Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did you cancel your Model 3 reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry dudes / dudettes --- I bailed on (cancelled) my reservation today.

Hopefully you are US West Coast and in front of me. When did you make the reservation?

After reading the July 2nd Tesla release on their 2016 Q2 deliveries, I am becoming increasingly skeptical that the company, as currently managed, can deliver.

Tesla has made fools of all those who bet against it over the last five years. We are at the stage of building out the T3 because of Tesla's success and sticking to its plan. Sportster proved design and financed the S, the S did the same for the X and now the S and X are financing the T3. The Tesla has gotten accolades from car industry and reviewers (Consumers Rates it the best car ever).

In addition Tesla has large industrial partners.

Only the shadiest of the Wall St TV hucksters would make claims that Tesla won't produce its 400,000 T3's over the next couple years.

Again, I'm praying that you are right. Please, please ping me around October 5th to rub this in. Thanks
I hope you're wrong, I really do. But it does feel like a bit of damage control this quarter. I get the feeling model X demand isn't what they were hoping, and that they may be relying on China for orders to make up for a dearth of orders in the US. To be honest, with the amount of people betting against their success, and the flurry of negative press, it's not altogether surprising that the demand plateaued a bit. Particularly after the surprise Solar City deal, and the fact that it definitely favors the SCTY stock, not the TSLA stock.

That said, I do hope we get to stick it to you later. For myself, I'm going to ride it out until the second reveal and the configuration email. At worst, I lose 6-12 months of interest on $1,000 investment, and I have the option to get the $7500 credit. At best, things turn around a bit (and that's likely, given the 24 hour news cycle) and we all wish we'd reserved 2. :)

Regardless, I do understand your skepticism. For myself, I'm still banking on the fact that at the end of the day, we really do need to move away from ICE vehicles. And at the end of the day, Elon Musk has proved most doubters as fools. Whether he can keep up that streak is questionable, but to borrow a line from Mr Mulder, "I want to believe."

They said that the backlog support the production ramp for the next Q.. so i would not think this is a "cover" for no orders.
Said that.. if we point the expectation just back 1 Q, they have followed every damn Q expectation.. so yes, they failed the expectation.. so what? it's always better than the last Q expectation, i would think this is a great sign.
They just tend to put a strong target and they try to track it.
If the my car is behind 1Q.. then so be it, but it will be 1Q back, not 2 years

I praise @jimmyjohn for what he has done and would encourage others in the same position to do the same. Apart from the obvious advantage of the rest of us moving a few places ahead, what this will do is make it easy for Tesla to deal with post-sales support of their cars.

As with any purchase, what tends to happen is that when we have reservations on something we buy, the chances are we will end up getting disappointed further down the line. In the case of a car that can usually manifest in the form of minor niggles and complaints initially on fit and finish and in the case of an EV, range or performance, battery overheating, etc etc. and all these will take Tesla resources to deal with and that in turn will have an impact on the rest of the eager customers who are waiting for their car and happy satisfied owners who deserve good customer support.

So yes, if in doubt, if you have reservations on Tesla progress, if you are unhappy with how things are going, or if you increasingly don't see the Model 3 as a good fit to your requirements, please consider cancelling - just my opinion.

I cancelled mine today, as I test drove an S the other day and don't want to wait 2 years for a Tesla.

Good thinking ... the Tesla Certified Pre Owned, CPO list shows a dozen cars available for $50K or less :cool: https://ev-cpo.com/

upload_2016-7-15_18-29-16.png

Reactions: nexsuperne101
Sorry dudes / dudettes --- I bailed on (cancelled) my reservation today.

After reading the July 2nd Tesla release on their 2016 Q2 deliveries, I am becoming increasingly skeptical that the company, as currently managed, can deliver.

2016 Q2 was an unmitigated disaster on deliveries, regardless of how Tesla paints the -- very played-out -- ramp-up angle.

My perception: each quarter brings about new promises and proclamations, and each quarter sees let downs and well-phrased "ramp-up" wording. It feels like a politician (Hillary or Donald, take your pick) or news outlet, making promises or proclamations, that never materialize --- but they hope that you'll be so myopic that you'll forget what the promises were. I don't forget.

I PRAY I'm wrong and hope you keep this post and ping me in the future to let me know how spineless I am.

Peace out.

1. I agree their "end of quarter ramping" is just an excuse for missing their own guidance.

2. That said, their production still has gone up every month for the last ~2 years or so(?).

3. When did you order? I think almost everyone on here ordered before Tesla's announcement to produce 500,000 vehicles in 2018. And it was fairly well known to people paying attention to Tesla that delivery/production issues have, well, been an issue.

I ordered expecting the FIRST delivery to delayed well into 2018 or maybe even 2019 if things went to hell, and to not receive my car until maybe 2020.

4. To each their own, though. Hopefully you cancelling somehow benefits me.

Good thinking ... the Tesla Certified Pre Owned, CPO list shows a dozen cars available for $50K or less :cool: https://ev-cpo.com/

View attachment 185531
Has anyone plotted "acquisition" price vs sale price - to show depreciation vs time? Now that the guarantee price is moot, it would be nice to see how much the MS does decline. I'm trying to factor in the unknown affect/effect of the M3 in the future value of a MS purchase today. But I just can't seem to get a clear enough head to plot a realistic decline curve. The question is - how much will a MS bought today be worth on Jan 1, 2018 when the M3 is in full production?

Has anyone plotted "acquisition" price vs sale price - to show depreciation vs time? Now that the guarantee price is moot, it would be nice to see how much the MS does decline. I'm trying to factor in the unknown affect/effect of the M3 in the future value of a MS purchase today. But I just can't seem to get a clear enough head to plot a realistic decline curve. The question is - how much will a MS bought today be worth on Jan 1, 2018 when the M3 is in full production?

I don't have the information available but if someone does this would be fantastic to see.

I browsed through the CPO listings and although tempting the ones available at a lower price point are without Autopilot it seems. It's not that I couldn't afford a new S but I just can't bring myself to spend that much $$ with the 3 around the corner.

Go for the 60D. $58,500 after credits...........but then you have to add options :( Now it's 70k , oh another option, now it's $75k etc.........That was my plan but I kept adding options :( And purchase is the full price w/o credits which is more of a bonus in the future