Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does the Model 3 not have privacy glass?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My thought (which I don't think that anyone else has made, so I'm probably wrong) is that M3 is an older model, privacy glass wasn't included then (for whatever reason / at that time), and short of a refresh that isn't going to happen. I don't see the fact that MY has it as a reason for why M3 should be expected to - when it is added it will be available, Natch!, but being an older model then it just wasn't built that way ... and until it is ... nada
MY has it as it was mentioned before because of Federal law: It is an interesting one - SUVs come under multipurpose vehicle and they are regulated differently to passenger cars. M3 doesn’t have it as mentioned before because of the variability across regions. This is the reason why it is done as such in America. Not sure why they decided to replicate the same federal rules to other parts of the world.

It’s an American car, designed in America, by Americans for the American market first and foremost (see auto pilot).

As long as it’s not illegal in a third country they are unlikely to change it for the sake of changing it. 1 part, 1 spec, it’s all about simplicity.

It’s really that simple.

It’s an American car, designed in America, by Americans for the American market first and foremost (see auto pilot).

As long as it’s not illegal in a third country they are unlikely to change it for the sake of changing it. 1 part, 1 spec, it’s all about simplicity.

It’s really that simple.

My thought (which I don't think that anyone else has made, so I'm probably wrong) is that M3 is an older model, privacy glass wasn't included then (for whatever reason / at that time), and short of a refresh that isn't going to happen. I don't see the fact that MY has it as a reason for why M3 should be expected to - when it is added it will be available, Natch!, but being an older model then it just wasn't built that way ... and until it is ... nada

Yet they add 'double glazed windows'...

Reactions: WannabeOwner

It’s really that simple.
What about steering then they can sell LWD rather than manufacturing RWD in China. It is not that simple. Yes it is an American car and kept variations to bare minimum as a way of keeping cost low. But I guess this was a bit of laziness from Tesla, not too difficult to look at the RWD market and their regulations related to tinting. A simple google will provide the rules in UK, Australia, Singapore, Hongkong and Malaysia.

What about steering then they can sell LWD rather than manufacturing RWD in China. It is not that simple. Yes it is an American car and kept variations to bare minimum as a way of keeping cost low. But I guess this was a bit of laziness from Tesla, not too difficult to look at the RWD market and their regulations related to tinting. A simple google will provide the rules in UK, Australia, Singapore, Hongkong and Malaysia.
It is that simple when you are talking about the windows, there is no difference between left and drive and right hand drive, it’s the same part for all regions.

You don’t have to look very hard to realise Tesla’s design and engineering ethos is simplicity. They really do go out of their way to try and design out as many parts as possible to have the fewest number of parts. They have the least number combinations of car as they can get away with.

They are not going to put in place two different window specs which are otherwise the same to cater for USA and non-USA if they can get away with it. It’s not laziness, it’s a deliberate design and engineering choose to streamline their supply chains. It’s basically the complete opposite of what Porsche do.

Note this is not a defence of the of them not tinting the windows, it’s just the reality of how they operate.

Reactions: Roy B