Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are P85D's "cheap" now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a P85D on lease that I just extended for 6 months. I think the reason you're seeing them drop is because they're all AP1 cars, they're all pre-facelift and like it or not, the Model 3 is forcing down prices of the S.

The car in the original post is basically what I have and if I'm being entirely honest, I wouldn't pay that much for it. I'd much rather grab a brand new Model 3 for less money, AP2.5, a nicer interior, newer tech and more range... Much more range. The range in the P85D kind of sucks.

Don't get me wrong. I love the car. It's the best car I've owned by a long shot but there's more options these days than there were. You're going to quickly start to see Teslas depreciate just like every other car as electric cars become more ubiquitous.
As Elon has said: staying competitive with "continuous improvement"

If P85D's are getting cheap and people can grab them, why not? Just reading around on the forum here over the past months...
- People that have P85D's love them
- They go like a stabbed rat
- Seems they don't have question marks about the batteries like the 90's (unqualified i've no experience with a 90)
- Pre face lift brings the price down and some even prefer (or are indifferent to) the pre/post face lift
- As far as 'historic Tesla's' go they have a certain significance, a certain je ne sais quoi
- If you can get one CPO with 4 years warranty, happy days

Reactions: MC408 and GSP
Model S P85D 5YJSA1H41FF099411 | Tesla

Starting to see P85D's in the mid to upper 50's. That seems like a ton of car for the money vs a model 3 long range.

Is this just model S valuations returning to reality or is there something wrong with these cars vs a non-P car?

Aren't these cars mostly "Pre-AP1" meaning they have no AP hardware at all, not even AP1? That could be a big reason for the depreciation. Now that V9 has come out and the value of AP2 has increased so significantly, the value of cars with no AP hardware at all will decrease significantly.

Aren't these cars mostly "Pre-AP1" meaning they have no AP hardware at all, not even AP1? That could be a big reason for the depreciation. Now that V9 has come out and the value of AP2 has increased so significantly, the value of cars with no AP hardware at all will decrease significantly.

All P85Ds have AP1 hardware. AP1 was introduced at the same time as the dual motor.

So this is really just a sneak peak at what the AP2 depreciation curve will look like once AP3 is released.

People also fail to take into consideration the $7,500 to $10,000 or more Tax Credits and state rebates that apply to new EVs. That significantly reduces the net depreciation that should be factored in.

For me, this represented more than a 10% reduction in cap costs. Think we compare well to people that purchased Mercedes E-S class or BMW 5-7 Series.

Add in significant savings on fuel plus free Supercharging and the deal keeps getting better and better.

Last edited:
Reactions: sorka
People also fail to take into consideration the $7,500 to $10,000 or more Tax Credits and state rebates that apply to new EVs. That significantly reduces the net depreciation that should be factored in.

For me, this represented more than a 10% reduction in cap costs. Think we compare well to people that purchased Mercedes S class or BMW 7 Series.

Add in significant savings on fuel plus free Supercharging and the deal keeps getting better and better.

Agreed. Already ahead by $10k for most California owners

SF bay area cars & trucks "P85D" - craigslist in the Bay Area.

Most are in the high 60s to mid 80s. If you're lucky enough to find one in the mid 50s, then it's probably thrashed. Even on ebay, the lowest sold ones are mid to high 60s.

After ALL of the rebates I've gotten I'm into it for $112K nearly maxed out. Pretty sure I could get low 70s for it given it's mint and I live in about the highest resale price market. No scratches, swirls or anything.

Can't think of any other car on the planet that would hold up like that.

So you haven't actually seen it in person yet?
Nope. Willing to shift my deposit to a different model if there's damage that wasn't documented in person. Risky business? Yes. But minor cosmetic problems don't bug me in general. Of course major body damage is a different story.

Tried asking for more pictures (close up of the touchscreen for scratches, headliner in the car) but Tesla rep says they can't get anymore than what's already in the system. Don't know if I believe him

It's not crazy because the OPs assertion that you can pick up nice P85Ds for $55K is not true.
It really is. I got mine for $56k with a pretty big scratch in the quarter and door. Maybe you would say that doesn't qualify because of the body damage. I only picked this over the rest because it had Ludicrous as well. I strongly considered a 2014 that wasn't highly optioned for $52k. It was in amazing condition and came with Tesla's CPO warranty, it was probably one of the nicest cars I saw in my search. Since I was set on Ludicrous I passed on a lot of vehicles not only in the mid 50s range but in the low 50s. Many of them in great condition.