Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's getting the normal steering wheel?

Getting normal steering wheel?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That makes sense. But I really wonder if they are putting potentially up to 3 year old used airbags into new cars. If not, they will never use up all that yoke airbag inventory so they didn't really get that $700 value back.
They have to let you keep the yoke airbag. I intend to swap back and for from the yoke to the round wheel and visa versa quite often so I’ll need a yoke airbag also. What is Tesla going to do with a Sh-t load of used yoke airbags. I can’t believe they will insist on taking your airbag and letting you keep the yoke when they do the swap.

They have to let you keep the yoke airbag. I intend to swap back and for from the yoke to the round wheel and visa versa quite often so I’ll need a yoke airbag also. What is Tesla going to do with a Sh-t load of used yoke airbags. I can’t believe they will insist on taking your airbag and letting you keep the yoke when they do the swap.
I just swapped my yoke for a wheel, on the MX. They didn't let me keep the airbag.
Which is OK, not going back to the yoke. Forgot how effortless the wheel is vs the yoke, on u-turns and back in parking.

After several drives yesterday after my initial impression with the round wheel, a new impression I have is how incredibly *normal* the car looks and feels now with the round wheel.

That's a good thing in general, but it is a little sad not to have that weirdness of the car from the yoke. I feel like I am driving in any nice car now instead of one that is unlike any other car that doesn't have an infuriating yoke. 🤣

Last edited:
After several drives yesterday after my initial impression with the round wheel, a new impression I have is how incredible *normal* the car looks and feels now with the round wheel.

That's a good thing in general, but it is a little sad not to have that weirdness of the car from the yoke. I feel like I am driving in any nice car now instead of one that is unlike any other car that doesn't have an infuriating yoke. 🤣
Yeah, the car is far more enjoyable to drive now, more so than I did with the yoke. I actually want to drive the car now.

The one downside I am having to deal with the steering is that, I am driving the car a bit more spirited compared to before when I just cared to cruise, so I was more relaxed and didn't care to push the car. Even more so when taking those windy onramps to the HWY or driving down curvy roads.

Reactions: Luka816
The airbag is the easy part of the uninstall/install. You just pop it out with two small screwdrivers, and unplug it. Easy peasy.
I question is, is the new rounded wheel’s airbag from Tesla really different in its deployment than their yoke airbag. I know the part #s are different but is it really a different design and is it dangerous to use a yoke airbag on a rounded wheel ? I would hope the yoke airbag is compatible since that’s what all the aftermarket rounded wheels are using, Secret EV, TSportline, Hansshow, Pimp my EV, etc. The method and direction of deployment would seem to be the same.

I question is, is the new rounded wheel’s airbag from Tesla really different in its deployment than their yoke airbag. I know the part #s are different but is it really a different design and is it dangerous to use a yoke airbag on a rounded wheel ? I would hope the yoke airbag is compatible since that’s what all the aftermarket rounded wheels are using, Secret EV, TSportline, Hansshow, Pimp my EV, etc. The method and direction of deployment would seem to be the same.

It's almost all speculation at this point, but Franz von Holzhausen mentioned in a podcast that they had to design the airbag to work with the yoke, since it doesn't have a backing surface. So there is "something" about the yoke+airbag combo that had to be engineered differently.

What that is, we don't know.
Whether it matters, we don't know.
But I'm not the one who wants to find out, quite literally, in a life+death situation, either.

Reactions: Laddcruzer
It's almost all speculation at this point, but Franz von Holzhausen mentioned in a podcast that they had to design the airbag to work with the yoke, since it doesn't have a backing surface. So there is "something" about the yoke+airbag combo that had to be engineered differently.

What that is, we don't know.
Whether it matters, we don't know.
But I'm not the one who wants to find out, quite literally, in a life+death situation, either.

My guess is that the airbag itself is a different shape. It probably has more area of inflation on the back side at the top of the bag.

• Informative
Reactions: dmurphy
My guess is that the airbag itself is a different shape. It probably has more area of inflation on the back side at the top of the bag.
Agreed, that'd be my "totally-not-an-automotive-engineer-but-stayed-at-a-holiday-inn-express-years-ago" guess as well. Some cushioning between the back of the bag and the instrument panel.

So the physical pack probably looks identical from outside, but the fabric inside is shaped differently, would be my guess for a nickel. What that would do if it blows off with a fully round third party wheel behind it? No clue. I've read that some of the 3rd party wheels are made of, basically, hardened modeling clay.

Not exactly the kinda thing I want a foot from my face with an explosive device inflating a precision made airbag going off.

My guess as well now that we have learned of two different part numbers each for a different wheel shape combined with what Franz spoke of about development of such.

If I have to guess the yoke air bag probably does Deploy up and back. If that design were to meet a round wheel top, full inflation may be compromised.

Something all aftermarket wheel manufacturers (and vehicle owners) should take note of when selling these wheels for a yoke airbag replacement.

I was in Cleveland-Lynhurst today and test drove their demo MS that had been retrofitted with a round wheel. Gotta be honest, as much as I've supported the cool factor of the yoke, the round wheel was kind of a revelation. So instinctive, and therefore so little thought needed. Hustling the car fast was immediately familiar, and not what I've experienced with the refresh MS. Cruising, resting my arm on the window sill or armrest to drive felt much more natural. I also felt like I was sitting more in the car, less on top of it, which is just a perceived sensation. My belief is round is the way to go.

tempImageTZqxCj.jpg

Had the yoke for 10 months. I wished the airbag was a horn but of course it wasn't. I recall pushing on it and it sort of moved and wondered if someday a s/w update might make it a horn.

Now that I have the wheel and new airbag, is it my imagination the new airbag has more distinctive travel in/out when you push on the four sides of it? Hoping maybe its a precursor to s/w update for a horn? Your thoughts on yoke vs new wheel airbag in/out travel on sides and top/bottom appreciated.