Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why don't the maps buffer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems like the Tesla nav doesn't buffer. I am constantly driving around in my home area and the maps show up blank due to a momentary glitch in LTE i guess. Why aren't your home area maps that you drive frequently stored?

Google Maps has an option to download maps. Very annoying and weird that “Tesla maps” can not download maps.

As far as I know it is all google based.

Yeah for a much "high tech" there is in this car, there really isn't that much.

The high tech is largely limited to the batteries/drive train and sensors/AP

Most things cabin/interface related could sorely use some help
  1. Maps
  2. Voice operation of the car (why can't I voice dial a number directly or more importantly confirm which number I want to call when the contact has multiple)
  3. Phone integration (some please besides the extreme basics we have)
  4. Be able to actually use the browser instead of it always being locked up

I mean I love the car but there are some really easy/obvious things that should be done to bring it up to other much lower range car standards.

Reactions: camthehombre
Turn the satellite view off and just go with the standard highway view. From what I can tell, the basic map completely exists on the vehicle, the satellite has to be downloaded. This becomes pretty obvious when you don't have cellular coverage.

I'm glad that they did it this way, because not knowing where you are going because you don't have cellular coverage is pretty stupid.

• Disagree
Reactions: whitex and mburnet6
From what I can tell, the basic map completely exists on the vehicle, the satellite has to be downloaded. This becomes pretty obvious when you don't have cellular coverage.

I'm glad that they did it this way, because not knowing where you are going because you don't have cellular coverage is pretty stupid.

This just isn’t true. No cell coverage, no maps. I go through the same 10 mile stretch with no cell service every day and half of my map screen fills in with blank gray tiles until I get back into an area with service.

Turn the satellite view off and just go with the standard highway view. From what I can tell, the basic map completely exists on the vehicle, the satellite has to be downloaded. This becomes pretty obvious when you don't have cellular coverage.

That's incorrect. I never use sat view and experience exactly what I describe.

Unfortunately in this case Tesla IS pretty stupid. And if it is a licensing issue then they need to work that $hit out, either in actually paying to license the ability to cache the maps or create their own or other.

The navigation system uses saved maps so it can route you to your destination when you are out of cell coverage (you experience will vary). I think the original navigation was Garmin but I think there was mention that Tesla switched to TomTom or is using a crowd sourced navigation. The Google maps are not cached and rely on cell coverage.

This is supremely annoying and even on LTE sometimes it just takes a bit more time, forget other regions (I drove up north once where there is no data and couldnt use Nav since I had not "pre-entered" destinations I wanted to search).

Always remember to either write down the addresses or pre-search for destinations so you don't end up in this situation. If its already searched, it will navigate based on pre-existing map but the display doesn't refresh with any detail since there is no data

Yeah for a much "high tech" there is in this car, there really isn't that much.

The high tech is largely limited to the batteries/drive train and sensors/AP

Most things cabin/interface related could sorely use some help
  1. Maps
  2. Voice operation of the car (why can't I voice dial a number directly or more importantly confirm which number I want to call when the contact has multiple)
  3. Phone integration (some please besides the extreme basics we have)
  4. Be able to actually use the browser instead of it always being locked up

I mean I love the car but there are some really easy/obvious things that should be done to bring it up to other much lower range car standards.

While this is true, the 17 inch google maps display is far better than most OEM navigation I've used including BMW, Lexus, Mercedes.

While this is true, the 17 inch google maps display is far better than most OEM navigation I've used including BMW, Lexus, Mercedes.
To that I agree. That's why it's silly to then limit it by having it retrieve the maps constantly as I drive around. It's like constantly playing a PS2 where the background objects would suddenly pop into view. I'm mildly annoyed at how often I see blank tiles on my nav screen.

• Informative
Reactions: bpjod and mburnet6