Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whole house surge protector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m in the process of getting home charging setup, and I wondered what the general wisdom is on the need for a whole house surge protector in the panel to protect the car. Has anyone decided to get one or not get one for any particular reason?

It is not very expensive and does not take much effort to install, so why not.

That being said, most people don't have one. They don't think about the issue and are living fine without one. That's kind of how insurance/preparedness works.

I out a whole suite of protection form this company when we bought our house several years back
Delta Lightning Arrestors
arrestors, surge capacitor, hardwired telephone...
I have no idea if they really work, but several years later so far so good...at least I sleep a bit better when the storms come knowing that at least I've tried.....

Thinking through my possible purchase of an EV lately and my charging situation, I happened to think the other day about RV pwoer monitors. I'm also an RV'er and these things are popular in that world. I have a hardwired one in my RV.... it drops out for things like low voltage, open grounds, etc....
https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-pt50x
wonder if anyone uses something like this for their cars....or if it's even needed.
The cars probably already have such protection built in.... I would hope