Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did you cancel your Model 3 reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I praise @jimmyjohn or if you increasingly don't see the Model 3 as a good fit to your requirements, please consider cancelling - just my opinion.
As ironic as it sounds, there isn't enough information to cancel a Model 3 reservation. It's less about being a good fit (too many unknowns at this point), and more about I don't know what I'd be giving up. It's $1K, let it ride.

Go for the 60D. $58,500 after credits...........but then you have to add options :( Now it's 70k , oh another option, now it's $75k etc.........That was my plan but I kept adding options :( And purchase is the full price w/o credits which is more of a bonus in the future
Aside from performance upgrades, it's pretty much guaranteed you could get every option available on the 3 and be less than the 60D.

I was just looking at a 2014 P85+ fully loaded with 21" wheels, pano roof, pearl white paint, nextgen leather, premium upgrade, air suspension and not even 10,000 miles on the clock for £63k. I am not keen on the classic shape, so I am now going to wait for the 60D that has literally just come out to become a CPO in 18 months time.
I know it is a waiting game, but I think that realistically, I can save something like £20k by waiting (depreciation), plus I will have a fistful of cash to chuck at it, so much smaller finance deal to make up the gap.
I will still have that MS at least a year, perhaps more, then when the M3 would have been delivered.

I was just looking at a 2014 P85+ fully loaded with 21" wheels, pano roof, pearl white paint, nextgen leather, premium upgrade, air suspension and not even 10,000 miles on the clock for £63k. I am not keen on the classic shape, so I am now going to wait for the 60D that has literally just come out to become a CPO in 18 months time.
I know it is a waiting game, but I think that realistically, I can save something like £20k by waiting (depreciation), plus I will have a fistful of cash to chuck at it, so much smaller finance deal to make up the gap.
I will still have that MS at least a year, perhaps more, then when the M3 would have been delivered.

Congratulations.

Does that mean if one orders a brand new MS 60D today, there is a delay of 18 months before they get their car? Or did I misread that?

@Jayc , yes you misread. I was going to buy brand new, but with the heavy depreciation in year one, it makes more sense to buy a CPO in about 18 months with very low mileage for way less than a new one will cost. I think that the depreciation will be even higher once the M3 comes out.
My current Nissan Leaf was a pre-owned. I bought it as the second owner, only 14 months old with just 2,972 miles on the clock for 40% of the original sale price.

I think there will be two major cancellation bumps. One will be when it actually comes time to configure the car and people now have to come up with a lot more than $1000 or figure out ways to finance their vehicle. The other will come when the tax credit starts to expire.

I'm rather hoping that the tax credits are extended, like the 30% tax credit for Solar PV was extended, and hoping Solar extends again as well.
IMHO, there is still that climate change issue and most of the Old Guard automobile manufacturers are still not building compelling EV's that people actually want. If the tax credit got extended until the end of a particular year, say 2025 {2025 picked from thin air} and not a manufacturer limit, the issue of when we get our Model 3 is a simple calendar issue, not how many Tesla vehicles have been delivered in the US by the end of a quarter.
Even more attractive, in addition to the change to a time limit versus quantity limit would be a rebate at the time of purchase that could lower the amount of our monthly payments.
Feel free to pass these along as suggestions to all of your elected representatives.

I'm rather hoping that the tax credits are extended, like the 30% tax credit for Solar PV was extended, and hoping Solar extends again as well.
IMHO, there is still that climate change issue and most of the Old Guard automobile manufacturers are still not building compelling EV's that people actually want. If the tax credit got extended until the end of a particular year, say 2025 {2025 picked from thin air} and not a manufacturer limit, the issue of when we get our Model 3 is a simple calendar issue, not how many Tesla vehicles have been delivered in the US by the end of a quarter.
Even more attractive, in addition to the change to a time limit versus quantity limit would be a rebate at the time of purchase that could lower the amount of our monthly payments.
Feel free to pass these along as suggestions to all of your elected representatives.

Part of me wonders whether the old guard of auto manufacturers would actively lobby against an extension. Tesla would be the clear beneficiary of an extension and other automakers have zero interest in seeing them succeed.

Winston Wolf said:
Part of me wonders whether the old guard of auto manufacturers would actively lobby against an extension. Tesla would be the clear beneficiary of an extension and other automakers have zero interest in seeing them succeed.

Disclaimer: Not trying to be political here, just my assessment. I don't see the government extending the tax credit if Trump is elected president. I don't really foresee Clinton doing it either, but definitely not with Trump. Their platform is big on jobs related to the coal industry so they have probably little interest in electric vehicles, at least from a political perspective.

That being said, my reservation is around 220K, not planning for a maxed out model, not a current owner, and I live in PA - so if they want to extend the credit I definitely wouldn't be against it. An extension is about my only chance at getting it at all.