Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does the model 3 have the worst parking camera overlay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now I know the lines connected to the camera represent the rear wheels in my case the left one does not join the bottom like the right... But you have all that sensor information wouldn't it be great in 2020 Tesla do some updates to this so we can see more spacial relevant information of the whole car represented by something like other cars for 10+ years have been doing with a grid that represents the external limits of the car. I know there is the sensor bubble but that is not always that accurate even in my drive it can think I am close to something when I am not or vice versa and thats just brick. I mean surely couldn't you specify where you want to park and then the car draws a suggested alignment to follow using some neural net? Bring information from the right onto the camera overlay.

The proximity sensors do not report anything closer than about 12 inches, they just say STOP, so you can't rely on them for tight garage spaces. The line guide on the rear camera is also pretty inaccurate. For one thing it should widen as you turn the wheel to account for the protrusion of the rear bumper. But even so, you can clearly see the curved line drift sideways across the pavement as you back up even when flat and level.

Last edited:
I don't quite trust any sensors as much as my eyes. So long as the MCU can handle it, I wish they would use side front/rear cameras for forward/reverse, as an option. And also like Kia has done, side rear cams on turn signal.

So in reality the sensors are not very accurate for parking? So how does the autonomy do it, by the camera’s? It would be nice if this area got some TLC on looking back reverse parking has been like this since the start. Is the overlay possible to change via a software update?

So in reality the sensors are not very accurate for parking? So how does the autonomy do it, by the camera’s? It would be nice if this area got some TLC on looking back reverse parking has been like this since the start. Is the overlay possible to change via a software update?

For perp parking autopark requires a space at least 9.5 feet wide with another car parked on either side of it....meaning the just-over-6-foot-wide Model 3 would have more than 12" on each side of space to another car it'd get a good signal from the ultrasonics on.

Likewise- for the 15'4 foot long Model 3 parallel park requires a space between 20-30 feet long

For perp parking autopark requires a space at least 9.5 feet wide with another car parked on either side of it....meaning the just-over-6-foot-wide Model 3 would have more than 12" on each side of space to another car it'd get a good signal from the ultrasonics on.

Likewise- for the 15'4 foot long Model 3 parallel park requires a space between 20-30 feet long

Is there a way to check sensor calibration at home? Like this afternoon the car says stop on one side when there is plenty of room. Hold there for about 10 seconds and it changes its mind but thats kinds slow to redraw the right distance. Does wood play havoc with these sensors? Its just that in my head the car has the biggest sensor and camera package going but we have 2 white lines to guide us in that for some reason don't work too well by my eyes compared to other cars so why such a basic solution when it could avoid a lot of curb rash and parking gripes for manual parkers.