Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do people really want Tesla to fail?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good strategy in the short term but the long term damage to the brand from the misinformation campaign is concerning. Enough people hearing that Tesla builds unreliable expensive cars at a loss, burning through government money, using rare earths, with toxic flammable batteries, powered by coal, etc., creates an even greater uphill battle than the company already faces.
I am not sure this matters a whole lot as Tesla is still production constrained. It is the only car company I am aware of that has a waiting list for it's cars and this is the case even though they have been growing a very capital intensive product 50% a year for the last 10 years.. So until production fully ramps we are OK as right now the demand is way out of context from supply. If orders were to magically double the scaling troubles would be worse. Then by the time this becomes a problem I hope there will be more than 500,000 shining examples that Tesla can build and deliver a quality car.

Reactions: RedOctober
True.. I am getting worried.

The forces arrayed against Tesla and EM are plenty, and have deep deep pockets
Well all this bad media Tesla has been receiving doesn’t seem to bother the young people who follow tech and EV’s. I have run into several lately and they laugh at the bad press. One group of 5 who I met at a SC had just purchased a second MS and 3 of them ordered Model 3’s. They were so pumped when talking about their cars. They were telling me how they give people test rides in their MS all the time. So there is hope and it may be with the young generation.

Reactions: dhrivnak and EinSV
Oh stop. I've held my shares for years. Impatient? Really? I can pretty much bet my house that I'm in the top 5% of shareholders ( quantity and duration ) in this forum. This gives me the right to speak my mind.
BTW.....did you cast your vote recently?

Tesla = Late? Tesla = miss after miss? Is that what you are saying?

I should sell my stock?...wrong way to look at it.....Tesla shouldn't have gone public and stayed private if they or you didn't want anyone's opinion to count. Like this nut case - Jing Zhao’s

High-roller investor with a whole 12 shares of TSLA wants Elon gone

Don’t invest more than you can afford to lose. That is true of both long and short investors.
While I understand what you are saying....most people like Elon went "all in" with everything they had. They gave up family ( resulting in divorce ), time, resources, and friends in exchange for what they deem as success. Hopefully Elon has reached a level of satisfaction for all of the sacrifices he made in his life.

Tesla wasn't free for Elon. He gave up just about everything ( except his kids ).

Reactions: RedOctober
Sure but early negative impressions can have long lasting effects.
Hyundai overcame it.

Perhaps what happened to Audi in the late 1980s is a better comparison? Following the whole "unintended acceleration" controversy, their sales rapidly dropped to as low as 12K/year in the U.S. by the early 1990s but they came back. Audi today has been enjoying record year after record year of sales here, even with the "dieselgate" scandal (which was more of a VW issue).

As far as the media and Tesla goes, Tesla in 2017 also gave credit to the media for helping to drive sales and allowing them to keep their marketing costs low. The media coverage on Tesla is far from all bad! Every company, celebrity, etc. has to take the bad with the good and move on.

Tesla and Elon need to have a thicker skin or else they came across as whiny and weak. They really need to rise above all of this. It's also no secret that the media itself has its own credibility problem anyway.

As far as more negativity, there seems to be more negatively (posts regarding problems or issues with Tesla buying, service, quality, delivery, etc. matters) on this forum these days. Also, Tesla hasn't really been tested with a "high volume" car until recently with the Model 3. As sales volumes increase (now over three different models), it is only natural to expect more potential issues to arise, more growing pains, etc.

If there is more negativity in the media, perhaps it's simply a reflection of more things to be negative about or have concerns about regarding Tesla lately for reasons above and others.

• Disagree
Reactions: JRP3 and mongo
Obviously as Tesla sells more cars there will be a greater number of problems and more people posting about them. That doesn't mean the company as a whole is having more problems or going downhill, in fact the company is in better shape today than ever before in it's history, yet the media creates the opposite impression. Elon and Co. do not need a thicker skin, they are rightfully speaking out about inaccurate reporting.

In the UK at least, I think many people see Tesla as a cult phenomena and they are generally turned off by the American car industry anyway (ironically due to its legacy ICE products).

But those with an open mind are intrigued by the vision and technology of Tesla and prepared to give it a go despite any negativity. Those who buy into a Tesla tend to stick with it, even though there are ownership challenges with such a relatively new company. But the product is great and that's what matters in the end. The oil giants can put up whatever BS propaganda they like, but the consumers make their own choices of car. It's now becoming clear even to mainstream auto makers that they have to get into the EV scene right now to survive in the long term. So they are now effectively providing Tesla with credibility that their vision was in fact correct.

The good news is that young people (buyers of the future) think Tesla is cool. The Model 3 is going to be a big seller in the UK, simply because everyone's hot wife wants one, lol! I know mine does and I don't blame her. It's a damn site more cool than a BMW 3-series which has barely changed in the last two decades. Even media reviews have been reluctantly positive so far. The only thing they can fault is the touchscreen and even that's pretty debatable in the smartphone age. My 8 year old daughter has no interest in buttons and probably never will. She found her way round Spotify on the Tesla in about 5 seconds. Our old fart of a neighbour would probably freeze his brain up, so he drives his old fashioned Merc with big knobs and buttons everywhere - but he represents the past, not the future.

Obviously as Tesla sells more cars there will be a greater number of problems and more people posting about them. That doesn't mean the company as a whole is having more problems or going downhill, in fact the company is in better shape today than ever before in it's history, yet the media creates the opposite impression. Elon and Co. do not need a thicker skin, they are rightfully speaking out about inaccurate reporting.

While you can't go by what you see on a forum... the fact that there are owners anywhere who are waiting for months to get a new windshield is a bit of a scary problem.