Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who would prefer Waze Navigation?

Who would prefer Waze navigation instead of Google maps?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be nice if Tesla opened up the system to have third party apps in a sandboxed environment, but I think that's a long way off if it ever happens (which is unlikely). I see no reason to believe that anything radical will happen on that front in the practical lifetime of the car, including stuff like Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, etc.
I can understand with the Model 3 and Y where the infotainment system and car controls are one and the same thing. You don't want third parties on that. Looking at Model S Plaid videos though, it seems they have "cards" or window on the infotainment. No reason why you can't segregate them and have and android auto/ apple carplay virtual machine running. As you say though I just can't see it happening. It doesn't seem very "Tesla" to allow other technologies. No matter how superior.

Reactions: Durzel
You could have things running in a virtualised environment, like a window within a window on the main screen. It would be good enough if stuff like Waze could be run in the space that the map takes up, with the core controls inaccessible to apps.

The main problem I think would be containerised apps using up too much CPU or memory, and making the whole UI sluggish. I don't think the Model 3 CPU hardware is particularly powerful.

It's a pipe dream though, I can't see it happening in the practical lifetime of our cars, and probably the next generation cars as well, if it ever happens. Especially given apparently reading the user manual in the car can cause the whole thing to crash.

You could have things running in a virtualised environment, like a window within a window on the main screen. It would be good enough if stuff like Waze could be run in the space that the map takes up, with the core controls inaccessible to apps.

The main problem I think would be containerised apps using up too much CPU or memory, and making the whole UI sluggish. I don't think the Model 3 CPU hardware is particularly powerful.

It's a pipe dream though, I can't see it happening in the practical lifetime of our cars, and probably the next generation cars as well, if it ever happens. Especially given apparently reading the user manual in the car can cause the whole thing to crash.
Your pipe dream, my daily use of Teslamirror app putting Waze, ABRP, Flitsmeister and other usefull phone applications like Whatsapp, Spotify, Podcasts and Youtube in the Tesla browser space

Interesting, thanks. Doesn't have many good reviews on the App Store though :( I wonder if the Android version is better?
Interesting, thanks. Doesn't have many good reviews on the App Store though :( I wonder if the Android version is better?
It is a brillant showcase using screen casting over a vpn-tunneled webserver to open up the Tesla flatscreen for all third party applications on both ios & android. The poor implementation of Chrome browser by Tesla can make it appear buggy sometimes

I can understand with the Model 3 and Y where the infotainment system and car controls are one and the same thing. You don't want third parties on that. Looking at Model S Plaid videos though, it seems they have "cards" or window on the infotainment. No reason why you can't segregate them and have and android auto/ apple carplay virtual machine running. As you say though I just can't see it happening. It doesn't seem very "Tesla" to allow other technologies. No matter how superior.

Yeah, there seems to be a certain degree of either arrogance or pigheadedness going on; Andoid Auto and Apple CarPlay seem to be available in every EV being launched right now and Tesla are going to start looking out of date within a couple of years I think.

To pick up on the thread topic, I think their navigation system is one of the best in-car ones that I have ever encountered, but I can think of half a dozen phone apps that I find much better in various situations and which I'd probably use 90% of the time instead of the car's built-in system. For our family the major advantage of these systems is keeping a consistent interface for maps/music/whatever when you drive any of our cars.

Right now I'm caught between wanting Tesla to start offering AA/CP and worrying that they would do it so begrudgingly that it would be a terrible experience.

Reactions: Obliter8 and Neilio
I've never missed Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, but I accept it could be one of those things that is so good that you don't know you're missing it until you've tried it.

I just drive to where I need to go. If someone calls me I can answer it through the car. If I need navigation I use the built-in one. Beyond that I don't need to be reading messages (although they do come through and can be responded to), emails, and God knows what else - because I'm driving. I can't think of anything that important that it can't wait until I get to my destination, and anything that important - they'll call me.

EDIT: I have an iPhone, iMac, MacBook Pro, AirPods, Apple Watch, etc so it's not like unaware of the interconnected benefits of this stuff, but I think there is something to be said about not being tethered to your phone, or indeed an ecosystem, every waking moment of your day.

I dunno, I've used Android Auto on a number of cars, and it's a pain in the hole. Until recently, you had to plug the phone in, so that's a massive annoyance, and then I only use it for local music (already in the car), Spotify (in the car) and Google Maps (in the car).

Waze is a bit better, but I find the Google Maps iteration plenty good enough.

What I do value is a lightning fast UI that feels and reacts exactly as it should. Which you basically don't get in any other car. So, personally, I'm plenty happy with exactly what's there (but with more frequent map updates)

I dunno, I've used Android Auto on a number of cars, and it's a pain in the hole. Until recently, you had to plug the phone in, so that's a massive annoyance, and then I only use it for local music (already in the car), Spotify (in the car) and Google Maps (in the car).

Waze is a bit better, but I find the Google Maps iteration plenty good enough.

What I do value is a lightning fast UI that feels and reacts exactly as it should. Which you basically don't get in any other car. So, personally, I'm plenty happy with exactly what's there (but with more frequent map updates)
Android Auto is far more useful than that. You can get audio from podcasts, tune in (i know, also in car) Youtube music pretty much any music service of your choosing. Including a choice between waze or Gmaps. It offers for more functionality than the Tesla system

Reactions: TestPilot
Android Auto is far more useful than that. You can get audio from podcasts, tune in (i know, also in car) Youtube music pretty much any music service of your choosing. Including a choice between waze or Gmaps. It offers for more functionality than the Tesla system
One great thing about Android Auto is that you take your in-car experience with you, whatever car you get in that supports it has all your contacts, favourite destinations, music stations and music library, navigation system preferences, everything.

The Tesla system is great, but I don't really see any reason why they couldn't also have AA or ACP support in a window for those that want to use it. Those that don't, don't.

Reactions: SpareHeadOne

I think there's a risk of getting into pointless argument territory here. It's fine to not like Android Auto or CarPlay and to prefer the Tesla interface, but it would be really nice to have the option even if you personally never use it.

I don't use Amazon Prime Music or Apple Music or Google Play Music, but I have no objections to Tesla making them available in the car if they decide to.

If you happen to think (not you personally Neillo) the Tesla navigation is great and better than anything on your phone? Great, knock yourself out, I don't want that taken away.

Meanwhile, can those of us who would prefer something else be allowed to have that?

I think there's a risk of getting into pointless argument territory here. It's fine to not like Android Auto or CarPlay and to prefer the Tesla interface, but it would be really nice to have the option even if you personally never use it.

I don't use Amazon Prime Music or Apple Music or Google Play Music, but I have no objections to Tesla making them available in the car if they decide to.

If you happen to think (not you personally Neillo) the Tesla navigation is great and better than anything on your phone? Great, knock yourself out, I don't want that taken away.

Meanwhile, can those of us who would prefer something else be allowed to have that?

Of course! But that's development and management resources that will not be spent elsewhere.

I replied as this thread represents a range of views, including a robust third who agree with me. The stuff that @Neilio and @Marc Roberts replied with for instance, are either already present in all or part, or irrelevant to me. For me, what we have is already better than any other car's system, so I would far rather they spend limited resource on making AP/TACC work perfectly, and synching google map updates properly. I want them to keep pushing the envelope and innovating, rather than 'making a faster horse'.

Of course! But that's development and management resources that will not be spent elsewhere.

I replied as this thread represents a range of views, including a robust third who agree with me. The stuff that @Neilio and @Marc Roberts replied with for instance, are either already present in all or part, or irrelevant to me. For me, what we have is already better than any other car's system, so I would far rather they spend limited resource on making AP/TACC work perfectly, and synching google map updates properly. I want them to keep pushing the envelope and innovating, rather than 'making a faster horse'.
Well, none of the stuff about your stuff coming with you when you move between different cars is there in any way at all with the exception of Spotify if you happen to pay for that, and for premium connectivity.

Anyway, I don't mean to say that other people's priorities are wrong, just that I personally would benefit from it. And again, personally, do that instead of putting Cyberpunk 2077 in there, if you're going to talk about resource management :p
I mean, it's essentially just a remote desktop client...

Reactions: Neilio
I think that Tesla see themselves as having an app store revenue model at some point in the future, so opening up AA and CarPlay would detract from that. Elon has said that entertainment for people while self-driving will be a big market, and I bet he wants to be able to control it.

I agree that's not really in the customer's interests.

Well, none of the stuff about your stuff coming with you when you move between different cars is there in any way at all with the exception of Spotify if you happen to pay for that, and for premium connectivity.

Anyway, I don't mean to say that other people's priorities are wrong, just that I personally would benefit from it. And again, personally, do that instead of putting Cyberpunk 2077 in there, if you're going to talk about resource management :p
I mean, it's essentially just a remote desktop client...

Oh, I'm with you. It's not perfect, and more choice is usually good. For me, having a HUD trumps everything, and despite being a gamer I would choose that in a heartbeat instead of a huge catalogue of games, AA/CarPlay, or better voice control.

I think that Tesla see themselves as having an app store revenue model at some point in the future, so opening up AA and CarPlay would detract from that. Elon has said that entertainment for people while self-driving will be a big market, and I bet he wants to be able to control it.

I agree that's not really in the customer's interests.
Interesting, especially in light of the revenue model re-positioning happening with Apple/Epic/Google etc.

What about all those who no longer have premium connectivity. They are more likely to have a music streaming service that works through android auto. That's just one single function too. As we have established mapping is better, and offer more variety. On the phone apps. Plus there is the convenience of messaging. Not just SMS but WhatsApp/telegram/wechat(possibly) I don't think it'd take a massive development. The software most already exist, as pretty much every other car manufacturer offers it now. It'd just be a case of installing it on current infotainment. It seems strange to me that people praise Tesla for their "technology" yet some simple technologies available to all other manufacturers get ignored by Tesla.

What about all those who no longer have premium connectivity. They are more likely to have a music streaming service that works through android auto. That's just one single function too. As we have established mapping is better, and offer more variety. On the phone apps. Plus there is the convenience of messaging. Not just SMS but WhatsApp/telegram/wechat(possibly) I don't think it'd take a massive development. The software most already exist, as pretty much every other car manufacturer offers it now. It'd just be a case of installing it on current infotainment. It seems strange to me that people praise Tesla for their "technology" yet some simple technologies available to all other manufacturers get ignored by Tesla.
I'm not an IT guy, I don't know what the ramifications of enabling and maintaining those services are. My experience is that what you think in IT world is 'easy' is usually vastly complicated.

In any event, my point wasn't that I disagree with you necessarily, just that enabling it is a far lower priority from my perspective than other things. I think we should have the option, but not at the expense of system speed and responsiveness, and I would rather they developed a HUD first.

To address your points specifically, you can still stream your service of choice via BT, the Google Maps is better than any other car maker's solution I've ever driven (inc. BMW, Audi, Merc), and 'good enough' for many people, and you shouldn't be messaging while you're driving anyway.