Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do people really want Tesla to fail?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
um, which of those areas did Tesla improve? Please for the love of god say solar roof tiles.
All of them, including solar roof tiles.
They literally buy the same batteries as everyone else, only they are married to the obsolete 18650 li-ion batteries that the majors arent married to.

More typical ignorance. They don't "buy the same batteries as everyone else", they are partnered with Panasonic, who builds cells to their specifications, which no one else can buy, and using a chemistry which no one else uses, with higher energy density. Tesla then takes those cells and builds batteries out of them, higher energy density batteries than any other company. Even Munro in his tear down stated they are the best batteries he's ever seen. Also showing your ignorance, they are not "married" to 18650, which are in no way "obsolete", since it's just a form factor, they also build the 2170 format for use in the Model 3 and stationary storage products. You know who else is using the 2170 form factor for their hypercar EV? Rimac. Look them up if you aren't familiar with their products.

People think life is easy.
Its not.

People see someone doing something different and think they can do it do and even better.
They can not.

Investors thinks they have it all figured out with their ever more short sighted "vision".
They do not.

Those that can, do. Those that can not invest and take pot shots at those that can.

Sure, investors will be right from time to time but I prefer to value those that do (and sometimes fail) over those that sit on the side lines and take pot shots at those doing the doing.

I find it interesting that @ShortSeller and @Reality both troll the same three or four threads almost exclusively. They both joined in April. They both have the same short thesis. I'm just wondering if they might be the same person trying to look like two people. Has anyone caught one of them accidentally answering for the other one?
I find it interesting that RavagesofTims posted the same accusation on 4 different threads.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Why do people really want Tesla to fail?

I think some are turned off by overzealous Tesla fanatics who seem to think Tesla and/or Elon Musk does everything perfectly and can do no wrong. Issue's people have are not necessarily with the "message" (electric cars and tech), it's with the "messengers" (fanatics).

Reactions: kablammyman
I think that's mostly just an excuse to reinforce their preexisting biases against Tesla. Very few Tesla supporters really think Tesla and Elon are perfect and can do no wrong, most of us discuss the errors on a daily basis. Just because a few "fans" of something are over the top doesn't normally induce others to hope the company fails unless they already feel that way.

If it's "very few" then it's an extremely vocal very few ruining it for others. Over the years I have witnessed far too many overzealous Tesla fanatics or fanboys or whatever you want to call them, especially on more general automotive news or business sites. It doesn't seem as bad as it used to be (perhaps sites are doing a better job at monitoring some of the more aggressive posts and/or some folks are simply becoming more realistic about Tesla) but it was and is a real turn off and unfortunately has made some want to see Tesla fail just to silence the fanatics.

Personally, I think it's too early for anyone to take a strong stance one way or another. Tesla and BEVs are still a very small part of the broader automotive marketplace with lots of room for new and existing companies to enter and compete in that space. Even with notable growth and a lot of attention, only about 0.6% of new vehicles sold in the U.S. last year were BEVs and less than half of those were Teslas. I'm confident that BEVs (and EVs in general) will have a strong future, and time will tell what Tesla's future in that BEV world will be.

Last edited:
Reactions: kablammyman
If it's "very few" then it's an extremely vocal very few ruining it for others. Over the years I have witnessed far too many overzealous Tesla fanatics or fanboys or whatever you want to call them, especially on more general automotive news or business sites.

It could be because of the irrational negative bias many in the press seem to have against Tesla in particular and EV's in general, especially general automotive news and business sites. I've been fighting against anti EV and anti Tesla bias and misinformation for over 10 years now. I always try to use verifiable facts to make rational points but Tesla fans can get tired of it after a while and lash out against the endless BS.

People that "get" Tesla tend to be enthusiastic and evangelize (pardon the reference) on behalf of the company if only to combat the absolute stupidity that comes from many on forums and in general. I can not count the number of ignorant comments I get like "ya, but the battery will fry you" or "you'll get to work but you'll be walking home". Try to explain what Tesla has done to design a safe (r) battery or that the car actually makes rated range on a regular basis and their eyes gloss over. It's easier to Trump something with pot shots then to take a moment to understand. I no longer try; most people are simply not worth my time.

As for Tesla being perfect, I guess I'm not one of the company's supporters you are objecting to as I have a long laundry list of issues with Tesla. Some of which I've aired on this forum.

For me, its a company that is actually trying to do something meaningful from a development standpoint instead of just trying to hobble along to the next quarterly earnings call. I am a fan of that.

Fine with me if the media keeps pushing the “tesla is going to fail” mantra. I’ll just keep buying stock on the dips.
Good strategy in the short term but the long term damage to the brand from the misinformation campaign is concerning. Enough people hearing that Tesla builds unreliable expensive cars at a loss, burning through government money, using rare earths, with toxic flammable batteries, powered by coal, etc., creates an even greater uphill battle than the company already faces.

Reactions: bhzmark
Good strategy in the short term but the long term damage to the brand from the misinformation campaign is concerning. Enough people hearing that Tesla builds unreliable expensive cars at a loss, burning through government money, using rare earths, with toxic flammable batteries, powered by coal, etc., creates an even greater uphill battle than the company already faces.

And those misguided fools are buying them so fast that the company can't keep up. PG&E had to put in a new coal plant to keep all the ones around here charged. Thank goodness for government money! Tesla will sell enough tunnels made by their Boring Machine to keep them afloat for another two months.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler

More people distrust the media today than ever before. I don’t think Tesla will be hurt in the long term since more cars are visible, more YouTube videos are available and people loving their cars. If anything, the media is only hurting themselves in the long run.

Reactions: RedOctober
I’m really hoping they can fix the “bottleneck” with this Model 3 shutdown. Getting tired of answering messages from friends and the doom and gloom that come with them. They questioned me when I purchased my model S and for some bizarre reason want to prove to me they were right that Tesla would not survive. Then I placed an order for a model 3, well how dare I double down. Every damn negative article requires an explanation. Never seen a company where so many want it to fail, it’s as if they get a prize for being right. Even people who come on here everyday day rip into Elon or Tesla. Maybe it’s like one friend said to me, they are small people who are envious. Maybe I should do a poll and find out.

The answer is here;
Is Tesla In Crisis? | OilPrice.com
Next look at their sphere of influence;
Oil Price Market Intelligence

• Disagree
Reactions: EinSV