Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do so many Tesla owners back in to park?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coming from having driven big pickup trucks my entire life, back in parking has become second nature for me. Even in parking structures that have "head in parking only" signs - I back in (secretly relishing the day I get to argue the finer points of this parking method with parking enforcement). In the days before backup cameras, I would open the driver side door and stick my head out while backing. I won't even consider an EV with charging ports on the front, which would prohibit be from backing in (looking at you Rivian).

It seems to me that I see way more Teslas parked rear end first than other cars and not just at SCs. Is this because people are used to doing it at SCs and just do it all the time now? Because they are using auto-park? Or am I just imagining it?
Because Teslas doesn't have a 360 camera so to take full advantage of the cameras when parking, you have to reverse in. Driving up to the parking slot makes driving a Tesla more low tech than a non EV, with me sticking my head up the windshield to see if I am hitting anything like a noob lol.

Primarily there are NO rear-cross traffic alerts on this $70K car which is absolutely ridiculous.. and means someone flying down the parking might run right into the back of you. Atleast if you back in.. when you pull out you have a much better view of traffic. Also, the reserve cams with the side view added are pretty awesome.. so make backing in easier than most other vehicles. Finally, I have to back in to charge my car practically anywhere.. why not just back in all the time.

Actually Im from MD.. we back in everything anyways lol.

Reactions: ElectricIAC