Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are there 4 cold weather icons on the main screen???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems as if the new UI is a Great Leap Backward.
It is, and many of late have been.

UI/firmware "improvements" stopped about a year ago. Just about everything they've done has made the car worse. V9 tops the list. it's just awful. It's non-intuitive, removed several features and flexibility we had, and unsafe in that it requires extra key presses, looking down, to get to some things. The map, though now featured and larger, is harder to see details because they removed all color from it. Water used to be blue, roads were green, and now it's all gray with poor contrast. The color removal started towards the end of V8 updates.

I've heard some people say they want to make it like the Model 3. Well, I didn't buy a Model 3 and my car has a vertical screen. Something about square peg and round hole here...

No... Not sure where you got that from... You press the fan icon, then press the heated accessories icon then you an toggle on/off whatever you want (seats, steering wheel, wipers). None of that requires you to turn the A/C on or off to do...

Jeff

In v9, if my climate system is off and I want to turn on/off the steering wheel heater, I have to hit the fan to bring up the climate control, which invariable turns it on if it is off. So, as far as I can tell, there is currently no way to turn off the steering wheel heater without powering up the climate system (meaning I have to turn it off every time).

I must admit I am worried and dismayed by the comments about the new UI. When I was planning my purchase, I was heartened by a remark of one owner I talked to, who stated that his Model S was the only car that he had ever owned that improved with age (as new software updates came out). It seems as if the new UI is a Great Leap Backward. I don't understand how they can reconcile the interface with the Model 3 in any case, given the difference between size and orientation (portrait-oriented display in the S/X, landscape-oriented display in the 3). The point about accommodating aging eyes is important, too. I already find that gray text over a black background during night driving is nearly useless. I'm concerned enough that I am seriously considering not accepting further updates (to the extent that I am able to do so) until these issues are addressed: these issues relate in crucially important ways to usability/safety, and I hope that the Tesla folk who monitor this site take these observations to heart.
I like the new interface.

So, as far as I can tell, there is currently no way to turn off the steering wheel heater without powering up the climate system (meaning I have to turn it off every time).
If you quickly tap the fan icon, it should bring up the next (annoying) level of menus, climate and seat/steering heaters, without changing the on/off status of the climate control. You may be pressing the icon for too long.

Being a California resident, yes, cold weather apps pinned to the main screen have always frosted me.

Ideally, the display would adapt to the environment, presenting the controls needed for the current situation. If it’s 32 outside, then sure display the seat heaters. If it’s 85 outside, then bury the defroster and show me a blue snowflake icon and a fan speed button.

If the fwd looking camera sees someone armed with a leaf blower stirring up a cloud of dust, then a cabin air recirculation button should pop up.

Next point release - Thanks Elon!

Reactions: Chaserr and brkaus
Being a California resident, yes, cold weather apps pinned to the main screen have always frosted me.

Ideally, the display would adapt to the environment, presenting the controls needed for the current situation. If it’s 32 outside, then sure display the seat heaters. If it’s 85 outside, then bury the defroster and show me a blue snowflake icon and a fan speed button.

If the fwd looking camera sees someone armed with a leaf blower stirring up a cloud of dust, then a cabin air recirculation button should pop up.

Next point release - Thanks Elon!

That is a damn good idea! Hard for me to be sympathetic for those complaining about all the easy access climate buttons who get in their car, open their window, and drive a large portion of the year without ever needing any of "less than desirable climate" buttons.

Well, the UI is a global standard, and to make Telsa's desirable outside of the 30-40 degree latitude areas of the planet the first most commonly used process, well before putting the car in drive or choosing media, is comfort in the cabin. i.e.: cold weather buttons easily accessible. The other temperature extreme adjusts for itself; cabin overheat protection.

Remember Californians, in 2015 Norway had 6 times the number of superchargers per capita than the US, and they have purchased thousands of Teslas. And China has 16% of all Teslas sold on the planet in 2017. Those 2 countries have played a huge part in Tesla's success. Not having the cold weather buttons easily accessible in the V9 update would make them pissed off, but we wouldn't know this on TMC because they get pissed off in another language.

But some automatic temperature suggestions would be "cool". The ability to customize the climate control to the users liking even better. Like my furnace which has a programmable summer and a winter setting; twice a year I change it and I rarely ever have to touch it again.

But I like how you say 32 like that is actually cold. :rolleyes:

No... Not sure where you got that from... You press the fan icon, then press the heated accessories icon then you an toggle on/off whatever you want (seats, steering wheel, wipers). None of that requires you to turn the A/C on or off to do...

Jeff

When I hit the fan icon the a/c fan comes on, if I'm doing it wrong, I'm willing to learn.

Would be nice if you could tie the driver's heated seat with the heated steering wheel so they are both on, unless the seat heat is at the lowest level...

Does anyone know if something like Tasker could automate Tesla functions such as turning on the heated steering wheel?

Fine. But shaggy above said it was “one click” before. Not true.

Not to quibble, but on the old screen layout, once you selected the Cold Weather tab on the Controls/Settings screen, the same tab would open the next time. So once you turned on the steering wheel heater (Controls/Settings-Cold Weather-Steering Wheel), you could turn it off by clicking Controls/Settings-Steering Wheel Off, so long as you had not clicked on a different Controls/Settings tab in the meantime. For that matter, you could leave the Controls/Setting screen open, and then it would be just one click to turn off the wheel heater. I liked that repeatability. And the steering wheel heater control was higher on the screen, easier to see, and probably larger (as I recall). I find the new screen more crowded and harder to use for operations like clicking on (or off) the steering wheel heater, or the rear window defroster -- I have to look more closely, and the icons seem harder to hit. Maybe it is just me, or the roads around here making the car move too much....but precise finger clicks can be challenging (and distracting) in a moving car.

1F3125CE-7103-4D70-B2F8-4830378201F3.jpeg
This is how I’d like the cold weather buttons added. When I first saw this topic, I got excited thinking that maybe my fantasy came true and the the four included the steering wheel and wipers in some new firmware version. I guess the OP would count 6 in my picture.