Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does the Model 3 not have privacy glass?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cost saving maybe?
Not exactly - but in a more circuitous way you can say that! The US state laws regarding privacy glass and tinting ratios are pretty varied from 70% to 5%. Any factory that does that has to do more personalised based on regions and mass production and selling (the way Tesla wanted to do) wasn’t possible at the time when they really wanted to take Model 3 to the mass. I guess with Model 3s popularity and Tesla’s success it is now possible to do some personalisation based on State laws.

Yes, it is about cost cutting but also mass producing at that point needed some practical solutions. Anyhow accessories market and tinting business was always flourishing in US, so it wasn’t seen as an issue there.

Not exactly - but in a more circuitous way you can say that! The US state laws regarding privacy glass and tinting ratios are pretty varied from 70% to 5%. Any factory that does that has to do more personalised based on regions and mass production and selling (the way Tesla wanted to do) wasn’t possible at the time when they really wanted to take Model 3 to the mass. I guess with Model 3s popularity and Tesla’s success it is now possible to do some personalisation based on State laws.

Yes, it is about cost cutting but also mass producing at that point needed some practical solutions. Anyhow accessories market and tinting business was always flourishing in US, so it wasn’t seen as an issue there.
How does that make sense when the Model Y has privacy glass though?

If it's some crazy American rules around it then why not have China built M3s have privacy glass since they'll never be made for the American market

Tends to make cars look rubbish?
We'll agree to disagree on this one 😉

Reactions: pipestem and Whyone
My wife didn't have an opinion when we had the Model 3 & she occasionally sat in the back. Now she has used the rear seats in the Y she really likes the privacy glass.

I also noticed the other day when cleaning them that as well as double laminated front windows, the rears are also the same so that must have been a later addition. Apart from road noise I always found the 3 to be pretty quiet but the Y is noticeably better in that respect which surprised me. The windows (& parcel shelf especially when fully closed) must be contributing.

Got mine tinted within 2 weeks of ownership by a local guy/business near to us.

Cost me £250 for sides and rear.

Been perfect ever since.. honestly quite surprised most others users haven't (considering what we all spend of accessories for the inside) this isn't a particularly large sum?

Also helps keep my hanging clothes hidden a little more when travelling!

Rear end tint.jpg

View attachment 933821

My thought (which I don't think that anyone else has made, so I'm probably wrong) is that M3 is an older model, privacy glass wasn't included then (for whatever reason / at that time), and short of a refresh that isn't going to happen. I don't see the fact that MY has it as a reason for why M3 should be expected to - when it is added it will be available, Natch!, but being an older model then it just wasn't built that way ... and until it is ... nada