Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why don't people compare range while comparing with ICE cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you seriously suggesting that I should offer to pay for a public charger in front of the apartment house where I'm living? A charger that could be used by anyone who owns an EV or a plug-in hybrid among the thousands of people who are living within walking distance? That's absurd.
It's not my calling in life to push for the adoption of EVs by the general public. I take some interest in them but an EV will only be bought once it offers the same convenience as an ICE, not earlier.
Well I guess you are not just a reader anymore.

For the vast majority of daily driving, range on both an ICE and EV is out of mind. The gasser needs an occasional trip to the corner gas station and the EV needs to be plugged in.

People don’t compare to ICE range because most cars are used to drive within a 50 mile radius of home most of the time. The majority of the time, an EV will save you time spent at gas stations, trading it for time spent charging at home while you’re doing other things.

Tesla is (currently) unique amongst EV makers in that their answer for that occasional long trip is Supercharging, making their cars less of a compromise for the typical driver. Their cars can make long trips with reasonable extra delays.

If your vehicle use is mostly long trips or you don’t have any way to charge at home, it’s not yet time for an EV for you unless you’re an enthusiast.

Reactions: McRat and Carl
IMO it is just too early in the evolution of EVs to say they are not viable for most city dwellers. They are <1% of all cars. When EVs reach 10%, we will see a sea change with more ubiquity in charging, and autonomous may make car sharing an option for many. Remember a few years ago there was no Uber. This stuff happens fast.

That must be a nice world you live in where everyone can charge their car over night. Considering that most people don`t own a house and live in dense urban areas without private parking spots that`s utopic.

It is not. Most people with rented flats in modern buildings have parking garages in the basement multi family house buildings. It is definitly solveable to install a CEE16 at your parking spot there as long as you install a meter for your energy.

For the ones in old buildings with latern parking I agree. Thats ICE market for the time being. But probably not premium ICE market.

Last edited:
Reactions: SageBrush
Probably for the same reason there aren't many articles comparing a BMW 3-Series to a horse and buggy: they are two very different ways of getting from point A to point B. And, like most horse and buggy owners at the time of the first automobiles, the people who are used to the old technology think the new technology is a bit silly and don't have any intention of switching.

Probably for the same reason there aren't many articles comparing a BMW 3-Series to a horse and buggy: they are two very different ways of getting from point A to point B. And, like most horse and buggy owners at the time of the first automobiles, the people who are used to the old technology think the new technology is a bit silly and don't have any intention of switching.

You did not answer the question at all.

• Disagree
Reactions: mmd and SageBrush
For the vast majority of daily driving, range on both an ICE and EV is out of mind. The gasser needs an occasional trip to the corner gas station and the EV needs to be plugged in.

People don’t compare to ICE range because most cars are used to drive within a 50 mile radius of home most of the time. The majority of the time, an EV will save you time spent at gas stations, trading it for time spent charging at home while you’re doing other things.

Tesla is (currently) unique amongst EV makers in that their answer for that occasional long trip is Supercharging, making their cars less of a compromise for the typical driver. Their cars can make long trips with reasonable extra delays.

If your vehicle use is mostly long trips or you don’t have any way to charge at home, it’s not yet time for an EV for you unless you’re an enthusiast.

So you agree that EVs are not suitable for everyone but still while comparing those factors which make EVs not suitable should not be compared?

"If your vehicle use is mostly long trips or you don’t have any way to charge at home, it’s not yet time for an EV for you unless you’re an enthusiast."

+100

As simple as that. I don't care for that demographic and neither should Tesla. Oo

So you agree that EVs are not suitable for everyone but still while comparing those factors which make EVs not suitable should not be compared?

Oh come on. With an ICE you have to go fill up every x km anyway, but there's no shortage a gas stations to fill up.

Wholly different paradigm. With a Tesla, you never have to fill up (you do it at home, at night) except when you're doing road trips. On such road trips, range makes a difference (or to be more correct, range makes a small difference and charging time - which is also dependant on battery size- makes a larger difference). It's about: shall I buy 75kWh or 100kWh battery, knowing that with 75kWh I will need half an hour more for my 800km road trip to the Alps, or is the upgrade to 100kWh not worth that half hour? That half hour, incidentally, is anyway a lot less than any owner of an ICE car will have spent at a gas station in the three preceding months...

Range anxiety? Forget it. There are SuperChargers everywhere now and your Tesla will show you where best to charge next on your road trip. The concept of range anxiety more or less no longer exists with a Tesla.

As a result: it's useless to compare ICE and Tesla range, because driving a Tesla is entirely a different story!

Reactions: gavine

I’m not sure this sentence (?) makes any sense. So I’ll try to clarify my point:

If you can’t charge at home it’s probably not ready for you yet. The convenience of a BEV is “start every day topped off.” If you’re always road tripping, you will probably find the charge waits annoying.

Extra waits are no big deal every now and then. You have a savings account full of saved minutes from trips to the gas station (always seemingly at the worst time too!) you can withdraw from. But if extra waits are more common than not, it would be more trouble than it’s worth.

We fit into the majority — most of our driving is local, with 200-300 mile trips maybe three times a year. For us, we charge at home and we save more time and hassle by avoiding the gas station than the charging is worth. It’s a net gain on the fuel convenience side. That, plus the way the cars drive (gobs of instant torque, one pedal driving, low center of gravity) is what sold us on a Tesla.

If for you it’s not a net gain, then there’s no reason you should have an EV unless you just like the idea (aka you’re an enthusiast).

Range anxiety? Forget it. There are SuperChargers everywhere now and your Tesla will show you where best to charge next on your road trip. The concept of range anxiety more or less no longer exists with a Tesla.

This is quite a bold statement. Yes, the Supercharger network has grown at an impressive rate, yet you still have to plan your journey according to their locations.
There are plenty of places where superchargers are not so commonplace: parts of France, Spain, Poland, Hungary etc. etc.

In original post, you asked. "Why don't articles comparing Model 3 to BMW compare range?"

Exactly what articles are you talking about?

I've only seen one such comparison, which was on EV blog Electek. I would not categorize this as an "article", but you may. My criteria are: major publication, and published in print.

I'd be surprised if a direct comparison article does not show up in many of the car rags within the next few months. I'd be shocked if it did not discuss range. Almost every major publication article about EVs discusses range. I've never met anyone whose first question about EVs isn't range. Everybody knows it is different, so the press must have done ample education on this.

So, I really do not understand what your point is. You are accusing exactly whom the n the press of being impartial? You are implying that the press is misleading which innocent auto shoppers?

This OP refuses to understand the reason we want EVs to begin with. It's not about range. It's not about the price of gas. It's not about price of oil. It's not about crying when your engine fails.
It's all about change for the good of mankind.
By this I do not mean that gas cars are horrific for the environment.
I mean oil in general is bad for the environment.
All the things oil spills kill and take away from that area.
All the human blood and death that has happened over wars over the resource of cheap oil.
I'm sick of this myself. Soldiers-who were my friends came back and said we had no business being over there at all.
Gov't just wanted cheap oil. A very sad thing to die for.
No dependence on oil-there wouldn't have been desert storm 1 and 2.