Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did you cancel your Model 3 reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just canceled mine. Plain and simple too many service issues with the brand during the past year. Coupled with the decrease in supercharger rollout activity and excessive wait time. I am going to order a Bolt when it is available on the East Coast. Bolt is uglier but other than that seems on par with the 3 and it is much cheaper as I do not believe the 3 will be available for less than 45k before mid to late 2018
I hope you get a Bolt. Chevy isn't making that many of them.

I'll be cancelling and my reasons probably wont be well received but thought Id share anyways.

Quick a little background. I raced motorcycles for years and only stopped riding them on the street this past summer. I really enjoyed the experience of being out on the road leaned over deep in turn and noise of the motor as is would rise and fall thru the changing of the gears. The stress of other drivers and all the distractions inside there vehicles have taken there toll and I no longer enjoy the street so I've sold off my road bikes. Its not safe or responsible to ride the way I enjoy. I still get to the track on occasion but adulting has really cut into my time and budget.

I now want a car I can drive for the pleasure of driving without tech and electronics and distractions. More like the bike a more pure experience but without being as exposed and vulnerable as on the bike. It doesn't have to be fast but it must be light and fun in the turns and good for the occasional track day.

The Model 3 I put a deposit on in March before race season started and before I sold off my road bikes I don't think will fit my needs as well as something like a Miata or Audi TT or any number of other light roadsters. I put that deposit down thinking the 3 would be great for my daily slog flat slabbing to and fro. Smooth and quiet and easy comfort while I sip my coffee and listen to NPR. I could always jump on one of my bikes to get a quick fix when I need it.

I think what Tesla is doing is great and I think these are fantastic cars but they don't tick all the boxes for me yet. Again I'm sure some of you wont get it and some will poke holes in my logic but we all like what we like and right now I don't think this is what I like as it relates to my wants and needs. I believe the time will come when electric car can fill those wants and needs that are currently occupied by gas engines. When that time comes I'll be back, earlier if my wants and needs change.

I'll be cancelling and my reasons probably wont be well received but thought Id share anyways.

Quick a little background. I raced motorcycles for years and only stopped riding them on the street this past summer. I really enjoyed the experience of being out on the road leaned over deep in turn and noise of the motor as is would rise and fall thru the changing of the gears. The stress of other drivers and all the distractions inside there vehicles have taken there toll and I no longer enjoy the street so I've sold off my road bikes. Its not safe or responsible to ride the way I enjoy. I still get to the track on occasion but adulting has really cut into my time and budget.

I now want a car I can drive for the pleasure of driving without tech and electronics and distractions. More like the bike a more pure experience but without being as exposed and vulnerable as on the bike. It doesn't have to be fast but it must be light and fun in the turns and good for the occasional track day.

The Model 3 I put a deposit on in March before race season started and before I sold off my road bikes I don't think will fit my needs as well as something like a Miata or Audi TT or any number of other light roadsters. I put that deposit down thinking the 3 would be great for my daily slog flat slabbing to and fro. Smooth and quiet and easy comfort while I sip my coffee and listen to NPR. I could always jump on one of my bikes to get a quick fix when I need it.

I think what Tesla is doing is great and I think these are fantastic cars but they don't tick all the boxes for me yet. Again I'm sure some of you wont get it and some will poke holes in my logic but we all like what we like and right now I don't think this is what I like as it relates to my wants and needs. I believe the time will come when electric car can fill those wants and needs that are currently occupied by gas engines. When that time comes I'll be back, earlier if my wants and needs change.
Makes sense to me.....not that it has to.

Do you @Motoarch.

Reactions: Red Sage

Thanks for answering the original question. I can understand (and somewhat relate to) your thinking.

Sounds like you need a fun weekend sports car and nice EV commuter... that's what I do to keep my sanity :cool:

This is what you might do when you get your ICE bike ...

Just kidding, see you back in a few years :)

You might enjoy the sort of car I drive for fun: a vintage Triumph. 50 MPH feels like 80, and 80 feels like 100. Simple, easy to work on and keep running, cheap and available parts. Three fuses total. Well, no. There's a fourth as a spare and a fifth protecting my radio. But you get the idea. No computers. No power steering or brakes. Just you, the machine and the road, which you can reach over and just about touch if you roll the window down.
Turns in its own length, and made for curves.
Robin

Reactions: Scott-P

OK. But really? It sounds like you need a Honda CR-X or Caterham Seven in your life.

Reactions: JeffK
You might enjoy the sort of car I drive for fun: a vintage Triumph. 50 MPH feels like 80, and 80 feels like 100. Simple, easy to work on and keep running, cheap and available parts. Three fuses total. Well, no. There's a fourth as a spare and a fifth protecting my radio. But you get the idea. No computers. No power steering or brakes. Just you, the machine and the road, which you can reach over and just about touch if you roll the window down.
Turns in its own length, and made for curves.
Robin

OK. But really? It sounds like you need a Honda CR-X or Caterham Seven in your life.

you gentlemen have good taste

• Funny
Reactions: jsrawa and Red Sage
Why exactly is THIS thread the most popular on the Model 3 forum, by an order of magnitude or so? Who the hell cares why ppl have cancelled a reservation? There's little to discuss about Model 3 at this early stage - I realize that. So why not do something constructive and/or useful with your time. :D

Why exactly is THIS thread the most popular on the Model 3 forum, by an order of magnitude or so? Who the hell cares why ppl have cancelled a reservation? There's little to discuss about Model 3 at this early stage - I realize that. So why not do something constructive and/or useful with your time. :D
I think the reasons people cancel their reservation are interesting considering the Model 3 might be the greatest change to the automotive industry since the Model T.

As you may know the Model T is considered the first truly affordable car to the middle class produced at volume by assembly line. It got about 21 mpg with a 10 gallon tank for a range of 210 miles. It was introduced in 1908 but by 1912 it was selling for $525 which was less than the US average salary at the time. It became so popular that after a while Ford didn't even have to advertise.

Long range (over 200mi) EVs up until this point have never been truly produced at volume and the prices were usually quite high. The average US salary is above $50,000. Both the Chevy Bolt and the Tesla Model 3 are long range BEVs that are below the US average salary. The Chevy Bolt isn't going to be produced at high volume so that leaves only the Tesla Model 3. The Model 3 will be the first long range BEV produced at volume, at a price that's "affordable", using new manufacturing techniques, and Tesla doesn't even have to advertise. This has the ability to change hearts and minds with regards to battery powered EVs.

So back to your question as to why care when people cancel their reservation: There are many legitimate reasons to cancel, such as if one's financial situation won't allow the purchase or if someone gets impatient and purchases a Model S... only to be ticked off later when Tesla introduced features that will appear in the lower priced Model 3.

What interests me most are the people who cancel who have either lost faith in Tesla as a company or no longer wish to be a part of history in the making.

What interests me most are the people who cancel who have either lost faith in Tesla as a company or no longer wish to be a part of history in the making.
I could end up being one of those, we'll see.

I'm interested in an attractive, fun, AWD electric car with 200+ mile usable range, but not interested in a autonomous shareable people mover.

If I can get one without being dragged into the other, I'm in. So far, so good.

Last edited:
I could end up being one of those, we'll see.

I'm interested in an attractive, fun, AWD electric car with 200+ mile usable range, but not interested in a autonomous shareable people mover.

If I can get one with out being dragged into the other, I'm in. So far, so good.
Of course you can. The car will come with all the hardware so you can't do anything about that but there is nothing that says you have to enable autopilot or autonomous driving. They're options so you don't have to get them.

You mean something useful - Other than reading this thread?

• Funny

Have you test driven a Tesla before? Just curious because going back to my Genesis Coupe, even with it's 300+ HP, is a drag after being in my parent's Tesla. If you really want the joy of driving, the smooth, instant torque of an EV is the way to go.