Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is my registered key card an "Unknown Key"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vostok

Jul 1, 2017
Sydney
This is not a big issue but it is irritating. I associated one of the key cards to my profile and edited its name, but in the Keys screen it says this key is an "Unknown key".

My real name redacted in the photo below ;) next to the key it says Vostok's Key and below that it says 13:39 | Unknown key | Vostok.

The key works, but can I do anything to not have the key marked as an "Unknown key"? Using the pencil icon just edits the key's name in the first line.

Tesla.jpg

I edited mine and put a name against them. but I notice at the moment they just say Key Card where yours says unknown.

The reason I did this is because early on in the ownership "experience" I saw these unidentified access keys and, thinking that they may belong to Tesla personnel, deleted one of them, but "luckily" the other wouldnt delete. My wife goes into town and her phone battery goes flat and she cant get into the car because her keycard doesnt work :eek:. Luckily she was able to call me and I remotely unlocked the car so that she could charge her phone and then drive home.

I had my Model 3 serviced for another issue and had them add another key card. I have the same problem. I edited the name but still have the skeleton key icon and unknown key. The key card works. I just wish it didn’t say unknown key. Any suggestions?

I have the "unknown key" type also with my MY keycards. Also both iPhones from me (iPhone 11) and my wife (iPhone 11 Pro Max) are not recognised and have the "unknown key" tag. They work fine and also the walk away function. Also tried deleting and adding them again a few times and rebooting (double pressing both wheels for a few seconds) didn't fixed it. So let's hope for the next update.

Are your iPhones named? IE Tom's iPhone?

It doesn't matter what you name it. It will have your defined name for the phone/Tesla fob/Tesla card, Active or last active, then "Unknown Key" and the designated profile name next to it.

So you could name your iPhone/Android as "East Jabib Special Phone Blah", Active, Unknown Key, unharmed. Or something to that effect.

Bottom line up front is that "Unknown Key" is still listed for every single key/fob/phone.