Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do so many people put an S in front of 70D, 85 and 85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the addition of D kind of mitigates the problem so you can say 85D I guess but for none D models it becomes an issue of vagueness. When you tell someone you have an 85 as mentioned above, to someone who is not familiar with Tesla may not understand which 85 you mean.

Given all the P85D owners constantly posting in the 85D threads it seems that it really doesn't help.

It's already bad enough that I see "BSD" when someone puts "85D". It's even worse when someone puts "85D 4.3 sec 0-60 time"; I have a bit of a flashback that nears aneurysm to "BSD 4.3".

I didn't even think about this until your post, but now I'm "mentally contaminated" by it. Hrm, for extra fun perhaps we can get BSD to run on the 85D? Maybe NetBSD...it runs on pretty much everything else out there doesn't it? :)

Why do so many people put an S in front of 60, 70D, 85 and 85D? Isn't it kind of pointless? Why say S70D? There is no P70D. So isn't 70D distinguishable enough? 60 isn't distinguishable enough, 85 etc...? I kind of understand for newbies to the Tesla world but for folks who've been around awhile to say it kind of makes me scratch my head.

Because soon there may be a X60, X70D, X85, or X85D and I don't want to go back and edit all my posts or have others quote them out of context.

Here is my "S 85"

s_zpsr0bhn6ey.jpg

When I see it typed as S85, I think of it as Model S 85. By that measure, the P85 should be stated as the SP85. Perhaps it would be better if a space was used. S 85 and S P85. Perhaps not everyone thinks this way, but I know some people do -- the people that mention that the X is coming. If the X had a battery of the same size, you have to specify the model to remove ambiguity.

As for the Model 3, I recommend we unofficially call it the Model E. So you could have an E85 or E 85 for example. Tesla can't officially call it that legally, but we can, and almost no one knows how to type three horizontal bars. Eventually, Tesla will need to talk about the Model E and actually say it's name. If this is a problem, I would recommend they officially name it the Epsilon, assuming that doesn't throw up legal problems too (in which case, maybe the Epselon, which is cute, because it has "elon" in it's name). EDIT-- In fact, I like that so much I'm going to recommend it to Tesla.

Last edited:
Narcissism

Not necessarily true...
I have a "standard" 85. It says Model S on the left side, and "S 85" on the right. That is somewhat different from someone having a "standard" 60 or 85, and putting a P or P+ on it. I am perfectly happy with my "standard" 85.
Coming from, and still being very involved in BMWs, it is not like someone with a "standard" 5 series putting an "M" badge in front of the 5, but not really having an M version.

I don't think there will be rear-wheel-drive Model X in two battery capacities... :wink:

I don't think there will be either. Notice I used "or" not "and".

- - - Updated - - -

When I see it typed as S85, I think of it as Model S 85. By that measure, the P85 should be stated as the SP85. Perhaps it would be better if a space was used. S 85 and S P85. Perhaps not everyone thinks this way, but I know some people do -- the people that mention that the X is coming. If the X had a battery of the same size, you have to specify the model to remove ambiguity.

As for the Model 3, I recommend we unofficially call it the Model E. So you could have an E85 or E 85 for example. Tesla can't officially call it that legally, but we can, and almost no one knows how to type three horizontal bars. Eventually, Tesla will need to talk about the Model E and actually say it's name. If this is a problem, I would recommend they officially name it the Epsilon, assuming that doesn't throw up legal problems too (in which case, maybe the Epselon, which is cute, because it has "elon" in it's name). EDIT-- In fact, I like that so much I'm going to recommend it to Tesla.

I sure hope they don't make an E85, that'd be very hard to google as you'd get lots of flex fuel 85% ethanol results. Even searches with "Tesla E85" would get lots of junk posts mixed in.