Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Are You Not Cancelling Your Reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll start:

1. I'm a member of the Musk Cult. I'll give him all my money even if none of the promises he makes come to pass.
2. I really believe that the AP2 HW will be capable of FSD, and if it doesn't I will not ask for my money back.
3. I'll spend over $60,000. for the high range option so I can tell everyone I have more range than my Bolt.
4. I can use the Supercharger network even though I drive on average 25 mi/day.

My reasons are completely different:

I am an automobile enthusiast. I absolutely love the looks of the M3 - inside, outside, bottom and top.
My brother owns a MS and cannot say enough good things about the S. Good recommendation.
I am NOT disappointed in much of anything. I could care less about break-neck acceleration top speed or AWD.
I want dependable, electric driving with over 300 mile range (conservative driving).
I am interested in fit & finish and comfort.
I appreciate the supercharger network.
My feeling about EM have absolutely nothing to do with my decision.

All that said .... I feel my $1000 is secure. My delivery date is still 15 months away, and I am good with that. By then there will be many with driving experience; repair records, insurance cost stabilized; manufacturing glitches resolved; and I suppose an expansion of the supercharger network.

Because you cannot get a competitive car for either the 35k base model or the 56k loaded one. Nothing even close on the market.
I agree with this 100% Nowhere else can I get a 220 mile BEV with the same standard feature set. The only vehicle that one might try to compare is the Bolt, but it doesn't have SuperCharger access, doesn't have automatic emergency braking at the base model level, doesn't have the OPTION at ANY TIME to upgrade to Advanced AutoPilot or Fully Self Driving via a software unlock, and isn't stylish. Even discounting styling, those options are worth $10k in residual value.
On the $44k long range side, nowhere else can I get a 310 mile BEV, except another Tesla, but at a substantially higher price with the Model S.

So, yeah, keeping my reservation. You wouldn't find me in a Bolt, supporting a car company that wants to delay CAFE mpg increases and producing gas guzzlers, not to mention it's styling. My Leaf is hideous enough, I don't need two ugly cars.

I believe In Tesla's mission and stood on line before the doors opened on the east coast on 3/31. But I haven't bought a new car in 10 years (prefer cheap used cars) and am not sure I can justify the cost. I would say I was disappointed by some of what we just learned. (No AWD until late next year, pricing on options)

That said, no way I'm cancelling now! I won't make a final decision until I can drive the car, get a few missing details and decide if I can really afford it.

I'll start:

1. I'm a member of the Musk Cult. I'll give him all my money even if none of the promises he makes come to pass.
2. I really believe that the AP2 HW will be capable of FSD, and if it doesn't I will not ask for my money back.
3. I'll spend over $60,000. for the high range option so I can tell everyone I have more range than my Bolt.
4. I can use the Supercharger network even though I drive on average 25 mi/day.

1. I know everything Musk says is subject to interpretation, retraction, and folly.
2. AP2 HW has more eyes and sensors than I do and I can drive a car perfectly fine. It's a software problem, simple enough.
3. I'll spend $49,000 on the high range option because it's amazing that they got it to 310 miles, not to rub it in for butthurt Bolt and early Model S owners.
4. The Supercharger network is the key to sustainable transportation. Discounting it as a factor is ridiculous.

Here in Canada there is reason to cancel. There would be no Tesla 3 until end of the next year. We can wait and see. Knowing it, I'll go to test drive readily available Bolt and Audi A4. I know its not electric, but for 40K US it gives you all available options, including great instrument cluster + HUD I dreamed to have in Tesla.

Here in Canada there is reason to cancel. There would be no Tesla 3 until end of the next year. We can wait and see. Knowing it, I'll go to test drive readily available Bolt and Audi A4. I know its not electric, but for 40K US it gives you all available options, including great instrument cluster + HUD I dreamed to have in Tesla.

Having recently had a free brand new audi loaner, I can firmly say the "great instrument cluster" is no where near as good as tesla's infotainment. It feels ancient and clunky. But the HUD is nice.

The one reason I haven't cancelled after last night was that the Bolt doesn't have a developed quick charging network. I live in an area where winter is 5 months of the year, and $49,000 to get above 200 cold weather miles plus heated seats is a big disappointment compared to what I thought I was going to see last night, 240 base and heated seats either standard or a 1k ish option.

The one reason I haven't cancelled after last night was that the Bolt doesn't have a developed quick charging network. I live in an area where winter is 5 months of the year, and $49,000 to get above 200 cold weather miles plus heated seats is a big disappointment compared to what I thought I was going to see last night, 240 base and heated seats either standard or a 1k ish option.
I do sympathize with cold weather concern. I will say that, with my model S in chicago, I experienced significant drop during local driving, but little drop for distance. Unless you have commute >150 miles, I would not worry about base battery. Just charge every night at home and supercharge on road trips. Heated seats you would want.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
I read the various packages with interest just as everyone else has. I had pretty-much thought I would be interested in the base vehicle, except with longer milage. But $9,000 for the extended milage is a large 'hit.' I was hoping for something like $5k. My number does not come up for 15 months. I can live with 215 miles if they build more superchargers in the next 15 months. (I make a 425 mile trip 1/mo, but the first existing supercharger is 250 miles away).
My only disappointment is paint choices. Black is the only no-cost color?...... and in the hot desert west ..... no way would I consider black. I was guessing white (non-metallic) would also be no cost. It's not a deal breaker, but I am disappointed.

*I like the car
*Pricing and options are similar to what i expected
*I've already waited since last April
*Barring a production disaster I should get some form of the rebate
*I need a new car badly
*I'd like to do my small part in reducing carbon emissions
*It's the best available ev by far
*That it's American made is a bonus
*That it's a big middle finger to the "big 3" and Germany is a bonus
*That it's a middle finger to oil/gas companies, their subsidiaries and dependents, lobbyists is a bonus
*That it's a middle finger to the climate deniers is a huge bonus