Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are P85D's "cheap" now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All that matters is that you love it!!

Pricing and condition is all subjective as everyone has different standards for what they are willing to pay for different condition vehicles. Like the OP, i did not expect perfection, but major damage was my concern. I saw a few in the $55-$60 range all with some level of damage or flaws.

The only way to really get a deal is if you are able and patient enough to watch one drop from $65-$70 down below $60.

Looking at history. Mine started at $68, and kept dropping. I guess the missing features (21”wheels, red calipers, dual charger) and color combo (black w Grey interior) was not attractive to most.

On the other hand. The one I originally placed a deposit on. Showed history of starting at $59 dropped, some put a deposit, came back at $57, I put a deposit, came back at 57, dropped to $55 and is still there!

The more I am researching, I think they price accordingly to condition and drop at standard (or random intervals).

This is just theory, but maybe it helps those hunting for a CPO (I mean used Tesla).

The starting points seem pretty random. My car started at $82k and sold for $56k. I don’t know if the initial pricing is automated, but I was told by Tesla the price adjustments are all an algorithm that take sale history and trends into account. The pictures and damage inspection are done by a third party company. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the computer doing these adjustments doesn’t even have the damage information. This whole process seems pretty broken. I kind of think the broken process (and M3) is what is leading to the sudden price drops, and for a bit of a headache I will take it for a $10k+ savings.

The starting points seem pretty random. My car started at $82k and sold for $56k. I don’t know if the initial pricing is automated, but I was told by Tesla the price adjustments are all an algorithm that take sale history and trends into account. The pictures and damage inspection are done by a third party company. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the computer doing these adjustments doesn’t even have the damage information. This whole process seems pretty broken. I kind of think the broken process (and M3) is what is leading to the sudden price drops, and for a bit of a headache I will take it for a $10k+ savings.

Good point and your probably right. I was basing my statement off research on 2 vehicles and trying to make sense of how their pricing system works.

1 thing I did notice which makes things more difficult. The 3rd party that is taking pictures is not consistent from 1 location to the next. The pics in OPs original post has detailed shots of damage areas and others I received are nothing but pictures from 10 feet away! Hopefully they can build in some consistency with the way tuey do things.

I just picked up a 2014 p85+ for $43k with 89k mileage in pristine condition with nearly all available options. It was being sold third party by a Porsche dealer. Still had 18 months left on its bumper to bumper and 4 years on its battery/drive train warranty. Been looking at getting one for years and used prices are finally making it reasonable.

Congrats and enjoy! I’m new to the club as well and love everything about my p85d. So much fun to drive, and now have the option to not drive if I don’t want to!

Model S P85D 5YJSA1H41FF099411 | Tesla

Starting to see P85D's in the mid to upper 50's. That seems like a ton of car for the money vs a model 3 long range.

Is this just model S valuations returning to reality or is there something wrong with these cars vs a non-P car?

I took delivery of my new P90D in September 2015. Heavily optioned with a sticker price of $120,500. I leased it and had a buy-out residual of $70,000. I would normally have driven it for the full 3 years and turned it in this past September but when I approached my mileage max in March, I decided to dump it as I was having so many problems. I did look into purchasing it however and contacted a long time friend who deals in high end cars. My thought was that I'd buy it for $70k, he'd sell it for more and we'd split the difference.

He has access to different wholesale sites which he fired up, asked me about my car, options, mileage, etc., etc., etc. and told me "I could buy your car all day long for $50 - $55,000." Oh well, no wheeling and dealing to be done. Instead, I wrote a $9,000 check to get out of the lease and handed Tesla the keys, as I couldn't stand the car any longer. So, that said, I'm not surprised at the numbers that you are seeing. I think that one of the factors that could be influencing the price is that many of the cars may no longer be covered by a factory warranty, and these are not cars that you want to own without warranty coverage.

I took delivery of my new P90D in September 2015. Heavily optioned with a sticker price of $120,500. I leased it and had a buy-out residual of $70,000. I would normally have driven it for the full 3 years and turned it in this past September but when I approached my mileage max in March, I decided to dump it as I was having so many problems. I did look into purchasing it however and contacted a long time friend who deals in high end cars. My thought was that I'd buy it for $70k, he'd sell it for more and we'd split the difference.

He has access to different wholesale sites which he fired up, asked me about my car, options, mileage, etc., etc., etc. and told me "I could buy your car all day long for $50 - $55,000." Oh well, no wheeling and dealing to be done. Instead, I wrote a $9,000 check to get out of the lease and handed Tesla the keys, as I couldn't stand the car any longer. So, that said, I'm not surprised at the numbers that you are seeing. I think that one of the factors that could be influencing the price is that many of the cars may no longer be covered by a factory warranty, and these are not cars that you want to own without warranty coverage.

The problem with Tesla is quality varies a lot not that they're all bad. My 90D has been fine, but I got it in the middle of a quarter. I think the end of quarter cars have more problems because everyone is so rushed. Buying used you don't know what you're getting most of the time.

Hey all,
I snagged one of these lower priced p85d's.. 4 year CPO and only had 7,400 miles on it for 58k. Seemed way to good to be true. I guess I am a very lucky guy cause the car is in absolutely amazing condition. Still had that new Tesla smell!! Seats are in perfect condition. Interior is like new and the exterior isn't far off. Every option except 3rd row even dual chargers. Had a few paint chips and a some light door dings getting them fixed this week. It was way better than my first CPO under the old refurbish program..

Hey all,
I snagged one of these lower priced p85d's.. 4 year CPO and only had 7,400 miles on it for 58k. Seemed way to good to be true. I guess I am a very lucky guy cause the car is in absolutely amazing condition. Still had that new Tesla smell!! Seats are in perfect condition. Interior is like new and the exterior isn't far off. Every option except 3rd row even dual chargers. Had a few paint chips and a some light door dings getting them fixed this week. It was way better than my first CPO under the old refurbish program..

Was it dark metallic blue and located in florida? I saw it when it was $59k and asked my CPO advisor for pictures. He said it looked clean from the pictures but it was in Florida.

For $58k with 7,400 miles! It’s a steal, wondering if it was a loaner or how come so few miles.

Anyways congrats and enjoy!

Reactions: tskguy
I just picked up a 2014 p85+ for $43k with 89k mileage in pristine condition with nearly all available options. It was being sold third party by a Porsche dealer. Still had 18 months left on its bumper to bumper and 4 years on its battery/drive train warranty. Been looking at getting one for years and used prices are finally making it reasonable.

How could it have had 18 months left of the bumper to bumper when it's the end of 2018. The car is at least 4 years old already.

Was it dark metallic blue and located in florida? I saw it when it was $59k and asked my CPO advisor for pictures. He said it looked clean from the pictures but it was in Florida.

For $58k with 7,400 miles! It’s a steal, wondering if it was a loaner or how come so few miles.

Anyways congrats and enjoy!

Yes it was that car!! I could not be happier. Its a blast to drive.

Reactions: tv_aaron

Attachments

• 77C11F15-F600-4ACA-BA56-E533142DEBF4.png
    77C11F15-F600-4ACA-BA56-E533142DEBF4.png
    325.4 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: tskguy
How could it have had 18 months left of the bumper to bumper when it's the end of 2018. The car is at least 4 years old already.

At 42,500 miles the car wAs purchased as a certified used vehicle and received another 50,000 mile 4 year warranty that is transferable to the new owner. I picked up the remainder of that warranty which was 18 months and the remainder of the mileage up to 92,500.

From tonight's Q3 Investor letter: "Model S and X Performance mix declined roughly 4-fold since 2015"

I don't recall at what point P90D arrived, but this speaks to the dramatically higher production of P85D and what over-supply does to price.