Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the Model X offered in only 60kWh and 80kWh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As best I can remember, they've always said it would be offered in only 60 or 80kwh configurations. They've never publicly shared the reasons why, but elsewhere on the forum people have speculated that range would be too low (the X will not be as efficient as the S) or perhaps that the 40kwh battery was only offered to get the price below $50k (w/tax credit).

JB has been quoted as saying something like "we think 125 miles of range is a bare minimum". He didn't elaborate on whether that's a new or old battery, standard or range mode; but however it's calculated, they may feel that the 40kWh battery won't suffice on a Model X (where it just barely will on a Model S, which has less aero drag. Or, as Bonnie points out, maybe they never liked the 40kWh option at all, but only offered it to meet a price point).

I think it's a combination of too low range (RAV4 EV rated 103 miles EPA with similar size battery) and the price point.

Keep in mind that the RAV4 EV (it has 41.8kWh) is pretty close to a 40kWh Model X. I think they don't want to cannibalize RAV4 EV sales.

Makes sense about the Model X not being as efficient as the Model S. I can imagine the Model X weighing a bit more and having greater drag, thus lowering the mileage that the 40 kWh battery could give.

I think it's a combination of too low range and the price point.

Keep in mind that the RAV4 EV (it has 41.8kWh) is pretty close to a 40kWh Model X. It think they don't want to cannibalize RAV4 EV sales.

Regarding not cannibalizing Rav4 EV sales, I doubt it. My understanding is the Rav4 EV was created just so Toyota could comply with California's requirements.

As best I can remember, they've always said it would be offered in only 60 or 80kwh configurations. They've never publicly shared the reasons why, but elsewhere on the forum people have speculated that range would be too low (the X will not be as efficient as the S) or perhaps that the 40kwh battery was only offered to get the price below $50k (w/tax credit).

All true, and I'd add that acceleration likely drops as well. But the big issue (to me) looks to be that the power requirements of ALWAYS having to lug around the extra weight (thus increasining the power draw) will heavily impact the durability of the 40kWh pack as well. It becomes statistically much more likely that a given MX40 will always be experiencing very deep and very stressful charge cycles.

Those issues affect the 60kWh and 85kWh options as well, but you have additional margin to engineer your way around the obstacles.

A few reasons:

• The Model X will be towing capable which requires more torque and therefore more power
  • Range
  • Tesla makes (or at least will make) a larger margin on the bigger battery models and because the Model X will be more expensive to make, yet cost the same as the Model S, the 40 kwh model is not justifiable.

I doubt it has much to do with RAV4EV competition.

A few reasons:

• The Model X will be towing capable which requires more torque and therefore more power
  • Range
  • Tesla makes (or at least will make) a larger margin on the bigger battery models and because the Model X will be more expensive to make, yet cost the same as the Model S, the 40 kwh model is not justifiable.

I doubt it has much to do with RAV4EV competition.

I do not believe that the X will cost the same as the S when it is all said and done. I think they may be similar in price, but not the same.

Some offered the opinion that the 40kWh pack in Model S merely serves the purpose to reach the $50k entry price. Only a few in North America will get a Model S for that price, anyhow, because they reserved before the price increase. In oversea markets, Tesla will not introduce Model S with 40kWh pack at all.

In Model X, bigger weight and aero drag would cut further into the acceleration and range of a 40kWh pack. Tesla has to defend the brand image of performance & long range EV and the 40kWh pack seems fallen victim here. BTW many see the new Toyota RAV4 EV with a Tesla-made 41.6kWh pack as an alternative to a 40kWh equipped Model X.