Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Audi E-Tron selling so well in Norway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
.../ Anyways, I was more making the point that I don't believe Norway is a good indicator of any trend. Starting with essentially using oil sales to afford expensive EVs. /... [My underline.]
I doubt that is the case...

I remember when VW launched the current version of the European VW Passat station wagon (not sold in the US, and not based on the Passat sedan sold in the US). Then an entry level gasoline VW Passat station wagon was the same price in Norway as a Model S with the big battery. Why? Because all ICE cars have a huge penalty tax in Norway (and in Denmark as well). So it seems to me that it's the heavy penalty taxation of ICE cars that are financing the subsidies of EVs in Norway and not the oil sales. But I guess I haven't fact checked that. Perhaps someone else feels like doing that...

As a comparison a Model S with the big battery has always been a ~91K+ USD car in Sweden, while the same Passat station wagon mentioned above currently is a ~31.5K USD car in Sweden...

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
Audi E-Tron is the #9 best selling EV worldwide, outselling Model S and Model X combined.

@dwain.freez What time period are you looking at? From what I can in through 2020 Q2:

Model S&X: 22,800
e-Tron: 14,238 (That is missing Europe June sales, but includes through Q2 for US.)

If we assume that Europe sales were consistent we would add another ~2,200 bringing e-Tron to 16,438. Still way short of the S&X combined.

Model S&X: 22,800
e-Tron: 14,238 (That is missing Europe June sales, but includes through Q2 for US.)

Where do you get the 22,800 figure from? This is what I found for EV sales through May 2020, S isn't on the list, but there isn't a sales figure for a car in the #21 spot that would combine with X to get to 22,800: EV Sales: Global Top 20 May 2020

(I don't know how valuable a metric it is to compare these models like this, the comment just piqued my interest and now I'm in the weeds on it)

So I called three different Audi dealers and none would touch the advertised price. Most of them were looking for ~7k in cap cost, first month payment and fees and roughly 1300/month, 36 months, 10k per year and NJ has 0 tax on BEVs or this would be 100/mo higher. That’s just utterly ridiculous based on the price of the car. I don’t know the money factors but the implied residual has to be crap given the total of payments. For comparison purposes in 2017 I leased a well equipped s550 with an MSRP of 118k for no cap cost (first month, DMV and bank fee) for 1450 per month including tax. NJ taxes the payment amount at the sales tax rate, which at the was 6.625%.

While the car has some virtues I couldn’t even consider it for that price.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Remember that there are A LOT of Tesla's in Norway. About 1 of every 10-30 car you meet on the road is a Tesla S, X or 3 depending on where you're driving. Buying a Tesla in Norway now is buying the same car as everyone else are buying.

Tesla also had a very bad service reputation here in 2018-2019. They could not handle the service pressure at all, and people had to live with cars that were never in perfect shape. They had to wait 6 months for fixing a problem, and when they got their car back it still had issues. These people swore all over the forums in Norway that never Tesla again.

The consumer regulations are also very strict in Norway. Norwegians expect a high level of things covered by warranty for 5 years because the regulations demand so, and they expect that the company adheres to those rules. Tesla is an American company with very low customer protection, and Tesla did try the same practices over here. A lot of people took that as a provocation, and Tesla never seemed to "know about the Norwegian laws" and denied everything. A few customers took it to court, and won ofcourse, but it seemed like Tesla was saving a lot of costs by customers not aware of their rights. This also caused a lot of bad reputation, and it's still going on. Just look at the latest news about MCU's only getting 2 years warranty, yet Norwegian laws demand 5 years. Even consumer laptops get 5 years warranty here, because they are required to.

Then Audi E-tron comes. It's not the same technical level as Tesla, but has an apparent higher build quality, and it's something new that not everyone else drives. It's obvious that it will sell a lot, atleast in the beginning! :)

@dwain.freez What time period are you looking at?
I am talking last months, for example May 2020:

E-Tron: 2204
Model X: 1004
Model S: not in Top 20

Unbenannt.JPG

Same with April 2020:
E-Tron: 1783
Model X: 999
Model S: not in Top 20

Top%2B20%2BModels.jpg

Audi E-Tron seems to sell on a level of Model X and Model S combined these days.

Tesla is losing a lot of customers here in Norway because of bad service(last year), bad quality, no customer support at all.
Everytime you tell someone here that you have a Tesla they pretty much always comment that they heard there was a lot of quality issues and that you should never buy american cars.

Teslas really are not "premium" or "luxury" cars over here, they are incredibly common and pretty much anyone who work in a job above mcdonalds could afford one if they wanted. Any parking space I go to I know there will be multiple Teslas parked and driving on the road its very common to drive behind another Tesla.. or two.. or three. I see people living in houses here that look almost like junkie houses and still they have a Tesla.
Now in the last year or so there are suddenly several EV options here to Tesla, sure they dont have the range, but range does not matter much in a country where the avg driving speed is 30-40mph and there are chargers all over the place.

Teslas became super popular here mostly for their price, basicly you get a super fast car for the price of a shitty old gas car.
I traded in my 2012 prius for a 2018 Model S and I saved 400 euros per month by doing so because of how taxes etc work here.

I personally think going for anything other than a Tesla is still stupid, but sadly many people here are very missinformed mostly because of the quality issues.

• Helpful
Reactions: jbcarioca
  • Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
Audi E-Tron is the #9 best selling EV worldwide, outselling Model S and Model X combined.
So I guess it's just a rather successful car.

"Audi e-tron’s global sales grew 86.8% year-on-year (y/y) to 17,641 units during the first half of 2020, the company announced in a press release on 16 July."

Audi e-tron's sales grow 86.8% y/y in first half 2020; launches MY2020 e-tron Sportback in US - AutoTechInsight

So the e-tron is selling better than I expected, but it is still more than 5k behind the combined S&X sales in the first half of 2020.

July 2020 numbers from Norway:
  • Audi e-tron - 775
  • Mercedes-Benz EQC - 698
  • Hyundai Kona Electric - N/A (384 total with ICE; mostly BEV)
  • Nissan LEAF - 222
  • Volkswagen e-Golf - N/A (214 total with ICE; mostly BEV)
  • Renault ZOE - 128
  • BMW i3 - 117
  • Tesla Model 3 - 22
norway-car-registrations-july-2020-source-ofv.png