Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do EV drivers park in EV spaces and not charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do people do this? I think they are just as bad as ICE drivers parking in EV spaces.

I see it happen a lot in Austin TX (just moved here) where the EV parking and etiquette aren’t as good as California.

I guess it will get better over time.

I think it happens more now because early Tesla owners bought because it’s an EV, and cared about EV etiquette, or at least were generally aware of it. Now many people buy Teslas for autopilot. For some of these owners it being an EV is a bug, not a feature. They don’t think about EV etiquette but rather they look at a convenient parking space as an entitlement, something they deserve for putting up with driving a car that needs to be charged.

I think some people view these charging spots (often located close to the stores like those designated for the disabled) as a perk for driving an EV, just like being able to drive in an HOV lane with no passengers in the EV. The sooner people (including EV owners) treat these spots the same way they treat gasoline pumps for ICE cars, the better.

To show off that you have an EV.

...with sufficient capacity for this leg of your journey.

000d00037932cbadedc3de65e9c9c682--steven-spielberg-movies-original-memes.jpg

....and you are feeling just a teensy bit smug. ;)

EV icing EVs happens, but I would say there is a worse problem with the ADA handicap spots.

I would venture a guess that around here >50% of people who use handicap spots are young and healthy. And they take up the Van Accessible spots first, which allow you to unload a wheelchair from the side. Costco probably has the worst offenders.

The ADA was good idea that was not implemented correctly. It required enforcement or it helps aholes pick on cripples. I don't say handicap in this case, because wheelchair spots are not for people with personality disorders, premature ejaculation, or folk require service dogs you carry in your purse. These are not immobility issues.

I want to go full Tonya Harding on those creeps, but I think it's illegal. I wonder if they enforce that law?

• Funny
Reactions: Olds442 and GSP
Because some people (yes, even EV drivers) are dicks.
Very true. Saw a MS parked in a Level-2 public spot in Santa Monica, CA without being plugged in last week despite big signage saying that the car must be plugged in to park there. Those chargers are very conveniently located. The week before a Ford Fusion Energi plugged in his 120V cord WITHOUT plugging it actually into the wall socket (he also could have used the Level-2 charger, which he was now essentially blocking for people who needed it).

Why do people do this? I think they are just as bad as ICE drivers parking in EV spaces.

I see it happen a lot in Austin TX (just moved here) where the EV parking and etiquette aren’t as good as California.

I guess it will get better over time.
Welcome! Your profile location still says California.

Sadly, I see this all the time here. I try to only charge at home, even though I purchased the $25 for 6mo unlimited charging at Austin Energy spots. Those smaller batter EVs may not be able to make it through the day.