Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why didn’t Tesla use indirect (ABS) TPMS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my VW GTI I didn’t have hardware TPMS in the wheels but rather a software TPMS that leverages the ABS system and wheel spin speed. It’s very effective and very sensitive to minute tire pressure changes. I wonder why Tesla didn’t leverage ABS TPMS system and instead uses the much more expensive hardware based TPMS?

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
The problem is that it only shows a relative difference, and it is complicated by wheels turning different speeds around corners etc. One of the problems is that if all the tires lose pressure it would still report everything as being fine when it isn't.

• Helpful
Reactions: SSedan
What year is your vw?

My 2004 mini used the abs sensors, I think that method was deemed too inexact and cast aside as an option in the mid 2000s.

2016. Had three different nails in the 3 years I owned it, and it informed me almost right away when the tire pressure was only 2-3psi off. I had such a good experience with it I thought other carmakers would find it useful.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
Does anyone know why the Tesla system doesn't seem to work unless you're driving? Or is that just a problem with mine? In my Chevy Spark EV I can use the in-car reading when I'm adding air to the tires in my garage. It's a bit slow - a minute or two for the increase to register, but at least it works. In the Model 3 I get no readings unless I start driving. If I'm just topping off in my garage I have to go back to using a tire gauge, because the car won't tell me any pressure at all when it's just sitting there (with a door open so it's on, of course).

Reactions: ℬête Noire
I would guess the sensors only transmit when turned on my movement.

Far as the ABS vs. actual pressure sensor, much of the country in the last couple weeks has had to adjust their tires due to winter arriving, as others have said the ABS system relies on difference between tires, when it turned cold my tires dropped evenly several pounds. Not enough to trigger a warning but enough to hurt range.

Does anyone know why the Tesla system doesn't seem to work unless you're driving? Or is that just a problem with mine? In my Chevy Spark EV I can use the in-car reading when I'm adding air to the tires in my garage. It's a bit slow - a minute or two for the increase to register, but at least it works. In the Model 3 I get no readings unless I start driving. If I'm just topping off in my garage I have to go back to using a tire gauge, because the car won't tell me any pressure at all when it's just sitting there (with a door open so it's on, of course).
TPMS sensors try to save battery power by only turning on when there is movement. Perhaps the version on your Spark also activate when you add air?

I have the indirect system in my 2002 BMW M5, and it's pretty bad. Sure, it works for drastic or sudden changes in pressure, but on several large clover-leaf on or off ramps, it triggers a low pressure warning only because the car was going around a large enough curve that it detected the differential wheel speeds as low pressure.

That's why I put on after-market FOBO TPMS on that car:

https://www.amazon.com/FOBO-FP1611-Tire-Plus-Black/dp/B00XI1DPLE

Works great, although there are now less expensive versions on the market.

Reactions: MP3Mike
If my 2013 Volt is turned on and the TPMS info is being displayed, it updates every minute or two. So if I use the TPMS when filling the tires, I pump and then wait for the update.
I just noticed this last weekend, too. I've not had a vehicle yet that acted the way the Model 3 has on the TPMS reporting. It wasn't just moving, I had to drive down the length of a perhaps 30 car long parking lot and back to get three of the 4 to report. To get the 4th to read I went to the end and back faster (sort of a dicy situation, parking lot was near empty expect the end I was parked in but it was a Police department parking lot :p).

I don't know what about the second trip got the 4th to report. If it was the higher speed, if it was just slower to come up and would have reported if I'd just stayed still, or it was time but I needed to be moving?

At first I was wondering if they are using some sort of more low powered TPMS that has per wheel antennas that requires the wheel to be in a particular position because it has a lower range? Or if the TPMS are being powered via some sort of induction or pressure from wheel spinning, rather than a tradition battery?

Maybe other cars are sending a "wake up" signal when their ignitions are turned on? That's not really applicable with the Model 3, so maybe it only does it when it's in D or R rather than P? Or at least won't unless it's in P with the "I'm ready to go because you pressed the brake" mode? Model S/X owners in the crowd, does the Model S & X behave this way, too?

So, new problem: my tire gauges don't match the readings in my cars, either the Tesla or the Chevy. I am perplexed. I thought I had a bad tire gauge that was reading too high, but I'm experiencing the same problem with both cars and both tire gauges. The car says one pressure, the gauges say another - several PSI higher. I've got two different gauges and they give the same readings. In the Tesla I'm looking at 41 as read by the car but about 44 as read by the gauges. In my Chevy Spark the car says 32 but the gauges say a hair under 35. What's going on? Is there some kind of adjustment or reset that needs to be done on the cars when the weather turns cold?

So, new problem: my tire gauges don't match the readings in my cars, either the Tesla or the Chevy. I am perplexed. I thought I had a bad tire gauge that was reading too high, but I'm experiencing the same problem with both cars and both tire gauges. The car says one pressure, the gauges say another - several PSI higher. I've got two different gauges and they give the same readings. In the Tesla I'm looking at 41 as read by the car but about 44 as read by the gauges. In my Chevy Spark the car says 32 but the gauges say a hair under 35. What's going on? Is there some kind of adjustment or reset that needs to be done on the cars when the weather turns cold?
Same issue here. I just kind of assumed the gauge on my compressor was off. The car read 42 when I got it, so I tried to just figure out what the delta was between the TPMS and the compressor gauge and then filled based on that.