Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Sport Acceleration mode exist?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
I have a P85D which I had upgraded to Ludicrous mode. When I got the car back I noticed that it was in Sport Mode rather than Ludicrous.

Other than when you are trying to conserve the battery, why would you use Sport mode? Especially when you pay several $$$ to upgrade to Ludicrous.

Many performance oriented cars have different driving modes. This is more about the overall driving experience for the driver as the car is a bit more tame. As a P90DL owner I prefer having the option to have a more tame or a more spirited response from the car when I fancy a drive.

Why have Sport Acceleration?

Easy answer: I always drive in Ludicrous in my upgraded P85D. But for the driver profiles assigned to my wife and daughter, I have set the acceleration to Sport. Ludicrous is too much of a contrast with what they normally drive, and could be dangerous in a sudden emergency. If either wants to go with Ludicrous, it only requires a button push. Thus far, they always leave the setting in Sport, which they expressly prefer.

I always drive in Ludicrous in my upgraded P85D. But for the driver profiles assigned to my wife and daughter, I have set the acceleration to Sport. Ludicrous is too much of a contrast with what they normally drive, and could be dangerous in a sudden emergency. If either wants to go with Ludicrous, it only requires a button push. Thus far, they always leave the setting in Sport, which they expressly prefer.

Same story here. I drive my P90DL in Ludicrous, but mashing the accelerator in that mode makes my wife feel sick. She's used to flooring her S 85 and likes that, so I just set her P90DL profile to Sport, so she can drive it similar to her 85 and get a reasonably similar experience.

She could of course just not floor it; but as Texas said, this makes the driving experience between the two cars more similar. We already have enough issues with the inverted cruise/turn signal stalks...

It's a marketing/psychological thing. People just love to have a switch for extra power. Many performance cars have that switch. It's something you can show to friends or in a video. 'Look I'm switching to insane/ludicrous mode'.

Honestly, I wished I had this option on my Mustang back in the day. I had it tuned soo aggressively that you couldn't hold an RPM in Neutral and if a gnat soo much as farted on the gas pedal the tires would break traction. It was soo touchy that I never let anyone drive it for fear that they would put it into a ditch somewhere. Goddamn was it fun at the track though!

Oops! Never mind. I tried to set my wife and daughter's profiles to Sport. However, I double-checked and found that that Acceleration is not kept with driver profiles.

Acceleration ought to be on the profile list for safety reasons. Profiles will retain Steering Mode and Creep selection, which are helpful.

Tesla should consider adding Acceleration to controls that change with profile.

Someone I took out for a "demo" the other day was amused that the only options were Sport and Insane/Ludicrous - no "normal" mode!!

When we first had the car I was at a roundabout, car at the next entrance round was about to pull out so I knew I had to be quick. Car was in Insane and the sudden neck-snap was uncomfortable for my passengers, who had not been watching other traffic at the roundabout and thus not expecting it, as I was. So now I drive strictly in Sport mode - unless I am in a hurry. I've never had a situation where I wanted to sprint where Sport was not enough and Insane (or Ludicrous) would have made a difference. If I'm on a back road, with only occasional straights, and I know I might need it only then do I switch Insane on.

I keep meaning to do some energy-usage comparisons for normal driving to see if it makes much difference when 90% of the time I'm following-or-cruising. Assuming there was no difference then when I am on my own I'd have Insane turned on ...

I agree it should be in driver profiles. Wifee setting off after I have left the car in Insane, or me getting back in after she's changed it to Sport, and neither of us realising, could be a safety issue.