Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who will qualify for a free APP 3.0 HW update?

Who will qualify for a free APP 3.0 HW update?

• People who purchased FSD

Votes: 155 74.9%
  • People who purchased EAP

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • Everyone

Votes: 17 8.2%
  • No one (paid upgrade for everyone or not offered on older cars)

Votes: 9 4.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There goes any hope for FSD features "Late August"

View attachment 324269

No surprises there -- just more confusion. The new hardware was suppose to be for FSD only -- which is down the line -- and not for just for the "features" that were suppose to be rolled out soon. Now new hardware is needed for even adding some features? That makes no sense -- but even if true, how could Elon not know that? It sounds like an excuse that only gives rise to more confusion -- not less.

Last edited:
Reactions: dragonxt
I get the explanation, as do most here, but it's an odd one. FSD is FSD -- just not FSD until it is FSD, so for now, it's really just EAP but we charge you for FSD when it doesn't do FSD. That's basically what we're being told, and you laid out the specifics of it. I can see the next class action already.

Why Tesla does such nonsense -- when they have such a great product without it -- is beyond me.

It depends where you consider FSD to start. Right now EAP is SAE Level 2. 100% FSD is Level 5. Naturally, the car is not going to go from Level 2 to Level 5 with a single OTA. At some point, it will be at Level 3 then Level 4 - will those levels be part of FSD or EAP? While those levels are not 100% self driving, the system has shifted from human driver monitoring to automated driving system monitoring.

While I would love to have my 3 go out at pick up passengers (or the in-laws at the airport) without having to do anything, I will be perfectly happy having a system when I need to get to the freeway, but once on, I can do whatever I want (watch a video, take a nap), until the car tells me we have reached the exit at which point I take over monitoring again.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
It depends where you consider FSD to start.

I don't see there being any discretion at all based on considerations. It's like saying someone is pregnant with no baby in their stomach and when you ask why they say that's because she's just a little bit pregnant. Words don't work that way. Either you're pregnant or you are not, and either the car Full Self Drives or it does not. There's no discretion or consideration involved, except with Tesla.

They should offer a couple of extra tiers between EAP & FSD

Yes, that would do it. And it would be honest and fair.

It’s mind boggling that their legal team approved their website statements on FSD.

Me too. There's little doubt selling something as full self-driving that doesn't do that doesn't usually go well in court, even though some people on forums buy into it. But then again, given the recent piddly $5M class action settlement over the delays with AP, I think the cash earned by playing this game far outweighs the litigation headaches and settlements coming down the line.

Last edited:
No surprises there -- just more confusion. The new hardware was suppose to be for FSD only -- which is down the line -- and not for just for the "features" that were suppose to be rolled out soon. Now new hardware is needed for even adding some features? That makes no sense -- but even if true, how could Elon not know that? It sounds like an excuse that only gives rise to more confusion -- not less.

I don't see there being any discretion at all based on considerations. It's like saying someone is pregnant with no baby in their stomach and when you ask why they say that's because she's just a little bit pregnant. Words don't work that way. Either you're pregnant or you are not, and either the car Full Self Drives or it does not. There's no discretion or consideration involved, except with Tesla.

To be fair, Tesla always said EAP would be a four camera show and FSD an eight camera show. It is/was even in the configurator from the start. So there's that distinction, beyond the mere title of the package. Anything using more than four cameras would fall within FSD - as announced.

We know EAP uses the two front cameras (normal aka main and narrow) and plans are to use the side repeated cameras for blind-spot detection (automatic lane changes), so that's the four, I believe is widely expected.

Anything using the rest: B pillar cameras, rear-view camera or the front fisheye (I'm excluding standard features like rain detection and rear-view display) could IMO legitimately be consider an FSD feature.

Of course muddying all this is the fact that Tesla might well decide they need the front fisheye for some EAP related task, like speed-limit detection, though that could simply be a standard feature or implemented using the main front camera (similar FoV to AP1).

As for why Elon seems to have walked back on FSD features in August, I really doubt it had much to do with the hardware, the hardware is just another way of saying 3-6 more months perhaps? Originally FSD-only features were supposed to start rolling out 3-6 months from January 2017, so clearly announced on the original hardware...

My guess would be they need more time to improve accuracy and are still working on what to include in 9.0 and what not.

Do I get to sue Tesla for ‘FSD’ when my 6 year old sent off to school on their own cannot drive the car out of a situation where a pile up on a freeway means 1,000 cars all have to reverse back to the previous exit?
Sue Tesla? Absolutely not. It would be an insurance claim.

Just like today...you can't sue for EAP's faults.....its still beta and you click the button on the screen before use to take full responsibility.

Anything that happens to your car or by your car is covered by insurance....not covered by Tesla.