Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why choose Model 3 over Model Y if you can have more trunk space?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I retired from my previous employment as a hitman the need for oversized trunk space has ended. I always hated it when there wasn’t enough space and it required, ahem, drastic measures to get the victims to fit within the confines of the trunk.

That's actually part of the DMV inspection process here in NJ. Trunk measurements matter.

When I got the Model 3, the only SUV option was Model X but it was over budget and probably too big. But Model Y came out later and I thought it would have been nice to have more trunk space because I go snowboard sometimes. And also I play at the arcade and win more tickets than the average customer, so sometimes I may not have enough trunk space for all the plush and toys I may clean out. My arcade friends we do day trips or vacations just to hit up arcades and win everything we can, and we need space for all the plush and monopolies. And they usually ask me to drive because the Model 3 is more economical to drive when driving to arcades 1-2 hours away, and in exchange my friend will offer to win me tickets on my card so I can win double tickets in the same time frame.

I did get to test drive a Model Y once at the Tesla store. While it's bigger and about same price as a Model 3, I felt the Model 3 (which I own) is a better driving car if space is not an issue. It was kind of high, which I didn't like, I like the Model 3 height to be low to the ground. Is getting a Model Y make sense just to have more space, will you forgo anything not going with Model 3? Will a Model 3 be a more fun car to drive?

I don't like the way the Y drives or looks...isn't it on a M3 frame? That might be why...

Model Y owner here.
Single and retired a year ago then ordered my model Y for $64,440 in mid December, 2021. That included the red paint and trailer hitch. Picked it up a week ago and have 600 miles on it. I plan on traveling with an emphasis on out doors. Plans include light camping with an E-bike on the back. Model Y fits the plan. Comfort of bumps and another inch of ground clearance makes me feel a bit better. Model 3 would be out of its' element.
Model X was out of budget and a no on the gull wing doors.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Totally understand the looks department since it is subjective.
However, MYP is way faster than M3 LR. :cool:
Not the m3 LR with boost. 😉
I have both22’ LRboost and MYP.

I can tell you the M3 punches in your gut quicker and keeps toe to toe with the MYP and has stellar handling. I’ve raced with my buddy driving the MYP from a standstill and from 50-150kph. They are quite literally neck and neck, but the Y is a more refined acceleration while the 3 just feels like a sucker punch every time the pedal is mashed.

The Y is a better cruiser for access, hauling and longer drives (family stuff) but the 3 is sheer joy to drive at all speeds. Being lighter, the response time and torque pull kicks in faster.

MYP... slow... maybe ditch the Koolaid for a bit. It's slower than a M3P, for a small SUV/Hot Hatch thingy (whatever it is), there is nobody calling the Y performance slow
It’s slow enough I can feel it. And feels like a boat. Sorry - that’s the truth. I don’t know what “Koolaid” you’re talking about. It may be fast for a SUV…but I don’t want SUVs exactly because they are too big and come with those features.

Even the M3 is a bit too big for my tastes, would prefer a 2 seater coupe. But I admit the 4 door is useful sometimes.

Edit: my son has a Y. It’s a fantastic car. For him. But the original question was why I personally didn’t choose a Y

• Funny
Reactions: LHC22
It’s slow enough I can feel it. And feels like a boat. Sorry - that’s the truth. I don’t know what “Koolaid” you’re talking about. It may be fast for a SUV…but I don’t want SUVs exactly because they are too big and come with those features.

Even the M3 is a bit too big for my tastes, would prefer a 2 seater coupe. But I admit the 4 door is useful sometimes.

Edit: my son has a Y. It’s a fantastic car. For him. But the original question was why I personally didn’t choose a Y

I'm confused on what sports cars you think are "faster" than a MYP? How about... a Ferrari F40? Heck, an F50? Both slower.

Late model Porsche 911 Carrera GTS? Slower

Big Crazy SRT Hellcat? Slower

Other than a few exotics and a handful of other competing electric cars, there's precious few things that are faster than a MYP.

Reactions: LHC22 and voxel
I'm confused on what sports cars you think are "faster" than a MYP? How about... a Ferrari F40? Heck, an F50? Both slower.

Other than a few exotics and a handful of other competing electric cars, there's precious few things that are faster than a MYP.
It’s slower than the M3 or MS - which I own or drive. Sheesh - you’re being a bit sensitive about this. I don’t like the MY. It’s my choice, my preference. I am not saying the MY is bad. Just that it’s not my cup of tea. Again, my son has an MY and loves it and I’m super happy for him. My wife has an M3 but is considering a Y or X - and that’s fine.

The MY is not for me. It does not feel good to drive for me. That’s all. I can’t understand why this is a problem for you.

It’s slower than the M3 or MS - which I own or drive. Sheesh - you’re being a bit sensitive about this. I don’t like the MY. It’s my choice, my preference. I am not saying the MY is bad. Just that it’s not my cup of tea. Again, my son has an MY and loves it and I’m super happy for him. My wife has an M3 but is considering a Y or X - and that’s fine.

The MY is not for me. It does not feel good to drive for me. That’s all. I can’t understand why this is a problem for you.

You were complaining that you needed a 2 door faster sports car. I tried to find one that's faster than a MYP for you - and presented the results.

If you think the MYP is a "boat" what on earth are you doing driving a MS?

Never have had an cuv only cars or sports cars. BUT I’d buy a Y if given another chance. Got my 3 in 2019 so no option. But car camping was super fun in the 3 and can be way better in the y for obvious reasons. Plus having a big 95lb dog a y would be way better for me now. But I’m sticking to the 3 it’s almost paid for. And no car payments for the win. But we would buy a y if ever we get another car.

The 3 has some ugly angles and beautiful angles as well. Over time I thought y awkward look is less of an issue with darker colors and it’s like the model 3, certain angles make the y beautiful.

It's not a slow/fast problem. It's a handling problem. The Y is fast enough in a straight line but it's really just a CUV kludged onto a car platform, it's way too bulky for what it sits on, and it does not handle well at all.

We get that you don't like the Y. There are TONS of reason's to not like it, I have several myself. You said It's slow....that's just flat out wrong, and not an opinion. Just say the design is freaking awful (we all know) and move on with life.

You said It's slow....that's just flat out wrong, and not an opinion. Just say the design is freaking awful (we all know) and move on with life.
Slow is a relative term, the poster indicated it's slow compared to the M3 and the S (both of which he drives). While the MY is faster than many other cars, from that poster's day-to-day exeprience it seems like a fair point and is not objectively 'wrong'. From his perspective why spend more for the MY when you can get a 'faster' M3?

Slow is a relative term, the poster indicated it's slow compared to the M3 and the S (both of which he drives). While the MY is faster than many other cars, from that poster's day-to-day exeprience it seems like a fair point and is not objectively 'wrong'. From his perspective why spend more for the MY when you can get a 'faster' M3?
I guess it's the difference between saying it's "slower", than saying it's "slow". Saying "slow" implies in general it is slow compared to most cars (not necessarily to 3 and S).

Ok I also got the model 3 in 2019. I finally sat in a model y and I must say if I could do it over again I’d get the y. Why? Apart from the obvious, I don’t canyon carve much these day and I just need the car to be functional. More space easy entry for older people, car camping! Those are worthy of the sacrifice. So yah while model 3 may handle better how many times have I canyon carved and really pushed the car. I argue it’s rare for me these days and I’d rather get a functional car. Hell I’d get a rivian truck over the model 3 or y if I could do it over again and now way does that thing handle close to the model 3.

Reactions: DerbyCityY