Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are P85D's "cheap" now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We will see how that pans out. Tesla (Elon) says a lot of things. AP 3 may turn out to be a full new set of cameras/sensors, of which only the CPU portion is offered to current FSD owners. If they add a rear radar, for example, I doubt my current FSD car will be getting that unless there is already wiring for it today. AP 2.0 is already getting left out of software features now, albeit minor things like the dash cam.

As I said before Elon tweeted, they are at a scale that they can not piss off owners.

Tesla can't stand up to 100,000 weaponized lemmings against progress.

upload_2018-10-16_8-53-23.png

You’re entire post started with “Nope” quoting what I said. So then what that I said do you disagree with? All I stated was that CA is unique or at least in the minority in that it charges out of state buyers sales tax. I don’t really care to debate this any more. I didn’t purchase from CA for this reason. You and anyone else are obviously free to do as you please.

Nope :rolleyes:

My entire post was:

1) CA is not the only state that charges sales tax
2) CA has the same agreements with every state that every other state has.

It just turns out that CA has higher sales tax than most states, so you get screwed if you buy there and bring it to your state. Not disputing that and it wasn't part of the argument.

Where where you during *691:p

part of me wonders if P cars would hold their value better if they were more differentiated from normal cars (flared fenders, front splitter etc). Although it's not like AMGs hold their value very well either.

The fundamental problem for most is the same as the one I went through. Grab a P85D or a new Model 3 performance. I ultimately went with the used one because I'm not a big fan of the look of the Model 3 and the extra space in the S will be better for 3 kids. However AP 2.5, more range, ideally better production was tempting. Now if only I wasn't flying to Chicago tomorrow to pick her up. Wish they still delivered

The fundamental problem for most is the same as the one I went through. Grab a P85D or a new Model 3 performance. I ultimately went with the used one because I'm not a big fan of the look of the Model 3 and the extra space in the S will be better for 3 kids. However AP 2.5, more range, ideally better production was tempting. Now if only I wasn't flying to Chicago tomorrow to pick her up. Wish they still delivered
Will make for a fun drive home, assuming you don't refuse delivery. Good luck!

part of me wonders if P cars would hold their value better if they were more differentiated from normal cars (flared fenders, front splitter etc). Although it's not like AMGs hold their value very well either.

The used market is different from new, but the P cars appeal is to the sports car types who want the best performance. If there was some external difference that made the car look more sporty it might help resale, but as it is on the used market the P85D is not as popular.

One thing someone could do if they get a P85D is improve the range by picking up a rear drive unit from a wrecked non-performance dual motor car and swap the drive units. You might need someone like wk057 to change a setting in the system to make it realize it's now only an 85D. but the modified car should have the range of an 85D.

I believe wk057 turned an original 60 into a P85 with a battery pack pulled from a wreck and a tweak to the firmware.

Yup. Even the 60 has the same drive unit as the P85 but not the same battery. There has been some speculation that Tesla binned the DUs and put the ones that tested out better into the P85s but any S85 can be turned into a P85 with just software alone.

Reactions: Galve2000
It's not crazy because the OPs assertion that you can pick up nice P85Ds for $55K is not true.

For what it’s worth. I just picked up my p85d+ with 53k miles for $54,800.

(I know, sucks I only got 2 year warranty), there were a few minor rock chips in the hood, but no body damage.

Consistent with the flip side of this coin, I originally put my deposit on one for $56,800 and it had a dent in the quarter panel.

It really is a crapshoot and fortunately I got lucky. (After closely examining and combing thru 8-10 vehicles in pictures before finding the right one).

Wishing you luck! Fortunately you had some pictures disclosing the “damage” or flaws so I doubt you will have any surprises. I went in hoping for the Best But preparing for the worst and ready to walk away. The flight makes that tougher for you, but as long as you temper your expectations, you will be happy. Especially once you start driving it!!!

The used market is different from new, but the P cars appeal is to the sports car types who want the best performance. If there was some external difference that made the car look more sporty it might help resale, but as it is on the used market the P85D is not as popular.

One thing someone could do if they get a P85D is improve the range by picking up a rear drive unit from a wrecked non-performance dual motor car and swap the drive units. You might need someone like wk057 to change a setting in the system to make it realize it's now only an 85D. but the modified car should have the range of an 85D.
Or, one could imply drive the P85D like they would an 85D and achieve very close, if not the same range. I drive an S P85DL and my wife drives S75D. They are rated for almost the same range, however when we travel together in a "convoy style", we tend to get about the same Wh/mile, so P85D can actually go farther on full charge than 75D. On the highway I think the rear motor is sleeping most of the time anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: davidc18
Uh oh, I bought my CPO P85D 4 months ago, and let's just say I may have overpaid :).. Regardless I lOVE IT!

All that matters is that you love it!!

Pricing and condition is all subjective as everyone has different standards for what they are willing to pay for different condition vehicles. Like the OP, i did not expect perfection, but major damage was my concern. I saw a few in the $55-$60 range all with some level of damage or flaws.

The only way to really get a deal is if you are able and patient enough to watch one drop from $65-$70 down below $60.

Looking at history. Mine started at $68, and kept dropping. I guess the missing features (21”wheels, red calipers, dual charger) and color combo (black w Grey interior) was not attractive to most.

On the other hand. The one I originally placed a deposit on. Showed history of starting at $59 dropped, some put a deposit, came back at $57, I put a deposit, came back at 57, dropped to $55 and is still there!

The more I am researching, I think they price accordingly to condition and drop at standard (or random intervals).

This is just theory, but maybe it helps those hunting for a CPO (I mean used Tesla).