Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do so many Tesla owners back in to park?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems to me that I see way more Teslas parked rear end first than other cars and not just at SCs. Is this because people are used to doing it at SCs and just do it all the time now? Because they are using auto-park? Or am I just imagining it?
Actually I'm seeing far more cars of ALL makes and models reversing into parking spots. I suspect this is a side-effect of the prevalence of read-view cameras making it much easier to back in then just using mirrors or looking over your shoulder.

Reactions: Fourdoor and DrGriz
I've not particularly noticed it with Teslas, but it is certainly a Boston thing. Can't tell you how often I've sat and waited on a parking ramp while someone gees and haws back and forth four times in their effort to put a six foot wide car into a 9 ft wide spot, when they presumably could just have driven straight in going forward.
I don't buy the "safer" thing at all (is there data?). To me it makes complete sense to pull in forward so you can see both all the obstacles and where the corners of your car are in the tight confines of the parking space, and then backing out into the giant empty space in the aisle behind you.
Of course there's plenty of evidence that many/most people have no clue of where their car is in space or relative to anything else. Watching the parallel parking follies out the office window was proof of that!
I've been to some cities, where in certain places, there are actually signs that say back-in parking only. Usually in the narrower places.

Reactions: Pianewman
It seems to me that I see way more Teslas parked rear end first than other cars and not just at SCs. Is this because people are used to doing it at SCs and just do it all the time now? Because they are using auto-park? Or am I just imagining it?
It is the best way to park your car! Upon arrival of the parking spot you have a good visual/spatual awareness before you reverse into your parking spot. If you do this the other way round, you have to reverse into traffic. I always park tail first and I'm the kind of snob that judges people for not parking their car properly. It truly shows who can and who can't park their car.

do a little search, tons of data showing why reverse parking is much safer. Here is just one that popped up. Why reverse parking is safer | Geotab
Ok, the article cite some data about the danger of running over someone backing up in a driveway at home (going either direction presumably, prior to widespread implementation of backup cameras, and an opinion about parking lots. I still haven’t seen anything that resembles “tons of data” about the subject at hand.

I legit just find it easier. I will agree with the other comment regarding back up cameras making it more common nationwide regardless of make. When I got my previous car (first one that had a backup cam), I noticed it was much easier to reverse in than pull forward. So I think it honestly has a lot to do with ease of spacial management and ensuring you know where any objects may be that you need to stop before hitting them.

Been parking for 30 plus years without a 360 camera and have never found i difficult or complicated?
Biggest advantage to a 360 camera system is drive thrus... The bank near my kids school, has a couple tight turns inside the drive thru, including the exit, which has a curb island you need to navigate around before turning sharply to exit.. With a proper 360 camera, you can see all 4 tires, so you can navigate the turn without clipping the curb.

The front chin spoilers on my other two cars are both lower than most parking curbs, so the 360 camera helps with that... It's not that it's "difficult" to do without a 360 camera, it's just that with the 360 camera, I can basically kiss the curb, so I don't stick out in the back too much, becuase without a 360 camera, I tend to err on the side of caution, and end up sticking out a bit.

Another advantage of 360 cameras, is if the spot is just plain tight. With my other car, I was able to navigate into my garage by snaking around our friends that parked in our driveway... I can see everything around the car, so I was able to snake around cars, leaving less than 1" of clearance on the corners. No way I could do that without a 360 camera without risking bumping something...

But even my Tesla. Because of the shelves and stairs in my garage, I only have about an inch or two of clearance front and back. Parking sensors are worthless at that range, as they don't function below 12". I can't back in, otherwise I can't access the trunk... So I put down reflective tape on the floor to mark where the garage door is. Then when I pull in, I turn on the repeater cameras... The rear facing camera is awesome, as you can see the entire edge of the rear bumper, so as soon as the reflective tape appears, there is sufficient clearance in the rear.

and yes, I tried the whole tennis ball thing, and laser thing... Those all suck.

Well ….. I guess I’m out of sync here ….. but I’ve tried backing in …. And find I prefer to “front in” parking. I have no trouble seeing (or perhaps sensing) where the nose of my car is. Maybe because I’ve been practicing parking all my life with all sorts of vehicles …. Some of which have had front ends that disappeared from view long before they physically stopped. And, back in the day, none of them had USS capability. Somehow I never bumped anything. Well, there was that one time in a ridiculously tight garage situation when I was backing in my Land Cruiser and nudged my wife’s car …. But the LC didn’t have a backup camera.

As for exiting a parking space, I strongly prefer backing out. The wide-angle backup cameras on all my cars can see “around the corners” of the cars parked next to me. Here in Mississippi, those are generally enormous pick-em-up trucks or mega-SUVs. If I’m backed in, I have to poke the nose of the car out into the travel lane an inch or so at a time until finally I can actually see around the mountainous vehicles on either side. When backing out, the camera can see what’s coming much sooner than I can going forward.

No data ….. just my personal anecdotal experience.

I don't have a Tesla (yet?) but I've been backing in whenever possible since I started driving 22 years ago, and that was before cameras and other aids. I find it easier to park accurately that way, and easier to pull out, regardless of the vehicle in driving. I've never had 360 cameras.

Reactions: BitJam
Well ….. I guess I’m out of sync here ….. but I’ve tried backing in …. And find I prefer to “front in” parking. I have no trouble seeing (or perhaps sensing) where the nose of my car is. Maybe because I’ve been practicing parking all my life with all sorts of vehicles …. Some of which have had front ends that disappeared from view long before they physically stopped. And, back in the day, none of them had USS capability. Somehow I never bumped anything. Well, there was that one time in a ridiculously tight garage situation when I was backing in my Land Cruiser and nudged my wife’s car …. But the LC didn’t have a backup camera.

As for exiting a parking space, I strongly prefer backing out. The wide-angle backup cameras on all my cars can see “around the corners” of the cars parked next to me. Here in Mississippi, those are generally enormous pick-em-up trucks or mega-SUVs. If I’m backed in, I have to poke the nose of the car out into the travel lane an inch or so at a time until finally I can actually see around the mountainous vehicles on either side. When backing out, the camera can see what’s coming much sooner than I can going forward.

No data ….. just my personal anecdotal experience.
I too prefer backing out over backing in. I find it so much harder to see around other cars parked next to me, usually SUVs and trucks, when trying to pull out of a parking spot going forward.

In my area I rarely see people back into parking spots, Tesla or not.

A) I can see better where the rear bumper is VS the front when backing in. B) I can get closer to the other car in a tight garage, leaving more room on drivers side to get in/out. C) The trunk is easier to access in the garage.

4B628C97-B0C8-4B2B-AEA8-299AADA38BEA.jpeg

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
A) I can see better where the rear bumper is VS the front when backing in. B) I can get closer to the other car in a tight garage, leaving more room on drivers side to get in/out. C) The trunk is easier to access in the garage.

View attachment 877970
WOW that’s tight! I don’t even like not leaving enough room to fit a stroller between the cars!!

• Funny
Reactions: CaptUAL