Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is tesla Asking me to pick up the car ASAP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered MLR on Jan 13th after price dropped. EDD was Jan 21 to Feb 3rd.
Got vin on Jan 26th. And they are harassing me to schedule delivery immediately or else they will give it to next person in waiting list.
My loan was approved on 27th. CU says it takes until thursday to finish processing.
Serramonte Tesla wants me to pick up my car on Tuesday. I want to pick it up on friday.
How do i get few more days time?

I think it's just power. You need the car (after the recent price cuts) more than they need to sell it to you. If you don't want it, someone else will happily take your spot. Reminds me of the crazy housing market from a few years back. Like when folks had 10+ all cash offers, they don't have to work with anyone who wants to do inspections, haggle, delay, etc.

The Tesla no-dealership model means that there is zero incentive to keep customers happy. If you buy a Honda and you have a crummy experience with dealer A, well there are dealers B, C, D and E in the metro area and you can just go elsewhere. Dealerships compete with each other.

I am no fan of these middlemen, but the value they provide is nonzero.

OP, consider that you will probably have several service visits and your experience may be even worse in the Service Department (in my experience). If this kind of thing aggravates you, you may want to consider a legacy automaker with dealerships.

I had to place a hold on mine, ordered the day of the price drops. I told sales upfront that I wouldn’t be back from demobilization and they said they put a note on my order. My order came early. They were pretty annoyed and curt. Now I’m stressing about when to remove the hold and if I have a good chance of still getting it in Feb. white/black no upgrades.

Threads like this are rather unusual. You purchased a car (your decision) they let you know expected delivery range which they hit Spot on and this is considered harassment that they want you To complete your agreed transaction. Lol. You Knew the delivery range, Why would you wait till After that range to consider getting your finances in order? Would you do the same with a closing date for a house? Unusual hysteria. Has to be someone else’s fault when You fail to follow along.

Threads like this are rather unusual. You purchased a car (your decision) they let you know expected delivery range which they hit Spot on and this is considered harassment that they want you To complete your agreed transaction. Lol. You Knew the delivery range, Why would you wait till After that range to consider getting your finances in order? Would you do the same with a closing date for a house? Unusual hysteria. Has to be someone else’s fault when You fail to follow along.
housing dates dont change at the sellers whim. teslas do. first they gave a two week range. and then they shrunk it immediately. if you give me a 2 week range for delivery, then give me time to schedule my delivery in that 2 week range instead of forcing me to accept the delivery within 3 days.

Reactions: DeeDeeCee
Normal Tesla practice even when they make mistakes.

Reactions: cwerdna
I ordered MLR on Jan 13th after price dropped. EDD was Jan 21 to Feb 3rd.
Got vin on Jan 26th. And they are harassing me to schedule delivery immediately or else they will give it to next person in waiting list.
My loan was approved on 27th. CU says it takes until thursday to finish processing.
Serramonte Tesla wants me to pick up my car on Tuesday. I want to pick it up on friday.
How do i get few more days time?
A wise man once told me, in any transaction, one holding the money has power.

Not only you can make them wait till Thursday, you can even wait for following week. Just let them know your situation nicely. If they push you, tell them you have no other options. Remember you are in power, you have money. Tesla wants to sell the car.

You have the upper hand.

Reactions: Spinkick

Not only you can make them wait till Thursday, you can even wait for following week. Just let them know your situation nicely. If they push you, tell them you have no other options. Remember you are in power, you have money. Tesla wants to sell the car.

You have the upper hand.
If they cancel on you, because you keep refusing the delivery schedule, they get to keep the $250 and are just as likely to sell the car anyway.

Last edited:
maybe "harassment" is exaggeration. "annoying" is more apt.
thanks for the support everyone.
i was just expecting a friendly dialogue through texts, but was annoyed when it was selective hearing.

tesla: reminder: hi, schedule your model y delivery. if delivery is not scheduled by tomorrow, this vehicle will automatically be released to the next waiting customer . your order will be placed on hold and is subject to cancellation

me: hi, im still waiting for the loan to get processed. can i get some more time

tesla: around when would you be able to schedule.

me: i should get to know by today and im thinking ill schedule by end of next week,

tesla: please let us know and schedule using the link provided earlier

me: ok. loan got approved . i want to schedule on friday next week.

tesla: when do you like to pick up.
me: link wont let me schedule on friday. i need signed purchase agreement for my cu.

(i called tesla for signed purchase agreement and they sent me one promptly)

tesla: final reminder. if delivery is not scheduled by tomorrow , vehicle will be automatically released.

me: i want to schedule delivery for next friday.

tesla: we cannot hold the vehicle until then.

( i go ahead and schedule it for tuesday because they dont respond)

this morning i called them and someone said they could do thursday.

You have the upper hand.
well said.

Not only you can make them wait till Thursday, you can even wait for following week.

Probably not the best idea to give people advice that specifically goes against the information thats in the order agreement. Someone is free to attempt to push off delivery, tesla is free to only allow that for a specific amount of days that are spelled out in the order agreement.

They can re assign your vehicle if you can not take delivery in the time frame they specify (which is 3 days), and if you do not take delivery within 14 days of a first attempt they can cancel you order and keep the $250. What they "should" do is not the same thing as what they "can" do. I am not entering into any discussion at all on "whats right" or "tesla cant" or whatever. I am just spelling out what is in the actual document people agree to when they order the car:

=================================================

Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 1.00.47 PM.png

You have the upper hand.
No you don’t. They have buyers lined up and ready to pick it up immediately if you don’t. They have the upper hand here, not the buyer. Until paperwork is signed and money exchanged, the vehicle is not yours and they can pull the VIN from you and sell it to someone else and make you wait for the next one.

Doesn't seem like most here have experience doing dealings. No company in the world would let paying customer go just because they want few more days. Of course things would be different if request is unreasonable. Tesla doesn't even cancel order for 30 days, let alone they would do that for paying customer who will take the delivery following week.

You have the $$. You have the power.

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun
(Likely not) a forum that isn’t ran by tesla.

Doesn’t sound like they are doing anything but following the standard delivery procedure.

Grow thicker skin if this is ‘jerk’ behaviour by tesla, your ownership experience will have many bumps along the way.

Dropping a note here as a reply to this post to say that the comment referenced here is in relation to the original thread title, which I changed to what it is now to be less confrontational. I only mention it because my change of the thread title makes this post here look somewhat out of place, and thats not fair to @buckets0fun .

Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
Doesn't seem like most here have experience doing dealings. No company in the world would let paying customer go just because they want few more days. Of course things would be different if request is unreasonable. Tesla doesn't even cancel order for 30 days, let alone they would do that for paying customer who will take the delivery following week.

You have the $$. You have the power.

I would turn that back around on you and say "you dont have experience completing a purchase of a tesla vehicle" (because I am fairly sure you dont, at least not at this point). Tesla can be reasonable in some cases, and what people consider to be very unreasonable in others. Until you actually have experience completing a purchase of one of these vehicles, and changing these parameters as you will with no push back from Tesla, I would tell you that your experience with other vehicle transactions may not apply.

Of course, being nice can get you places, just like every other transaction, but tesla is doing their "darndest" to remove the human from the transacton as much as possible, because humans make exceptions, and exceptions cost money.

No you don’t. They have buyers lined up and ready to pick it up immediately if you don’t. They have the upper hand here, not the buyer. Until paperwork is signed and money exchanged, the vehicle is not yours and they can pull the VIN from you and sell it to someone else and make you wait for the next one.
And the one “holding the money“ (deposit) is Tesla.

Reactions: buckets0fun