Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Model 3 charge at 32 amps and not 40 like my S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems silly to make something less expensive in the less expensive version of a car? Really?
The charger is in the pack right? Is the 48A unit in the LR the same as the one in the S and X? If so then costs should come down through economies of scale, no? Less changes to the pack to make the SR battery means they should be able to make more of them faster.

It is kind of like including thousands of dollars worth of camera and GPU tech in every Tesla. I am sure the bean counters would love to ditch all that hardware and force folks to pay for it for it to even be put in the car.

Though I guess in the end charging at 7.2 kW is as good as charging at 11kW.

The charger is in the pack right? Is the 48A unit in the LR the same as the one in the S and X? If so then costs should come down through economies of scale, no? Less changes to the pack to make the SR battery means they should be able to make more of them faster.

Yes, the charger is in the pack, and no I don't think it is the same charger as used in the S or X. I highly doubt swapping one sub-component of the pack out is going to change the production speed. (They will probably have entirely separate lines for each pack size.)

Given the planned volume for the Model 3 they are likely more cost conscious than they are with the S&X.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
I was replying to a post about people being screwed by only getting 32A charging on the SR.

How is that being screwed? Tesla isn't hiding that fact, and if the up to 50% faster home/destination charging is that important to them they can opt for the LR version. (I know: they don't need the extra range so why should they have to pay for it? Well I don't need the rear heated seats, glass roof, or premium interior materials but I "need" the premium sound system. So I have to pay for the PUP or go without.)

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
There is also an option for a "corded mobile connector" with a fixed NEMA 14-50 plug: Model S/X Corded Mobile Connector

It mentions the "integrated 240 volt 50 amp rated plug for high power output" so I assume it can charge continuously at 40 amps.

It's listed as "Model S/X Corded Mobile Connector", but I don't see why it wouldn't work with a Model 3 as well.

I've only ever charged our Model 3 with our juicebox Pro + J1772 adapter and it charges at 40 amps and 36 mph. I didn't realize the Gen2 UMC could only charge at 32 amps until I started looking at the Gen2 adapter options at the Tesla web site and noticed that the max charging rate was only listed as 30 mph.
I just got my Model 3, and my JuiceBox 40 (non-pro) is maxing out at 21A :(