Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Audi E-Tron selling so well in Norway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Audi just announced a lower spec E-tron will go on sale next year in the US. Same battery pack (18 more miles though) but fewer standard options. $8,800 price cut on the lower spec.
Interesting given you can get current E-Tron trim with nearly $20k off MSRP from the credits, dealer discounts, manufacturer discounts etc.

If the lower priced E-Tron is the same way in discounts/rebates, but just with a decrease to more of a Q5 interior, it will be a good deal. An EV version of the Q5 for upper 40’s. If it had better acceleration I’d grab one of their great leases while we wait for all the new releases coming in the next few years

Audi just announced a lower spec E-tron will go on sale next year in the US. Same battery pack (18 more miles though) but fewer standard options. $8,800 price cut on the lower spec.
They added the "Premium" trim for sale in the US. It hasn't been available yet.
Also, they enable more usable battery from the current E-Tron's 83.6 kwh to 86.5 kwh.

Unbenannt.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: BlindPass
Good information.

That 222 miles with the great charge rate is better than it initially seems.

This is a very nice deal if the same discounts are offered and you can snag on for $46-$48k.

-7.5K fed credit would make it a deal! I bet the discounts would be on the more $ trims though... Do they offer 3 rows?

How's their "Virtual cockpit" compare to AP/FSD?

-7.5K fed credit would make it a deal! I bet the discounts would be on the more $ trims though... Do they offer 3 rows?

How's their "Virtual cockpit" compare to AP/FSD?
The discounts we had were from Audi, the dealership/Costco auto program, and fed tax credit.

No 3rd row. I wish they’d remove the spare and have one.

The infotainment/instrument display is better than MY, but the AP functions are not. Better driver assist in things like blindspot, backup.

The Model S and the Model X don't even show up on that list any more? Has the Model 3 completely cannibalized the other models?

The design of Model X is 5 years old. And Model S 8 years old (!!!). That's pretty much end of life for any car model.
Most people who would've wanted one, already bought one.

Cars that have high brand/model affinity, like BMW 3 series or whatever, the owners would trade them for the newer version. Here, there is not really a newer version.

Reactions: Lobstahz and redalf
Reactions: E Dizzle
I know this is not BMW i3 thread, but I really don't understand why BMW i3 is selling as well as they are. I had thought it would just die out. Less range, Slower than Tesla Model 3 SR Plus, no supercharging network, No autopilot, the "suicide" doors, etc.

I think very few people buy them. I leased one for 24 months when they first came out. $180/month with almost nothing down. It was honestly a lot of fun to drive. They really are like a go kart. If you live in the city and have a second car, they would be pretty nice. So small and easy to park, almost like a true Mini Cooper or Fiat 500, but with a carbon fiber chassis.

Reactions: BlindPass
I don't know anything, but my guess is that Tesla's strengths are just not so important in Norway.

It's a small country with not very much road traffic, particularly not at high speeds, so the efficiency, like a higher speed for the same energy, is unimportant there. The general Norwegian speed limit is 50 mph, 80 km/h, with only some selected multiple-lane roads allowing 56 mph, 90 km/h, or 62 mph, 100 km/h. For comparison, in Germany the officially recommended autobahn speed (not a speed limit) is 81 mph, 130 km/h, much faster than you are even allowed to drive in Norway. Tesla's aerodynamic advantages play no role in Norway.

You also may not feel the need for an advanced autopilot, if you mostly drive relatively short distances on smaller roads at low speeds and not much traffic. You want it for the heavily used German autobahn network, which does not exist in Norway.

Reactions: daktari
I know this is not BMW i3 thread, but I really don't understand why BMW i3 is selling as well as they are. I had thought it would just die out. Less range, Slower than Tesla Model 3 SR Plus, no supercharging network, No autopilot, the "suicide" doors, etc.
Having less range isn’t ad important in most countries, or to those that realize most of it is just anxiety. This marginalizes the SC advantage, assuming that exists outside of the US.

I think very few people buy them. I leased one for 24 months when they first came out. $180/month with almost nothing down. It was honestly a lot of fun to drive. They really are like a go kart. If you live in the city and have a second car, they would be pretty nice. So small and easy to park, almost like a true Mini Cooper or Fiat 500, but with a carbon fiber chassis.
$180/month : that’s pretty cheap!!!

You also may not feel the need for an advanced autopilot, if you mostly drive relatively short distances on smaller roads at low speeds and not much traffic. You want it for the heavily used German autobahn network, which does not exist in Norway.
When I drive in Germany I see most Tesla driving in the right lane behind some trucks to maximize range.
Fastest driving cars seem to be Audi/BMW/Mercedes station wagons with diesel engine.

Not sure if "advanced autopilot" is really needed or wanted in Germany for Autobahn driving. Also most other better car companies "Audi/BMW/Mercedes" offer basically the same thing in Germany as in advanced lane keeping assistent or adaptive cruise control and so on. Just the version made by MobilEye, not Tesla.
The Tesla Autopilot works up to 150km/h, the Audi version works up to full speed 250km/h.

Reactions: daktari
When I drive in Germany I see most Tesla driving in the right lane behind some trucks to maximize range.

Since I live in Germany and know what I see, I don't believe you. You are making this up.

Trucks have a severe speed limit here, enforced by a mandatory speed governor. Except when really running out of energy, no Tesla driver will follow a truck in Germany, and that is what I actually see.

Bottom line, Tesla needs to up its game on the cabin fit and finish. The biggest improvement would be better sound insulation. An EV should be friggin dead silent at 75mph, or really close to it. Unfortunately, it's not the case with Tesla right now.

Tesla is a tech company that's still trying to figure out how to make cars. Audi is a car company still trying to figure out how to do EVs.

Since I live in Germany and know what I see, I don't believe you. You are making this up.
It's not just me who noticed this. Tesla cars going slow on the Autobahn have become a running gag in Germany.

Tesla fahren und auf der Autobahn schleichen? - Model 3 - Allgemeine Themen • Tesla Model 3 - Elektroauto Forum
"Ich hab da mal eine Frage: gestern ist mir wieder einer diese ominösen Tesla Schleicher (rechte Spur, 90 km/h) auf der Autobahn begegnet. Hab aber leider das Gefühl das mir das immer so geht wenn ich einen Tesla auf der Autobahn sehe."

Except when really running out of energy, no Tesla driver will follow a truck in Germany, and that is what I actually see.
It might have been a Model 3 SR+ doing hypermiling to reduce the number of charging sessions.
I believe the SR+ has a bigger range than some Audi etron or Porshe Taycan EV.

ZAP EVs | Cars

Here's every electric vehicle on sale in the US for 2020 and its range

250 miles - Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus
322 miles - Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD
322 miles - Tesla Model 3 Long Range Performance AWD
330 miles - Tesla Model 3 Long Range

204 miles - Audi E-Tron

203 miles - Porsche Taycan 4S
201 miles - Porsche Taycan Turbo
192 miles - Porsche Taycan Turbo S​

Last edited: