Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who would prefer Waze Navigation?

Who would prefer Waze navigation instead of Google maps?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a Brodit mount for my iPhone that sits just behind the steering wheel. I have TomTom as I find the traffic and re-routing to be superior to anything else I've tried. Usually have the satnav running on the M3 as well. Ideally would have PocketGPSWorld cameralert running on another screen somewhere if I had room for it! I do like Waze and I used to do a lot of map editing in the not too distant past. Prefer TomTom especially in areas where it's hard to get an internet connection as maps are offline but updated frequently.

@darkNstormy you wouldn't have a link to the Brodit mount you use, would you? They seem to have so many it is hard to work out which one to get!

My Topfit one seems to have started falling off the dash, suspect due to not coping well with the recent heat.

So in the market for a replacement.

Barry

@darkNstormy you wouldn't have a link to the Brodit mount you use, would you? They seem to have so many it is hard to work out which one to get!

My Topfit one seems to have started falling off the dash, suspect due to not coping well with the recent heat.

So in the market for a replacement.

Barry

655497 Brodit Proclip: ProClip Center mount for Tesla 3 18-20

You need to get the phone holder separately depending on your phone / case and whether you want a charging cable fixed as part of the unit or whether you just plug your own in underneath. The ones with a charging cable are much more expensive but then far less hassle, although it means when I upgrade my phone I'll need to get a new holder :(

Leaving the charging cable plugged in also means I have to leave the top centre console door open as it won't close with a cable in. If you're handy I'm sure you could manufacture an alternative route through for cable which depends on your levels of OCD and whether you can / want / are allowed to make any modifications to the car.

655497 Brodit Proclip: ProClip Center mount for Tesla 3 18-20

You need to get the phone holder separately depending on your phone / case and whether you want a charging cable fixed as part of the unit or whether you just plug your own in underneath. The ones with a charging cable are much more expensive but then far less hassle, although it means when I upgrade my phone I'll need to get a new holder :(

Leaving the charging cable plugged in also means I have to leave the top centre console door open as it won't close with a cable in. If you're handy I'm sure you could manufacture an alternative route through for cable which depends on your levels of OCD and whether you can / want / are allowed to make any modifications to the car.

Thanks for that.

I did see this mount. Do you have it mounted behind the steering wheel as it appears to show in their pictures?

I thought it looked tricky to plug/unplug the phone when you get in/out if it is there. Also I prefer my phone mounted in portrait and thought it would be obscured by the steering wheel?

Don't want to hijack the thread on Waze, but would be interested how you use yours.

Barry

Two points for you, @Jonny Ringo

1. Waze is owned by Google and I do suspect they use the same traffic and routing data.
  2. There is a site you can use in the car's browser, TeslaWaze Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information
I found the latter too slow, but that is the ancient browser [in MCU1 anyway].

Stay Safe,

Tony
While I would like to believe that you get the same routing whether you use Waze or Google, I haven't found that to be the case in real life.

The other day a friend and I were heading somewhere. He suggested to go a particular way. Apparently he, not rusting my Tesla nav system, brought up Waze. His directions were completely different than mine. (Here in L.A. there are many ways to get to the same place) I had been under the impression that Waze, being a Google company would route us the same, but that wasn't the case that day.

I do wonder whether Waze/Google, when receiving identical direction requests from the same place at the same time might route the two vehicles differently just to "load share" the freeway network. Maybe? IDK.

All of this is based on the assumption that Tesla's nav data is also provided by Google. Is that right?

What about addition abetterrouteplanner? That allows multiple destinations and other charging stations.
I'm not convinced by the routing of abrp. Wake has always been the most consistent nav system I have used. A combo of waze routing, traffic awareness and ability to log hazards combined with ABRPs EV calculations and charger routing would be my dream.

While I would like to believe that you get the same routing whether you use Waze or Google, I haven't found that to be the case in real life.
All of this is based on the assumption that Tesla's nav data is also provided by Google. Is that right?
No its not, Tesla don't use google. The google map is just a backdrop and Tesla use separate map data (which in the UK is still 2019) and their own routing. Even the traffic data they use isn't google which is why you often get diversions off the road when google is not showing an issue and vice versa. So I wouldn't expect Tesla and Google/waze to be the same.

Not sure what is being polled here. My understanding is that Tesla built-in Nav uses google maps for the map data but uses their own algorithm for directions. Similarly, Waze uses Google maps also (since they are owned by Google) but (presumably) uses their own directional algorithm.

The fact is, the Tesla directions system is not just for directions: it also handles navigating via superchargers, NoA directions, and (soon) FSD directions, none of which are going to be available via a 3rd party mapping system.

Reactions: Yachtsman
Not sure what is being polled here. My understanding is that Tesla built-in Nav uses google maps for the map data but uses their own algorithm for directions. Similarly, Waze uses Google maps also (since they are owned by Google) but (presumably) uses their own directional algorithm.

The fact is, the Tesla directions system is not just for directions: it also handles navigating via superchargers, NoA directions, and (soon) FSD directions, none of which are going to be available via a 3rd party mapping system.
Tesla don't use google maps. What you see in the car is just an underlay on the screen and the maps for navigation Tesla use are sourced elsewhere and on the UK are still a 2019 version. The Tesla map and Google maps generally align as you'd expect but you do find new roads, speed limits etc which have changed since about mid 2019 different between the two.

Waze don’t uses google maps, it’s an entirely separate, user created, map. Waze Map Editor

Never really got on with Waze when I had Android Auto - wasn't sure about the interface (maybe a bit too 'playful' for me?) and always stuck with Google, which worked well.

I'd like the option of Android Auto in the M3, but I can't see that happening tbh.
This sums up my feelings pretty well. I like Waze’s crowdsourced stuff, which is great, but I never really got on with its UI either.

Old before my time I guess. :)