Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why choose Model 3 over Model Y if you can have more trunk space?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I got the Model 3, the only SUV option was Model X but it was over budget and probably too big. But Model Y came out later and I thought it would have been nice to have more trunk space because I go snowboard sometimes. And also I play at the arcade and win more tickets than the average customer, so sometimes I may not have enough trunk space for all the plush and toys I may clean out. My arcade friends we do day trips or vacations just to hit up arcades and win everything we can, and we need space for all the plush and monopolies. And they usually ask me to drive because the Model 3 is more economical to drive when driving to arcades 1-2 hours away, and in exchange my friend will offer to win me tickets on my card so I can win double tickets in the same time frame.

I did get to test drive a Model Y once at the Tesla store. While it's bigger and about same price as a Model 3, I felt the Model 3 (which I own) is a better driving car if space is not an issue. It was kind of high, which I didn't like, I like the Model 3 height to be low to the ground. Is getting a Model Y make sense just to have more space, will you forgo anything not going with Model 3? Will a Model 3 be a more fun car to drive?

Well you're asking this in the Model 3 subforum so you may get biased responses... ;)

The Model 3 is fun and satisfying to drive. The Model Y isn't. Then again I've never encountered any crossover / CUV that I truly enjoyed driving. They are practical utility vehicles, good for upright spacious seating and hauling bulky things, but they are not sporty or fun (even though the Y is objectively quite fast).

My wife and I picked the Model 3 over the Model Y last fall because I liked driving the 3 much more. Nothing to do with the price difference. If I hadn't liked the 3 so much there were several other cars we would have chosen before the Y, most notably the Polestar 2 or a new Model S.

We were shopping for a second car though, to have alongside our early Model S which was our only car for many years. We would have preferred a liftgate on our second car too, but ultimately that wasn't essential because we were keeping our old S regardless of what new car we chose.

The Model 3 would not work for us as an only car or Model S replacement. Whereas the Model Y absolutely could fill that role. If you need the space, get the Y. If you don't, the 3 is really much nicer to drive, in my opinion. This is broadly true across all CUV/crossover vs sedan/hatch/wagon comparisons in my experience - e.g. Subaru Forester vs Impreza, BMW X3 vs 3-series, etc.

Last edited:
Have you actually driven the two? Model 3 is just overall a better car to actually drive. Smoother, quieter, better handling. I also find the new door panels make the 3 feel slightly more premium inside.

If you need storage and passenger space, the Y is the way to go I suppose... though I think I'd try to save up for an S or X at that point.

When I got the Model 3, the only SUV option was Model X but it was over budget and probably too big. But Model Y came out later and I thought it would have been nice to have more trunk space because I go snowboard sometimes. And also I play at the arcade and win more tickets than the average customer, so sometimes I may not have enough trunk space for all the plush and toys I may clean out. My arcade friends we do day trips or vacations just to hit up arcades and win everything we can, and we need space for all the plush and monopolies. And they usually ask me to drive because the Model 3 is more economical to drive when driving to arcades 1-2 hours away, and in exchange my friend will offer to win me tickets on my card so I can win double tickets in the same time frame.

I did get to test drive a Model Y once at the Tesla store. While it's bigger and about same price as a Model 3, I felt the Model 3 (which I own) is a better driving car if space is not an issue. It was kind of high, which I didn't like, I like the Model 3 height to be low to the ground. Is getting a Model Y make sense just to have more space, will you forgo anything not going with Model 3? Will a Model 3 be a more fun car to drive?
It is a good $12-15K more here in "Kuh-Nuh-Duh" 😀 Although the cargo hold is way, way bigger, as a mostly retired senior (read: empty nester), I'd rather spend the difference on a trip to Italy.

We looked hard at a Model Y and even had one ordered and ready to be picked up, but we kept going back and forth and just didn't feel comfortable shelling out $70k for a vehicle. The monthly payment was over the 4 figure mark and we just didn't like that. We would have had to sell my M3SR+ to help make it affordable and I really didn't want to do that. Since we already had the order placed from earlier this year on a M3LR we decided to keep the order and get that car, as it was at the end of the day $17k cheaper than the MY, and if we need to sell it we should be able to make a tidy profit on it, but the goal is to keep it long term and have the two M3s, especially with a new driver in our house in the next 2 years and we have our family crossover still.