Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I need my Tesla really bad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what you mean by "Comparing to the worst of the worst ICE is a little silly" my vehicle gets 20MPG, I track all my fuel ups, silly or not, it is real.
20 mpg is *sugar* today by any standard. It that class vehicle it doesn’t get much worse.

My 20 year old Jeep Grand got 20 mpg.

You are comparing a terrible ICE to a good (and very expensive and newer) EV as your justification, to save money.

You should be comparing a good ICE (probably a hybrid), probably much cheaper, to the Y. Not some bottom of the barell ICE.

If your goal is to save money, which is what you are rooting.

A Y is not gonna save you money. Well it might if your only option was the bottom of the barrel ICE. Point is, it’s not.

Amen bro, I got my. Solar system 4 yrs ago when it was a great price then, didn't even thinking of ev. Glad I did . Gas prices going up, next is electricity prices.
I got my Solar 6 years ago not even thinking of EV either. Just breaking even on it now. Lucky I oversized the Solar a bit too. It’s the best combo with EV. Because electricity will catch up. It’s all energy with supply and demand.

We also live in SF Bay Area. Got solar 18 months ago (tesla with powerwall) and glad we oversized it to the max our roof could hold. We replaced our 2019 BMW X1 with the MYLR and between the energy savings (i know, we are still paying off the solar) and gas, we are quite ahead. We drive 1500 miles a month. Thats about a tank of gas a week for a 16 gal tank. Or $400 month just for gas and right now our solar is generating enough excess to cover charging our MY so to maximize savings, get as much solar as you can install. Electricity will only go up. Especially with PGE paying for all the wildfires they are causing…

Reactions: JDEWD250
I wish I didn’t live in a townhouse and then I could have solar
If you live in CA, actually you can. HOA’s cannot deny you the right and ability to install a solar (PV) system on the roof, even if it is defined as common area(s).
The state has set limits and rules on what HOA’s can impose and they are quite achievable. Check with your management company - they probably already have the architectural requirements already defined and haven’t made a big deal about it.

Quite a few people I know have installed PV systems on townhouses/condos, generally 5-6kW in size, which is usually more than adequate for home and car charging.

Just for the hell of it, here are my REAL numbers after 18 weeks of ownership.

Picked up on Oct 19th 2022 at Tesla Fremont

Currently I have 15604 miles on it, I'm averaging 860 miles a week

Total cost to charge is $1457 ( per Tesla app) averages out to $0.26 per KWH 70% at home, 25% supercharging and 5% free from hotel stays

15600 miles in my previous vehicle, 2019 Honda Passport EX-L would have been about $4200

My Passport was costing from $.25 to $0.31 per mile depending on gas prices here in sunny Calif, I used $0.27 for comparison

My Model Y is at $0.093 per mile

The numbers do not lie,

I've saved over $2700 since I got my car, not to mention the 2 oil changes and a transmission service that would have been due for the passport.

I love my Model Y!

I used 778 kWh for the past 31 days. $17! Used the SC twice driving to Reno. I don’t charge at home anymore.

if u can find free charging around u, that’s where u can saved the most! plus, I have solar. 😁

according to my app. I saved $425 this month alone. Push out 12 month, $5k! 6 years owners, $30k!! My solar system cost me $15k after incentives for a 8kw system. No regrets!

plus, I get $500 per solar referral. i refer 6 of my buddies. So my system actually cost me 12k. 😁

Reactions: JDEWD250