Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who would give up free supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would give up free supercharging on my car(s) if Tesla would write me a check for the $2,500 ($5,000 for both cars) (seems to be the number thrown around a lot) The only trip I routinely take requires me to use my CHAdeMO adapter which means I pay anyway. The way it should work vs the reality is many of those like myself are paying for many many others to have unrestricted free daily use of the SC system. The value proposition is just not there for me even at free.

I would give up free supercharging on my car(s) if Tesla would write me a check for the $2,500 ($5,000 for both cars) (seems to be the number thrown around a lot) The only trip I routinely take requires me to use my CHAdeMO adapter which means I pay anyway. The way it should work vs the reality is many of those like myself are paying for many many others to have unrestricted free daily use of the SC system. The value proposition is just not there for me even at free.
Make that $600. When Tesla charged $2500 to activate supercharging in the early S60 in which it was an option, they said the cost was for the DC charging hardware and software IN THE CAR. If someone wanted it activated just for CHAdeMO and not Tesla supercharging, the cost would be $1900. I doubt anyone would choose that though as an additional $600 would enable supercharging.

False. Completely False.

What kind of POS are you driving that gets 30 MPG? Sure, if you want to drive a V10 Lamborghini across the nation, then it's even CHEAPER to supercharge!!!!!! Yay!

Let's compare real numbers, shall we?

Modern "average" cars get between 40 and 60 MPG. My VW Diesel gets between 45 and 55 MPG. It would use about 50 gallons going your hypothetical 2500 miles. That would be less than $150 in fuel costs to go 2500 miles. It would also take me at LEAST 8 - 10 hours extra to drive in a Tesla that same distance, if not more. I charge about $150/hr for my time in most cases, so, lets be generous and say 5 hours of "wasted" time Supercharging.

That's $150 in fuel, plus another $750 in lost time (it's really closer to $1500 in lost time, but I'm being generous). So for $40 in savings, I can waste 8 hours, or I can drive an ICE car, spend almost half the time driving and pay $40 more. Gosh... which one makes more sense?

Now, this doesn't factor in the Autopilot convenience, etc... but you didn't mention any of that. The fact is, with the cost of Supercharging, it doesn't make a lot of sense to drive a Tesla across the country if you have an alternative, from a purely financial standpoint. There may be other factors that make it favorable to you, but financially, it's absolutely silly if you are paying for Supercharging, as the cost difference between a modern gas car and Supercharging is so small as to be pointless. Additionally, as a side note, you probably spend more than $40 in those 8 hours of extra stop time (food, snacks, etc...) than you save.

Yeah, no. Supercharging to save money is bunk.

show me another car that seats more than 5 people that gets even 30 mpg

I guess if your road tripping by yourself then a VW diesel is a great road car to kill the earth with..

something tells me you probably are always only traveling with yourself so youre making the best choice.. congratulations

Last edited:
Make that $600. When Tesla charged $2500 to activate supercharging in the early S60 in which it was an option, they said the cost was for the DC charging hardware and software IN THE CAR. If someone wanted it activated just for CHAdeMO and not Tesla supercharging, the cost would be $1900. I doubt anyone would choose that though as an additional $600 would enable supercharging.

When I bought my S85 in 2012, they said something like the last 10 kwh cost $8k, and they charged me $2k more (it was something like $10k cost to go from 70 or 75 kwh to 85, hmm the math may not add up) & the 2k was for the supercharging or something like that. It always seemed dodgy, but then I went on my first trip with a supercharger and wow, it was like living in the future! I've never yet been to a full supercharger, but the PNW isn't as bad a Cali by all accounts.

False. Completely False.
Yeah, no. Supercharging to save money is bunk.

Well that’s terrific. I disagree with a few of your clearly false and misleading posts on one thread, so you go and dislike every single one of my posts on every subject. Way to be a good sport, clearly contributing much to the forums. Hopefully the moderators can deal with you at some point...

Very interesting thread. I have a 2015 with free lifetime supercharging, but I use it only occasionally, usually one long vacation trip per year, plus 2 or 3 long weekends. Longest trip, Boston area to Maryland and back. So, realistically, the purely economic impact to me of losing free charging would be small.

Two other points. One, the cost comparison to ICE cars is very dependent on the assumed price of electricity and the comparison ICE vehicle. Here in MA, we have the highest electricity prices in the continental US, so I suspect our supercharger rates are also correspondingly higher than in most other places. (23 cents per kWh, per the rates on Tesla.com.) If I make the comparison to the Mercedes sedans I used to drive, which required premium fuel, my Model S comes out a bit ahead on cost per mile even if I pay for electricity. But if I compare it to my wife's Corolla, the cost per mile is about the same or a bit less for her car. Seems to me that it is unreasonable to compare the cost of a Model S to a Corolla -- different sizes, capacities, etc. So the comparison should be to a similar size car, at least.

Second, one of the best parts of supercharging is the plug-and-play aspect -- no RFIDs or credit cards or driver's licenses or any other authentication needed. That helps the process feel quicker and more convenient than typical public charging. Plus, the superchargers usually work.

So, I am glad I have it and will continue to use it, but the advantages are only modest in dollars but large in comfort, convenience, and simplicity.