Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are you waiting for the Model 3 instead of getting a CPO Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen a few posts on TMC about how some used older production year model Model S are selling for $45k or maybe even less. I'm from Canada, so resale values of EVs, especially Tesla's, are not as cheap. There's only 25 Tesla's for sale in my province and the lowest two are $45 and 48k USD and they don't come with dual motors, usually the saving grace since the drive train unit milling and issues are usually relegated to the non-dual motor models.

What are the reasons you are holding off and waiting for a Model 3?

Mine:
  1. Model 3 might still come out cheaper with my configuration and then there's our $10-11k USD provincial EV incentive
  2. I need something smaller to park in the garage. Our 11 Accord fits just right in the bigger of the two spots.
  3. smaller cars usually are nimbler and more tossable
  4. newer battery cells in Model 3
  5. older Model S had more kinks to iron (growing pains)
  6. financing / leasing may not be an option because of high interest rates
  7. lack of extended warranty besides CPO
  8. may not have the features I like (but for now, I only want Dual Motors, Winter Package, dynamic cruise control but may add a few extras that could prove helpful/interesting)
  9. bought (financing) a RAV4 Hybrid in 2016 and we have other ICE cars so it's really too soon to get an EV with 200+ miles since I don't really dig the Chevy Bolt styling but it's practical and there's been complaints about the cheapness and narrowness of front seats

One advantage for cross country drivers though would be buying a Model S that comes with free SCN access
The front fascia of the MS looks better to me though I don't think that's enough reason to get a used one, haha.

Last edited:
I am really close to getting an S but I am just not a fan of big cars. That's my major hurdle. We have an F150 on one side of the garage and the S would completely fill the other making getting in and out a real issue.

I live in an area that is not large car friendly so the S will take up most parking spots here from stripe to stripe. People in this area also tend to not treat cars well and sling doors and other behaviors that still surprise me.

With all that I'm still strongly considering it because I want the comfort and style. Im also not sure the 3 will be as nice inside.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
I think this is the weakest point. The Model 3 will be a 1.0 release and is much more likely to be buggy than a recent Model S.

I don't think recent Model S'es (2014 onward with factory warranty) are being sold at a significant discounts yet. Most get discounted significantly when they are out of warranty since that's when huge repair bills could arise.

Good point. My position is 72k something (when it was still revealed on My Tesla) and I'm on the East Coast of Canada. I'm not in a rush to pick one up; I would first like to see what people's experiences are especially with regard to reliability and issues and options/packages they take up.

I think our government incentives here is safe until mid-2018, when a provincial election is due. :)

We don't drive big cars daily. We use small cars. We already have big ones and they sit parked most the time. Wifey vetoed the MS, and I could not really disagree. The P100D would be a hoot, but we have both run 9 second ETs in cars, and have roadraced. The P100D performance would technically be a step down from what we are used to.

For us, the Model 3 is going to have to compete on exterior size, interior size, and handling with other EV offerings in Late 2017. Price is not top on the list of qualifiers.

• Informative
For the cost of a speculative LOADED all option model 3 with every upgrade of 80k or close
you can buy a model S P85D with ludicrous for the same price.
You will lose AP2 option

keyword: speculative.

but now that Elon is alluding to the Model 3 not having all the "bells and whistles", maybe the speculative price should come down from $80K and maybe be closer to $70K...?