Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whole forum site is depressing. If some don't like their Tesla then buy another car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. I've not had to much trouble with Service (could be better, but acceptable). But Sales was pretty piss poor the 2nd time around.

I'll have go with Service (Mobile) Friday on something that SHOULD be simple, we'll see how that goes.

Simple stuff isn't usually a problem from my experiences, other than the time it takes for simple stuff to get handled is usually pretty staggering compared to other manufacturers.

It's when you ask for paint defects to be corrected, undercarriage (battery case) damage to be corrected, other damage they created when fixing those other issues, etc. where service really sh!t the bed on both of my cars to the point where they are down right spiteful these days and are allowed to operate in that manner by the regional service manager all the way up to their managing council... That is the stuff they need to fix. The culture. Accountability. It is not going to go well on a mass market product like the 3... Only the diehards tolerate service issues and the diehards already have their cars... I don't even know how that change is going to happen when they see their CEO calling people derogatory names and hiring ex cons to try to dig up dirt on them...

Last edited:
I think the forum site exists to help fellow members with issues their car has, and criticism can make you stronger. Tesla is a car company that has a lot of issues that need to be addressed in qc and service. I think that is undeniable at this point.

Us fans are willing to overlook these issues because we are fans and we recognize Tesla is a young car company. For Tesla to trusty become successful they are gonna need to get better, and thusly need to be called out.

Most people who complain love the car but want an issue fixed. Tesla leaves you hanging sometime until EVENTUALLY fixing it... I can understand the frustration....

Reactions: Shemp and super20g
I personally joined this forum instead of the Tesla hosted forum because I want to hear honest unfiltered info... both good and bad. I think most of us agree that our 3's are amazing, that's why we bought them. I love my 3 so far, but there are things that I would change, and people have issues.... this forum is a place where we can communicate about those issues, discuss fixes, etc. More information from other owners is helpful as is honest feedback. If the site was nothing Tesla worship, it wouldn't be useful.

...just my $0.02

Reactions: holmgang
I personally joined this forum instead of the Tesla hosted forum because I want to hear honest unfiltered info... both good and bad. I think most of us agree that our 3's are amazing, that's why we bought them. I love my 3 so far, but there are things that I would change, and people have issues.... this forum is a place where we can communicate about those issues, discuss fixes, etc. More information from other owners is helpful as is honest feedback. If the site was nothing Tesla worship, it wouldn't be useful.

...just my $0.02

What, the Tesla forum is NOT unfiltered?!? :eek:

I've said it before, but the reality is about half of the people on here can't afford their cars.
They've all come from 15 year old Priuses and thus expect this to be absolutely perfect because it costs 10 times what their last car was worth.

Every issue is the biggest deal in the world. It's why we have daily threads saying omg I lost 5 miles of range, or omg my screen rebooted.
Every single thread has people saying they're taking their car into Tesla and that it's completely unacceptable that Tesla didn't build a perfect car.

I'm on another car forum and it's full of people driving everything from McLarens to Ferraris. The model 3 thread there has absolutely no whining because people there understand that a $35k car isn't going to be perfect. Do they care when Tesla doesn't call them back, sure, is it the worst experience ever and they're going to tell everybody how Tesla ruined their lives? Absolutely not.

It's about expectations. In the grand scheme of things Tesla is a new company, and as such has a lot of opportunity to make things better. But it doesn't change the fact that we own the best car on the planet.

Most people new to Tesla aren’t on these forums for months prior to purchasing. They know what the website says and what the sales person told them. Not everyone loses the sense of their money’s worth because they have a lot of it either. So if you’re hearing a sales person say you’ll get x miles per charge and you plug the thing in and right off the bat you’re not getting that, it’s reasonable for people to say ‘wtf?’ When they learn that yes you get x miles per charge but you shouldn’t access it regularly because you should only charge to 80-90%, I can see some people saying ‘huh, what? This wasn’t explained to me. Where do I find that on the website?’

So spending $35k and up for a car and wanting what was sold to you isn’t a lower net income phenomenon. I can afford my car and I kind of expect it to be what was advertised. Tesla does a disservice to themselves by back dooring people on things they could easily educate the public about. Have a section on the sales site about how to care for your battery. Expect to lose range on the cold etc. Why wait for people to be upset first?

Other issues like screen reboots and build quality are all fair game complaints when you decide to buy a Tesla because again, they don’t say ‘it’s a great car but expect some paint issues or early rust or the screen rebooting out of the blue’. So when it happens, the people who were a bit intimidated by the switch to Tesla from an ICE become worried. I think these forums are a great place to exchange ideas and educate others so that they don’t bog Tesla down with inquiries about screen reboots and black screen reverse cameras.

Having said all of that, I love my car. Wouldn’t go back to an ICE either. It’s the most fun I’ve ever had driving. I wasn’t intimidated by the technology and found the learning experience enjoyable. Not everyone does and they’re certainly entitled to ask ‘why is my battery only showing y when I was sold on x’. Further, they’re entitled to an answer. This forum helps them and it should.
It’s not the Tesla Minions Club. The sooner we all realize the target market is no longer millionaire sycophants the better.

I spent some time on the Tesla.com forum a few years ago and it appeared to me that it was unmoderated, which for me made it not useful; too much anger and abuse.

As far as I know it is “unfiltered” but maybe that has changed.

I prefer TMC.
I hang out on both. Tesla occasionally takes action on their forum for something they consider extreme, but essentially it is unmoderated. So it has a different culture than this one—more Wild West.

Telsa is a brand that gets strong opinions.
For some Telsa can never make a mistake
For others Telsa is evil and costing other people jobs

Then you have the actual car owners...
Many of which are very picky about the minor details, as brand forums tend to attract those type.
Most of the actual Model 3 owners are too busy driving their Model 3 or working to pay for their Model 3 to spend time on an Internet forum.

I spent some time on the Tesla.com forum a few years ago and it appeared to me that it was unmoderated, which for me made it not useful; too much anger and abuse.

I prefer TMC.

Doesn't matter if it seems to be unfiltered, as being private property, they can do what they want with it and there is no easy way to monitor them. I think that's what the poster is getting at. This site we know how it is monitored, Tesla he has to guess at. Anecdotally, doesn't seem to be filtered. I know Apple heavily filters and censors their forums. People are banned for giving advice that they don't approve of, ie. how to fix your device.

Reactions: Shemp

I prefer TMC.

Sorry, I debated putting a /s on my comment but it wasn't totally sarcastic in nature. My point was that the Tesla.com forum is clearly and fully unfiltered, as well as unmoderated. Shemp mentioned coming here because they wanted "honest and unfiltered info". Just because Tesla'.com's forum is unmoderated, doesn't necessarily negate the "honest and unfiltered" standard that Shemp set. Fully unfiltered as Tesla.com's forum is does cause a lot of superfluous and angry comments which I agree takes away from some of the usefulness. All

This forum, while still having lots of superfluous comments, does do a good job of reining in the angry and nasty comments, which is why I come here...and filter(as best as I can) my own comments.

Reactions: jjrandorin