Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is my HPWC red instead of green?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
why dont you call your electrician and see if the L1, L2/N and GND are tightly screwed , had read on the forum someone had a similar problem and the it was loose screws on the conductors. Check dial settings on the left side to the correct breaker size you are using and make sure the DIP switch is DOWN (1) and UP (2) View attachment 185054
I had ensured I had the DIP switch setting correctly and I used a torque wrench to tighten all connections to Tesla's specifications. Also, I had the breaker setting correct as well.
It's my understanding that grounding issues typically results in a flashing red light and @SSD420 and I both have a solid red light.
Anyway, Tesla is in the process of swapping it out. Might be a defective unit?

I had ensured I had the DIP switch setting correctly and I used a torque wrench to tighten all connections to Tesla's specifications. Also, I had the breaker setting correct as well.
It's my understanding that grounding issues typically results in a flashing red light and @SSD420 and I both have a solid red light.
Anyway, Tesla is in the process of swapping it out. Might be a defective unit?
My electrician was the one Tesla recommended on their site and I thought they were on point and profession. I just had them up to my cottage earlier today to install a NEMA 14-50 plug for me.

It only happened once with my HPWC. Do you think it's a cause for concern and to call Tesla or my electrician back right now?

My electrician was the one Tesla recommended on their site and I thought they were on point and profession. I just had them up to my cottage earlier today to install a NEMA 14-50 plug for me.

It only happened once with my HPWC. Do you think it's a cause for concern and to call Tesla or my electrician back right now?
When you say it happened "once", do you mean it has worked ever since? What happens if you turn off the breaker to the WC? Does the solid red-light issue happen again?

Did you guys find a solution to this? I just came home to my charger being red.

Attachments

• 4C6748B8-4BC7-48A7-B12F-D4D1BF8102F0.jpeg
    4C6748B8-4BC7-48A7-B12F-D4D1BF8102F0.jpeg
    274 KB · Views: 131
Within the first few days of owning my car - I had issues with the HPWC. I didn't know about the reset switch so I reset the breaker. That resolved the issue. It happened a few months later and I used the reset button on the HPWC - problem solved. What I have subsequently discovered is that my wife's hair dryer interrupts charging sessions and leaves the HPWC in a red state. It eventually clears itself. I don't know for sure if that was the original cause but in almost two years it has worked flawlessly apart from hair dryer episodes.

Red is indicative of a wiring or ground fault. It may be intermittent. Take the suggestions and call your electrician to check. Also, see if the voltage indicated on your charge screen is low -- typically it should be 230-240 VAC. If less, it may indicate a loose connection or wiring voltage lost. If it is lower that 230, I would not use the charger until checked out.

My Wall Charger was installed a few days ago; steady green light. Last night it was green with three red flashes, which the manual says is a configuration error inside. Not surprised, electricians never read manuals. I went down this morning to check the internal settings, and it was steady green.

Any ideas what happened?

(Car has not arrived yet, so charger unused)

@doghousePVD

Make sure the switches are set correctly for the amperage of the circuit breaker. The models of Wall Chargers have changed over the last few years. However, my manual indicates that set of lights is a switch setting or Neutral and Hot are reversed. In other words, the polarity of the wires installed are reversed. This could be either are the Junction or at the Charger. Good luck on your New X.

Don't know how your post wound up in SunShade discussion. LOL.

Last edited:
Turned out the switches inside were set to "Test mode". Did not change any physical wiring, confirmed all wires were connected to proper spot in panel. Car arrived, works fine.

@Aljohn - The thread header says this is a charger thread, nothing to do with SunShades. Something must be messed up with the forum indices.
"Why is my HPWC red instead of green?"

If this can help anyone else with the red light, in my case this happened many months after it was installed. When I opened it up and torqued on the hot terminals I found one of them not screwed all the way down. Sure enough, that was it. With the power off, do check you have a tight connection on the grounds and both hots on each side of the circuit.