Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is tesla Asking me to pick up the car ASAP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
housing dates dont change at the sellers whim. teslas do. first they gave a two week range. and then they shrunk it immediately. if you give me a 2 week range for delivery, then give me time to schedule my delivery in that 2 week range instead of forcing me to accept the delivery within 3 days.
They gave you a 2 week expectation date and hit it dead center. Nothing shrunk about that. Housing dates don’t move correct, but do you apply for a loan the day of close or Before to complete the Scheduled appointment?

Reactions: Macb00kemdanno
Doesn't seem like most here have experience doing dealings. No company in the world would let paying customer go just because they want few more days. Of course things would be different if request is unreasonable. Tesla doesn't even cancel order for 30 days, let alone they would do that for paying customer who will take the delivery following week.

You have the $$. You have the power.
If it were any other company then you would be correct. But Tesla does not operate that way.

These are not one off super custom ordered cars that is specific only to you. There are only a handful of possible configurations and they can easily find another buyer ready to pay for it before you get your loan squared away.

Again, they have long lists of customers willing to pay if you can’t. You are not special and they are not losing any money by making you wait. In fact you are losing them money by you making them wait. If they pull your VIN it doesn’t mean you start the wait all over, you’ll just be assigned to one on the next shipment instead and that will come in time for when you’re ready to pay.

The VIN assigned to you is essentially meaningless and only provided to you ahead of time because it’s necessary for paperwork. It’s not a car you have seen or touched or test driven. They don’t have to sell you that specific car because they are all going to be the same.

Think about if you order a laptop, you don’t know the serial number until it’s yours, and until it’s in your ownership the serial number is meaningless to you. They’ll just sell you the next one available from stock, not a specific serial number.

I would like to see real example of someone who got their VIN cancelled just because they wanted to wait 1 or 2 weeks?

I don't buy it. Some here are either Tesla fans or Tesla stock owners. Literally makes 0 sense from business protective.

I would like to see real example of someone who got their VIN cancelled just because they wanted to wait 1 or 2 weeks?

I don't buy it. Some here are either Tesla fans or Tesla stock owners. Literally makes 0 sense from business protective.

Here is one:

There are more here. Pretty much anyone who kept trying to delay orders or say "I dont want to take delivery for several months, after you assigned my vin.

Why dont you try delaying your own order that you received a vin on, into may, and let us know whether tesla cancels your order?

Like I said reasonable time.. 1 to 2 weeks like OP.

of course you can't delay for months. OP was asking for a week. That is my point. 1 to 2 weeks. Still waiting to see examples.

In my case I could buy the car, finance is not the issue. The issue is I don't need it right now. So just need to make my decision.

Totally Different from OP. OPs request is totally reasonable and should have no issues.

To recap for the class:

If acpd thinks it to be true, tesla must honour. It’s line 69420 of the order agreement.

Sorry duder.
Plenty of us had our orders canceled for a 1day extension and were sent text messages explaining why, when the policy changed last year. good great or new customers, it don’t matter. You hold no cards in any transaction with the company, learn this now and adjust your expectations accordingly.

Reactions: cwerdna
To recap for the class:

If acpd thinks it to be true, tesla must honour. It’s line 69420 of the order agreement.

Sorry duder.
Plenty of us had our orders canceled for a 1day extension and were sent text messages explaining why, when the policy changed last year. good great or new customers, it don’t matter. You hold no cards in any transaction with the company, learn this now and adjust your expectations accordingly.
WOW
Plenty of us had our orders canceled for a 1day extensio
If this has happened or still happening, it guess i am wrong. But I wouldn't want to put up with that type of behavior.

Threads like this are rather unusual. You purchased a car (your decision) they let you know expected delivery range which they hit Spot on and this is considered harassment that they want you To complete your agreed transaction. Lol. You Knew the delivery range, Why would you wait till After that range to consider getting your finances in order? Would you do the same with a closing date for a house? Unusual hysteria. Has to be someone else’s fault when You fail to follow along.
Couldn’t have said that better. How is this harassment. ???
All these complaints, and digs just reminds me of kids that don’t get their way. Same reaction.

They're probably on edge trying to keep vehicles moving and avoid more price cuts on undelivered cars due to people delaying.
I think I has more to do with if any inventory starts sitting, even if someone else gets that vehicle a few days later, it’s time and space taken up on their lots.

A location manager probably already has enough of a headache trying to plan/schedule for vehicles to come through as quickly as they can assuming they accept delivery. If too many reject, it screws them over.

I wouldn’t be surprised of SCs had incentives for processing as many as possible.

Price cuts are a much higher level decision.

Reactions: E90alex
I think I has more to do with if any inventory starts sitting, even if someone else gets that vehicle a few days later, it’s time and space taken up on their lots.

A location manager probably already has enough of a headache trying to plan/schedule for vehicles to come through as quickly as they can assuming they accept delivery. If too many reject, it screws them over.

I wouldn’t be surprised of SCs had incentives for processing as many as possible.

Price cuts are a much higher level decision.
The SCs aren’t making price cut decisions but pressure to move vehicles is surely up and trickles down through the value chain, incentives to process would be part of that.

If I recall correctly, Tesla had changed their order delaying policy some months ago. And I recall reading that they’ve adjusted it a few times over the years, likely in response to consumer habits at the time.

Reactions: buckets0fun

It happened to me. I got a VIN but said my financing wasn’t ready. They pulled the VIN from my account and put my order on hold. They said I can remove the hold when I’m actually ready. Removed hold after finally approved for financing and had a new car the week after that.

Tesla stores are very high volume and usually don’t have enormous lots. Your typical car dealer has a lot that fits hundreds of cars and offsite lots that fit hundreds more. The cars can and do sit for months before being sold (pre-pandemic) so it’s no big deal to hold it another few days for a willing buyer. Teslas arrive to the delivery center and get delivered to the buyer within a week or less.

Tesla delivery centers can deliver as many new cars in a week as regular dealers do in a month. The parking space is very valuable and they can’t have a bunch of people delaying deliveries for a week and have to hold all those cars clogging up the lot. They rather move the car ASAP and the person needing more time will just get a new one in the next shipment.

There’s also typically more variation in options for legacy vehicles so not as high chance someone else wants the exact configuration you want. If the dealer sells “your” car instead of holding it, there’s little chance they have another identical one for you, so that’s also why traditional dealers don’t do that and will hold a car for a serious buyer. With Tesla they are all equipped the same you just pick what color you want inside and out. There will be many cars on the lot identical to your configuration and many more that will be arriving very soon.

Last edited:
It happened to me. I got a VIN but said my financing wasn’t ready. They pulled the VIN from my account and put my order on hold. They said I can remove the hold when I’m actually ready. Removed hold after finally approved for financing and had a new car the week after that.

Tesla stores are very high volume and usually don’t have enormous lots. Your typical car dealer has a lot that fits hundreds of cars and offsite lots that fit hundreds more. The cars can and do sit for months before being sold (pre-pandemic) so it’s no big deal to hold it another few days for a willing buyer. Teslas arrive to the delivery center and get delivered to the buyer within a week or less.

Tesla delivery centers can deliver as many new cars in a week as regular dealers do in a month. The parking space is very valuable and they can’t have a bunch of people delaying deliveries for a week and have to hold all those cars clogging up the lot. They rather move the car ASAP and the person needing more time will just get a new one in the next shipment.

There’s also typically more variation in options for legacy vehicles so not as high chance someone else wants the exact configuration you want. If the dealer sells “your” car instead of holding it, there’s little chance they have another identical one for you, so that’s also why traditional dealers don’t do that and will hold a car for a serious buyer. With Tesla they are all equipped the same you just pick what color you want inside and out. There will be many cars on the lot identical to your configuration and many more that will be arriving very soon.
That is actually appreciated response. I would be concerned about total cancelation and taking $250.

Reactions: jose3030
WOW

If this has happened or still happening, it guess i am wrong. But I wouldn't want to put up with that type of behavior.

I think the supply/demand equation may change their attitude, but until cars sit (like late last year), the buyer simply has no power.

I see the Model X has the highest new inv number right now according to that website so buyers "might" have more leeway since those aren't selling, but Model 3/Y, nope, those are pretty low currently and like that laptop example which I think is a good analogy since it's just a widget and the buyer can just get the next widget.

Probably not the best idea to give people advice that specifically goes against the information thats in the order agreement. Someone is free to attempt to push off delivery, tesla is free to only allow that for a specific amount of days that are spelled out in the order agreement.

They can re assign your vehicle if you can not take delivery in the time frame they specify (which is 3 days), and if you do not take delivery within 14 days of a first attempt they can cancel you order and keep the $250. What they "should" do is not the same thing as what they "can" do. I am not entering into any discussion at all on "whats right" or "tesla cant" or whatever. I am just spelling out what is in the actual document people agree to when they order the car:

=================================================

View attachment 900782
You are right. I did not read this at all.

My concern, more so than delivery date scheduling, is the fluctuating EDDs. I know once I get a VIN, scheduling delivery is a very fast process. But trying to schedule life around an EDD that keeps fluctuating and pushing out is frustrating for me. Can we take that long weekend vacation that falls within the one month EDD range, knowing if the car arrives I could lose it? Then only to have that EDD range push to the next month? And we start the guessing game all over again? Frustrating.

. You Knew the delivery range, Why would you wait till After that range to consider getting your finances in order? Would you do the same with a closing date for a house? Unusual hysteria. Has to be someone else’s fault when You fail to follow along.
You can get preapproved by the bank, but until you have an actual contract to buy, that mortgage process has just gone through the warmup phase.

Likewise, my bank (of America) wanted the VIN and contract order before they would close - you don't get this until the VIN is actually issued. Car loans are nearly instant to qualify (minutes with BA, so there's no point doing it in advance and face the potential of Tesla having a delivery slip, as hard credit pulls are only valid for a limited period, along with any loan approval. Right now, a 45 day delay seems unexpected, but it certainly wasn't the case last year.

Tesla shoots themselves in the foot with this a lot. Last year, in March, I had an October delivery for an LR. When i did the switch to P move, I got a VIN and a call the next day (Sunday), looking to see if I could get it Monday (21st). This was part of the Q1 delivery rush. And no, of course I couldn't. But I did on Thursday.

This isn't Q end, but as Andrew also suggests, I think the local centers are feeling pressure from the top for each month's delivery numbers, in part so there isn't a backlog to rush against in March. Regular dealerships have the month end pressure because the interest is due on the 1st for inventory.

My concerns would be around the issue of a VIN and their time frame requirements shortly after.
So far I don't have a VIN. Once I get one I plan to transfer money. I planned a hand delivery of a bank check .vs DD because I wanted to look the car over before I handed over the money.

It takes 2-3 business day for money to go from one of my accounts to the other account. If I get a VIN and they want me to take delivery in less than 3 days after we might have a problem. I hope they give at least a week from when VIN is issued.