Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why hasn't their been a push to convert M3 prospects to MS Customers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Random thought....Why hasn't their been more of a push from Tesla to convert those Model 3 reservation holders who don't currently own a Tesla into Model S prospects? I don't have a strong understanding of Tesla's financials, but I would assume revenue you can grab today (especially on a more expensive product) would be a far more attractive option vs waiting 12-18 months when the car is available. I know this is probably a small % of total M3 reservation holders who would consider an S, but its just strange how Tesla has non-marketed to this key group who has already plunked down money towards the overall brand.
Even a small discount towards a new S may be enough to move a few thousand units (assuming they can produce them quickly)

thanks for the article. I heard about this before; but I guess the genesis of my post was that I haven't seen Tesla actually do anything to push "anti-selling" in terms of alternative pricing, promotions, etc.

Tesla did, one month after my model 3 reservation I was invited to come and test drive any Model S or X.
It ended up with me asking where to sign.
Bought a S60 now upgraded to a S75, still have my Model 3 reservation.

Pretty much happened the same way for me. Price drop on the S60 around this time last year brought me into the showroom and placed my order. Keeping my 3 reso still.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I don't know why anybody at tesla is surprised by this. I mean is a model s worth twice as much as a model 3?

We were looking like crazy last year to buy a model s and just could not swallow spending nearly $75k. Now it's even more crazy as the 60 is no longer offered and autopilot has been raised from $2k to $5k. At some point Tesla is either going to have to upgrade it or slash the price.

Reactions: Whistle2Whine
Tesla has been trying to convert M3 reservation holders for over a year now.

Direct emails and phone calls
Re-intro of MS 60
AP 2.0
Inventory car fire sale
Announced "price increase" for MS 60
End of free supercharging
"Just kidding no end of free supercharging"

...etc etc etc.

Worked for me, M3 line-stander on 3/31, bought MS last December.

Is the Model S worth the premium over Model 3?

Honestly this is something I have wondered about myself too, and it'll all become clear in a few more days.
From my point of view, there are a few things I really dislike about Model S.

1. It's huge size
2. That it costs a fortune to repair.
(3. and also the general unreliability, but Model 3 reliability is TB seen.)

I don't need the range of 100D, and I don't need the super fast acceleration, and the unlimited supercharging, personally I never use it (I know some are different). I do care about the seats folding flat, which Model S has, and Model 3 doesn't.

But if a brand new Model 3 can be had with AP2 and doodads for $50/60K, I have a really really hard time justifying a Model S.

I know Musk is saying that Model S is more premium. But given that Model S isn't exactly "premium", man Model 3's interior better have more plastic than a California teenager, and the options on Model 3 better cost a fortune.

Few more days .. we will know!

PS: And as a side note, if Model 3 isn't more premium, it is a lower margin car - which doesn't bode will for Tesla profits.

Not long after reserving a 3, I tried to get a test drive in an S but was told that there were too many prospective buyers they had to satisfy first.

I've not had a call back to try and get me interested in an S, so they don't seem to be trying too hard to switch me.

It's close enough now that I think I'll wait for the 3 and if I find that lacking will then maybe look at the S.

This and the IIHS news all point to one conclusion: It's time to upgrade the S and the X. Especially with the sales having plateaued.

Makes no sense to upgrade either with M3 imminent and was always the focus of Musk's desire to bring EV to the masses. Once the market is properly understood for the M3 - then upgrade the S, and finally X.

Is there more money in 'luxury' or 'highspec' M3 vs many MS options? Who knows. I see a stretched M3 line to where MS (notionally) starts - and then MS getting refreshed up-market somewhat to be a more direct competitor with S-Class, etc.

On topic - MS CPO owner, with M3 reservations - bought MS after reservations as decided I could not wait. Good choice - every day driving MS is fun - of course it's my wife's car, so I have to keep finding excuses not to take the ICEosaur.

Very simply...Right now the company's future depends on the success of the 3.

Moving orders to the MS would be the worst thing they could do and goes again the mission of electrifying the automotive fleet. Only so many of us are lucky enough to drop the coin it takes for an MS.