Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's getting the normal steering wheel?

Getting normal steering wheel?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else with FSD Beta being told they can install until the next firmware update is released ?

Yes. There's a known issue -- and it's pretty big... as in, the buttons don't work. That's a problem.

Good thing is that new FSD firmware is rolling out to employees yesterday & today -- if it tests OK, hoping it goes wider release by this weekend.

Yes. There's a known issue -- and it's pretty big... as in, the buttons don't work. That's a problem.

Good thing is that new FSD firmware is rolling out to employees yesterday & today -- if it tests OK, hoping it goes wider release by this weekend.
Almost 0 chance for that sort of speed in release. It will sit with employees at minimum until the weekend and then YT testers will get it for a week, then will get a bug fix, then a slow and steady rollout for the next month.

Just a little update on my end. I am growing much more in favor of the wheel over the yoke. Last weekend was my first trip to the local 1/4th mile dragstrip with the wheel. Believe me, having a bigger wheel to hold onto when you are bumping that 150 mph zone is a lot to be great full for. I did get a 148 and a 149, but never quiet made the 150 on the timeslips.

UPDATE-
I got it installed today! Was excited for the wheel but also when I asked to keep the yoke, the tech said, “yeah you paid for it!” (Go figure) Knowing most everyone couldn’t keep the airbag, he left me the whole thing, airbag included!!! Happy to have for resale or swapping. All the buttons on the wheel work/light up as they should. Haven’t used FSD yet.

First impressions:

-Feels like a different car, in a good way. Holding on at 10 and 2 is awesome with the speed.
-Had to change wheel settings a little bit to comfortably grab the top of wheel, and yes the top speed limit indicator (not current speed) gets cut off from view without moving my seat as others have said.
-Turning is easier. I changed the steering setting from standard to sport because it was too easy.

I was excited for the yoke and after getting used to it, was just okay. With the wheel however, it really gives the car so much more control. Will update with more impressions after driving after some time.

Attachments

• 7D99C8B7-63ED-45F4-96AD-54D646995F99.jpeg
    7D99C8B7-63ED-45F4-96AD-54D646995F99.jpeg
    297.8 KB · Views: 436
  • CC64BCA1-5178-44F8-B7A7-211A4AB6B74E.jpeg
    CC64BCA1-5178-44F8-B7A7-211A4AB6B74E.jpeg
    396.3 KB · Views: 70
  • DC598442-2B33-4508-962F-60B21F445881.jpeg
    DC598442-2B33-4508-962F-60B21F445881.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 387DACEF-D6E3-4AC7-9A52-BEA27A728DC3.jpeg
    387DACEF-D6E3-4AC7-9A52-BEA27A728DC3.jpeg
    656.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 839D938F-55FC-4355-B26C-63CEB87D6F82.jpeg
    839D938F-55FC-4355-B26C-63CEB87D6F82.jpeg
    357.4 KB · Views: 69
  • DE59CD0B-6EC4-4894-BFDD-20CD93E6319A.jpeg
    DE59CD0B-6EC4-4894-BFDD-20CD93E6319A.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 3F8601D2-9113-4B81-AC4B-6F951C88DB9A.jpeg
    3F8601D2-9113-4B81-AC4B-6F951C88DB9A.jpeg
    313.6 KB · Views: 77
UPDATE-
I got it installed today! Was excited for the wheel but also when I asked to keep the yoke, the tech said, “yeah you paid for it!” (Go figure) Knowing most everyone couldn’t keep the airbag, he left me the whole thing, airbag included!!! Happy to have for resale or swapping. All the buttons on the wheel work/light up as they should. Haven’t used FSD yet.

First impressions:

-Feels like a different car, in a good way. Holding on at 10 and 2 is awesome with the speed.
-Had to change wheel settings a little bit to comfortably grab the top of wheel, and yes the top speed limit indicator (not current speed) gets cut off from view without moving my seat as others have said.
-Turning is easier. I changed the steering setting from standard to sport because it was too easy.

I was excited for the yoke and after getting used to it, was just okay. With the wheel however, it really gives the car so much more control. Will update with more impressions after driving after some time.
Looks like yoke glyph is still displayed on IP. You have the same FSD Beta version I have. Wonder why they want me to wait for the next update before install.

Reactions: Luka816
Really appreciate all the candid feedback on yoke vs. wheel. I recently ordered my MSP and my wife convinced me to go with the yoke (“it’s cool!”), so we’ll see. Figure that for a $115K car, not a huge deal to spend another $700 if I absolutely hate it. Keep those comments coming!

Reactions: Luka816
Really appreciate all the candid feedback on yoke vs. wheel. I recently ordered my MSP and my wife convinced me to go with the yoke (“it’s cool!”), so we’ll see. Figure that for a $115K car, not a huge deal to spend another $700 if I absolutely hate it. Keep those comments coming!
I love the yoke. I wouldn't go back, but I love that there's an option for those who want a regular wheel.

It was ridiculous to force the yoke on people.

I have noticed that some of the vendors on ebay that are selling the used yoke airbags have added a statement that they do NOT have the VIN of the donor car. That makes me think that the airbag, in some way, has a number that needs to match the VIN of the car that you are installing it onto. Or maybe there is another reason that I am not aware of. Any ideas???

I have noticed that some of the vendors on ebay that are selling the used yoke airbags have added a statement that they do NOT have the VIN of the donor car. That makes me think that the airbag, in some way, has a number that needs to match the VIN of the car that you are installing it onto. Or maybe there is another reason that I am not aware of. Any ideas???

More likely legal liabilities. Especially given what went on with the Takata recalls, matching airbags to VINs became very important.

I love the yoke. I wouldn't go back, but I love that there's an option for those who want a regular wheel.

It was ridiculous to force the yoke on people.

I agree about the non-option for the first couple of years. I just ordered the steering wheel, black interior plaid, waitin on my VIN. I drove the model s around with the yoke on test drives - I love the visibility, but the normal steering wheel just needs to be there for safety when others drive IMO. Cruising, great. Parking or maneuvering takes a bit of practice.

Finally got my wheel installed after weeks of headache with appointments! Went for a quick drive around the block and it felt much more natural. I did find myself going for the blinker stalk which was super weird. I've seen people mention that in this thread but thought they were crazy. I suppose driving for so long its just programmed into our brains.

Couple negatives though. The left side lights behind the blinker buttons do not work and the software was not changed to show a wheel instead of the yoke. So that's disappointing. Ill have to make another service request to have that taken care of.

Finally got my wheel installed after weeks of headache with appointments! Went for a quick drive around the block and it felt much more natural. I did find myself going for the blinker stalk which was super weird. I've seen people mention that in this thread but thought they were crazy. I suppose driving for so long its just programmed into our brains.

Couple negatives though. The left side lights behind the blinker buttons do not work and the software was not changed to show a wheel instead of the yoke. So that's disappointing. Ill have to make another service request to have that taken care of.

Maybe not. Try a reboot today and if no improvement another reboot tomorrow. Then a service appt.