y to me also doesn’t feel like and SUV it definitely more like a 4 Sport door hatchback.most of SUV’s I had felt like I could take them off road and not fast like a model y.

"Dated" lol
I also found that hilarious.

I also felt exactly the same way till I drove a Model 3 for a couple of hours and then I realized its not as bad as some people make it out to be. Don't get me wrong, I definitely prefer the Model S, however the feeling of openness and the very low dash (not talking about the feeling of "price point" that you brought up) is definitely very nice and I think great engineering.

Not having an IC directly in front of me didn't seem to make any difference - I didn't miss the one in my S. I still prefer the S, but the M3 is definitely not horrible IMHO.

Reactions: Ostrichsak and SO16
Almost 6 years, 141,000 KM with a Model S85D, in a climate similar to yours, with (grand)children that I tote around occasionally.....my comments.
Absolutely fantastic, fun, fast and NOT DATED automobile. It handles beautifully in snow, but you will lose a bit of range.

Service - a couple of minor issues - door handles (known issue), UMC-1 replacement (known issue, older models only), 12V battery replacement, (known issue) and a heat pump replacement. The service centres that I've taken it to be fixed have ALL been top notch. Yes, there are some Canadian horror stories, but it's the same with all manufacturers.

The sales and delivery experience can be a little funky. Everything is done digitally. I'm old school, and like to talk to people.....not often the case with Tesla, but hopefully, you'll get a good delivery advisor, and they'll guide you through the process.

Children - well, getting the car seats in the back seat can be a chore... but once in place, shouldn't be an issue. However, if you are very tall, the car seat may hit the driver's seat. If you get a chance to drive one, take the car seat with you
You'll love not filling up at gas stations, and the new longer range batteries make long trips painless. The new V3 superchargers, free for you to use, are very fast.

Don't get the 21" rims. They are stilettos - absolutely sexy to see, but impractical. They cost you range, are very easy to blow in potholes( 2 for me, so far), and are expensive to replace. (see the 21' rims in my avatar? I speak from experience).

Buy the car. It's the best one I've ever owned.

Make sure that you FULLY understand how awful the "Customer Service" support is. It's regional but even if you happen to live near one of the "decent" service centers, the rules they have to play within are VERY restrictive to providing even decent customer service. If you have any problems odds are good they can be addressed by a mobile tech in which case you should be alright. In the lower likelihood you need to take it to or deal with the service center... good luck. If you don't mind not being able to call (literally) a human being at any point ever at Tesla... go right on ahead. Amazing cars and nothing else you can buy currently comes even remotely close. Just go into it with eyes wide open to the simple fact that as good as their cars are, the service is equally bad.

That said, I'm literally talking a buddy into buying a new one now. In his case, he had a P90DL that I found him previously. It just got totaled so he reached out to me to find him another similar one. Given his budget I told him to just get a new LR+ and be done with it. The caveat here is that he owned one previously, is aware of the god awful "Customer Service" support and was going to get another one anyway. The cars really are that good IMHO.

The moment ANY other maker comes out with something even close though, I'm out.
not to mention the recent price reductions

A little confusion that you guys can help me out with, hopefully? After entering my address I was told I would have to pick it up at the Service Center in Vancouver BC. But then I read this on the Tesla delivery FAQ (Canada):

What if I live far away from the nearest Service Center?
If you live more than 360 km from the closest Service Center, your vehicle can be shipped directly to your home or office. Payment in full is required before the car will ship, and a window for delivery will then be provided. We encourage you to consider picking up your vehicle at the Service Center, as it offers you the very best delivery experience, including the ability to schedule a specific day and time for delivery, meet your local service team and receive a full vehicle walkthrough. Our supercharger network enables long distance travel unlike any other electric vehicle – perfect for your trip home!​

I live about 450km away from the nearest Tesla center. Why am I not getting the option for home delivery?

If you can afford the Model S, go for it. If price is a concern, the model 3 has now been better with production flaws after a couple years. My biggest complaint with the Model 3 is the small trunk. Everyone I know that bought a Model Y has had some defect that needed fixing upon delivery. The Y production line is still suffering growing pains from what I see. My Model S arrived built to perfection. The only problem I had I fixed myself was the angle of the windshield washer jets needed aimed. Easy to do but takes a little time to test with each adjustment. It is popular now to claim the Model S is dated but actually only those prior to 2017 have an older style. I feel Those Model S's look dated but in reality, they were way ahead of their time in 2012. The 2020 MS is a more contemporary design sleeker look and has the longest range of any EV and is easier for an ICE driver to adapt to as it has an instrument cluster that the 3 and Y does not have. You can get used to the plain interior of the 3 and Y but I prefer the more plush interior of the Model S. I'm also not a fan of everything operating from the ipad like touch screen. Even the MS has a real button to open the glove compartment.

Also, it is rumored that the Model S is soon to get another 2021 update. We last had one in summer of 2019. So you might want to wait for that to see what new styles and features are added.

You should also consider in your budget a half body clear wrap and a Ceramic protection coating. It will make keeping the car clean and help with minor hits to the paint.

Reactions: tranzndance
A little confusion that you guys can help me out with, hopefully? After entering my address I was told I would have to pick it up at the Service Center in Vancouver BC. But then I read this on the Tesla delivery FAQ (Canada):

What if I live far away from the nearest Service Center?
If you live more than 360 km from the closest Service Center, your vehicle can be shipped directly to your home or office. Payment in full is required before the car will ship, and a window for delivery will then be provided. We encourage you to consider picking up your vehicle at the Service Center, as it offers you the very best delivery experience, including the ability to schedule a specific day and time for delivery, meet your local service team and receive a full vehicle walkthrough. Our supercharger network enables long distance travel unlike any other electric vehicle – perfect for your trip home!​

I live about 450km away from the nearest Tesla center. Why am I not getting the option for home delivery?

A Tesla sales advisor should contact you at some point. Ask them then.

I haven't read all the replies, so there may be duplication here.

1. Service sucks. I live 10 miles from 2 service centers and it still sucks. If you are FAR from a service center, it's way worse.

2. In the newer cars, they removed low regen. It is unsafe to drive on snow covered roads with standard regen, as you will skid as removing your foot from the accelerator is the same as hitting the brakes. The car is now designed for coastal California, apparently.

I won't be buying another Tesla unless there's a dramatic change in the way the company treats their customers.

If you can afford the Model S, go for it. If price is a concern, the model 3 has now been better with production flaws after a couple years. My biggest complaint with the Model 3 is the small trunk. Everyone I know that bought a Model Y has had some defect that needed fixing upon delivery. The Y production line is still suffering growing pains from what I see. My Model S arrived built to perfection. The only problem I had I fixed myself was the angle of the windshield washer jets needed aimed. Easy to do but takes a little time to test with each adjustment. It is popular now to claim the Model S is dated but actually only those prior to 2017 have an older style. I feel Those Model S's look dated but in reality, they were way ahead of their time in 2012. The 2020 MS is a more contemporary design sleeker look and has the longest range of any EV and is easier for an ICE driver to adapt to as it has an instrument cluster that the 3 and Y does not have. You can get used to the plain interior of the 3 and Y but I prefer the more plush interior of the Model S. I'm also not a fan of everything operating from the ipad like touch screen. Even the MS has a real button to open the glove compartment.

Also, it is rumored that the Model S is soon to get another 2021 update. We last had one in summer of 2019. So you might want to wait for that to see what new styles and features are added.

You should also consider in your budget a half body clear wrap and a Ceramic protection coating. It will make keeping the car clean and help with minor hits to the paint.
Almost 6 years, 141,000 KM with a Model S85D, in a climate similar to yours, with (grand)children that I tote around occasionally.....my comments.
Absolutely fantastic, fun, fast and NOT DATED automobile. It handles beautifully in snow, but you will lose a bit of range.

Service - a couple of minor issues - door handles (known issue), UMC-1 replacement (known issue, older models only), 12V battery replacement, (known issue) and a heat pump replacement. The service centres that I've taken it to be fixed have ALL been top notch. Yes, there are some Canadian horror stories, but it's the same with all manufacturers.

The sales and delivery experience can be a little funky. Everything is done digitally. I'm old school, and like to talk to people.....not often the case with Tesla, but hopefully, you'll get a good delivery advisor, and they'll guide you through the process.

Children - well, getting the car seats in the back seat can be a chore... but once in place, shouldn't be an issue. However, if you are very tall, the car seat may hit the driver's seat. If you get a chance to drive one, take the car seat with you
You'll love not filling up at gas stations, and the new longer range batteries make long trips painless. The new V3 superchargers, free for you to use, are very fast.

Don't get the 21" rims. They are stilettos - absolutely sexy to see, but impractical. They cost you range, are very easy to blow in potholes( 2 for me, so far), and are expensive to replace. (see the 21' rims in my avatar? I speak from experience).

Buy the car. It's the best one I've ever owned.

say wut?

2. In the newer cars, they removed low regen. It is unsafe to drive on snow covered roads with standard regen, as you will skid as removing your foot from the accelerator is the same as hitting the brakes. The car is now designed for coastal California, apparently.
I find it hard to believe that this will be permanent. It has to be a bug. Strong regen was removed in October last year whenever the ambient temps are close to 15 Celsius and below (59 Fahrenheit). No doubt to "protect" the battery.

The car would definitely be dangerous once warmed up and full regen is available and you're driving in snow/slush if you can't switch to low regen.