Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why can’t I just plug in and have it automatically charge?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have been having this problem for over a year now. We have set the scheduled charge to start at 11:00 pm well into the cheap electricity time and with plenty of time to completely charge the car. What we have observed is that some of the software updates appear to reset this to scheduled departure and unless we pay attention the car will start charging immediately when plugged in. We have also observed this problem when there is a display outage on the vehicle. To explain occasionally when we get in the car the main display will not work, sometimes a soft reset fixes this and sometimes it does not. Usually the next time we use the car the display works fine but the charging will be reset to scheduled departure. We now try to look at the display when we arrive home and make sure it says "Charging Scheduled" but we sometimes forget and several times it has cost us over $100 in peak charges. We have contacted Tesla and they say we should just pay more attention to our charging settings or upgrade to MCU2 (we have a 2013 model S) which we would consider if they could assure us the issue would stop but they do not seem to be able to make that assurance. This is the most disappointing thing we have with our Tesla which otherwise we love.

We have been having this problem for over a year now. We have set the scheduled charge to start at 11:00 pm well into the cheap electricity time and with plenty of time to completely charge the car. What we have observed is that some of the software updates appear to reset this to scheduled departure and unless we pay attention the car will start charging immediately when plugged in. We have also observed this problem when there is a display outage on the vehicle. To explain occasionally when we get in the car the main display will not work, sometimes a soft reset fixes this and sometimes it does not. Usually the next time we use the car the display works fine but the charging will be reset to scheduled departure. We now try to look at the display when we arrive home and make sure it says "Charging Scheduled" but we sometimes forget and several times it has cost us over $100 in peak charges. We have contacted Tesla and they say we should just pay more attention to our charging settings or upgrade to MCU2 (we have a 2013 model S) which we would consider if they could assure us the issue would stop but they do not seem to be able to make that assurance. This is the most disappointing thing we have with our Tesla which otherwise we love.
I used to use that method (scheduled charge). But I have come to find out scheduled departure actually is much better. Pick a target time that works for you. I picked 07:30 (we're never driving around earlier than that). You can then load in the actual tariff used by your electric utility, in my case AES Indiana EV1 rate. It picks up the calendar changes, such as shifting to three different rates in the summer with different hours, only two rates in non-summer. It even picks up the changing rates between summer and winter. In the summer, our off-peak rate is 2.1¢/kwh, in the winter it is 2.7¢/kwh.

In any event, the car will not start charging automatically except during off-peak hours. You can manually start charging at any time if you need to, for example I needed to top off before a trip last Saturday, departing late afternoon. So I opted to manually charge at the mid-peak rate level for the last 5% or so, at 5.9¢/kwh.

I have noticed no interference from software updates and scheduled departure, although I almost always manually apply the updates.

If your MCU is failing or getting black screens so it isn't processing anything, you're just buying time. No API or schedule is going to make it work properly. Many of the people that had the MCU2 upgrade are pretty happy with it. There are, of course, a few exceptions where it didn't fix anything. I was so frustrated with the black screens and minute startup time I bit the bullet and did the upgrade. Very happy I did.

I used to use that method (scheduled charge). But I have come to find out scheduled departure actually is much better. Pick a target time that works for you. I picked 07:30 (we're never driving around earlier than that). You can then load in the actual tariff used by your electric utility, in my case AES Indiana EV1 rate. It picks up the calendar changes, such as shifting to three different rates in the summer with different hours, only two rates in non-summer. It even picks up the changing rates between summer and winter. In the summer, our off-peak rate is 2.1¢/kwh, in the winter it is 2.7¢/kwh.

In any event, the car will not start charging automatically except during off-peak hours. You can manually start charging at any time if you need to, for example I needed to top off before a trip last Saturday, departing late afternoon. So I opted to manually charge at the mid-peak rate level for the last 5% or so, at 5.9¢/kwh.

I have noticed no interference from software updates and scheduled departure, although I almost always manually apply the updates.
I tried this mode when it first came out ( I don't remember what release it was) and could not get it to work correctly. I always started charging immediately when I got home even though that was a peak time (4 pm to 8 pm). Interestingly when I look at the Charge stats it knows the times it charged in this mode were peak periods and it did it anyway. It appears to think the car needs a long time for conditioning so it starts charging immediately. Perhaps there is something I am doing wrong. WIth my APS plan here in AZ I pay 2.8 cents per KWH off peak and 54 cents per KWH on peak plus a charge for the demand peak during on peak hours. So when my car starts charging during peak hours I not only get charged the peak rate but also get hit with a demand charge.

If your MCU is failing or getting black screens so it isn't processing anything, you're just buying time. No API or schedule is going to make it work properly. Many of the people that had the MCU2 upgrade are pretty happy with it. There are, of course, a few exceptions where it didn't fix anything. I was so frustrated with the black screens and minute startup time I bit the bullet and did the upgrade. Very happy I did.
Unfortunately I have never been convinced the MCU2 upgrade would fix my problems. Normally the display comes on immediately when I enter the car so no minute delay. About 10% of the time it will not come on at all but will respond to a soft reset (pressing both wheels) and about 10% of the time nothing will cause it to come on but when I get in the next time it is fine. I really thought the flash memory upgrade a couple of years ago would fix the problem but it seems to have had no impact. The problem does not seem to be getting any worse (more frequent) which I would expect with a dying MCU. So spending $2500 for an upgrade that may not fix the problem doesn't seem worth it. If the technician at Tesla would tell me spending $2500 for an MCU2 upgrade was guaranteed to fix my problem I would schedule it tomorrow.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
So it’s 9:30, off peak, car barely made it home, caused huge anxiety, stress and argument and I plug it in and car just doesn’t even know to START CHARGING?!!!!
Can they not just for the love of God, update it to charge WHENEVER you plug it in provided it isn’t peak. What is so bloody hard about that?! Why all these options to depart by and this and that but not a logical one like just charge unless it’s peak.
This is a very upsetting problem that leaves us with a drained car too many times. My electricity bills are around $22,000 a year with solar. And I just want to charge at non peak. Maybe grab a couple rocket engineers from space x for a few days and have them program that: Charge when plugged in if not peak. That’s it!!!
Today sucked. Huge fight over car drained even though plugged in. Wtf!!!! Come on Tesla.

If you have a Tesla wall connector you can now set hard start and stop times for charging after you add it to the Tesla app. Once you do that you can turn off any scheduled charging settings in the car and it should do what you want.

Personally I’ve never had an issue with using the scheduled departure and off peak charge settings. Always charged and ready by the morning unless I forget to plug it in.

Unless you don’t plug in everyday or use up the whole battery in a day, there should be more than enough time to charge within off peak hours back to your desired level with either the scheduled charge or off peak charge settings.

Reactions: Adidadi
If you have a Tesla wall connector you can now set hard start and stop times for charging after you add it to the Tesla app. Once you do that you can turn off any scheduled charging settings in the car and it should do what you want.

Personally I’ve never had an issue with using the scheduled departure and off peak charge settings. Always charged and ready by the morning unless I forget to plug it in.

Unless you don’t plug in everyday or use up the whole battery in a day, there should be more than enough time to charge within off peak hours back to your desired level with either the scheduled charge or off peak charge settings.
Thank you for posting this. I have the Tesla wall charger. I’ll try searching but where did you find instructions for this please? Would love to get it set up right. Thank you again.

I managed to add the wall charger and set it up exactly as you said in settings. But no luck when I plug car in. Won’t automatically charge. Need to open app, which is frankly absurd.
I turned off vehicles scheduled charge. That didn’t work.
Any tips on getting this to just charge like a basic phone when plugged in as long as it is off peak? I must be missing something somewhere. How can this be soooooo complicated ?! Tesla?!!

IMG_3482.png

I just turned off “off peak charge” and it started charging. So all types off scheduling have to be turned off in car and on app including “off peak charge” to make sure it won’t charge at off peak ;-) Hope the wall charger settings stick.
Thanks for your help.

Leave the settings like that and try again tomorrow. It probably hasn’t started the first “cycle” yet since you have it set to allow charging at 9:30pm and it’s only the morning still. So tonight at 9:30pm it should start and rollover to the next day at 4:30 pm.

What did it say on the car screen when you plugged it in?