Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the touchscreen so glossy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the risk of getting another reputation ding for posting my experience:
Well there is a glare and it is the kind that causes you to turn your head to avoid being hit by the light. It happens to be in the early morning when the sun is low and directly behind me when I drive a particular route. The sun actually is coming through the rear glass hatch area not the sun roof in my case. Perhaps tinting the back window will moderate the problem. The problem is real, however not everyone is going to experience it unless their daily commute brings them in alignment with the sun.
I am going to chime in again and be clear about the glare I experience. It is not the washed out screen from the glare that is bothersome; rather glare that is reflected into my eyes because the screen is acting like a mirror redirecting the sun's rays into my eyes. It happens once/twice a week and is dependent on the angle of the sun and my direction of travel. There is a vary narrow window for this to occur given all the variables: time of day, season, car orientation, driver seat position and driver height to name a few.

So, when I read of someone that has also experienced this I can relate and when someone says they have never experienced this I can understand as there are so many variables that must be in alignment. However what I don't understand is why folks discount other people's experience; I would hope we could take what is said at face value. Oh well. And to be clear, I love the car, however if this annoyance could be fixed that would be one less quirk about the car.

... I'll go with their opinion....
You can go with anyone's opinion you wish but the fact will be the same: the screen is like a mirror. Just look in the screen and I guarantee you, you will see yourself in the screen. And that is a problem because it makes harder to see what's on the screen. And it hurts the eyes too.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't understand how you believe using a picture taken from a perspective that represents neither the driver nor a passenger acts as proof ...
It's from a perspective that represents the passenger. From the driver's perspective I experienced that myself. I don't have to "believe", I know that as a fact. With a matte touchscreen you have a nice clear picture (without a reflection) from any perspective. That's way I don't understand why they are not using matte touchscreens?

Last edited:
I think the right solution to this problem is for Tesla to complete the design of a quality sunscreen that will block out all ambient light coming thru the pano roof, just like every other luxury car manufacturer provides.

They have this in their specs. I believe they may retrofit cars (if you ask) for free. But I don't think anyone is saying there is a problem with glare at all with the roof closed. It is so darkly tinted that there are no problems. With the roof open there are no direct sun reflection issues off the screen either. The only problem is the bright light can wash out the screen.

TeslaMotors.com said:
Manual sunshades and wind buffet arm are included.

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/options

+++++++ matte screen. I absolutely won't purchase a laptop with a glossy screen. I enjoy working outside on nice days and a matte screen allows this easily while a glossy screen prohibits it. Absolutely no good reason for glossy screens.

I agree with laptops, you angle them upwards at your face and get direct sun glare. Also you can have black/dark backgrounds often which exacerbate the problems with glare. Having a mostly white background with back light really bright solves some of this problem. Direct light on a matte screen is worse for getting washed out than a glossy screen. Plus I have yet to see a glassscreen with a matte finish. I don't think it is really possible, without degrading transparency.

6200 miles in subtropical Florida. Never had glare off the screen (never driven with the roof open during the day, though). *Have* had substantial glare off the piano black trim, though.

Exactly the screen isn't any worse than your mirrors, the glass windows in the car, seat belt buckles, or glossy trim. The screen was very well thought out to minimize the problems.

At the risk of getting another reputation ding for posting my experience: I am going to chime in again and be clear about the glare I experience. It is not the washed out screen from the glare that is bothersome; rather glare that is reflected into my eyes because the screen is acting like a mirror redirecting the sun's rays into my eyes. It happens once/twice a week and is dependent on the angle of the sun and my direction of travel. There is a vary narrow window for this to occur given all the variables: time of day, season, car orientation, driver seat position and driver height to name a few.

So, when I read of someone that has also experienced this I can relate and when someone says they have never experienced this I can understand as there are so many variables that must be in alignment. However what I don't understand is why folks discount other people's experience; I would hope we could take what is said at face value. Oh well. And to be clear, I love the car, however if this annoyance could be fixed that would be one less quirk about the car.

No one is saying it is impossible to produce direct sun glare. At very low sun angles, and through the back window no less. I had the same problem in my GTI where a tiny 3" LCD display would do the same thing.

You can go with anyone's opinion you wish but the fact will be the same: the screen is like a mirror. Just look in the screen and I guarantee you, you will see yourself in the screen. And that is a problem because it makes harder to see what's on the screen. And it hurts the eyes too.

- - - Updated - - -

It's from a perspective that represents the passenger. From the driver's perspective I experienced that myself. I don't have to "believe", I know that as a fact. With a matte touchscreen you have a nice clear picture (without a reflection) from any perspective. That's way I don't understand why they are not using matte touchscreens?

If you look at a black screen yes it is a mirror. If you look at a white screen with the brightness turned up it will wash out the 'mirror' image of yourself in all but direct sunlight.

It is from the waist of the passenger. The point is that the screen is below eye-line. Almost all light comes from above the screen, and if you are looking also from above all the light is reflected down below your eyeline. The only problems occur when the sun is VERY low and can reflect up into people's eyes.

And can anyone show me a glass touchscreen that is matte? The last matte glass screen I had was from 1999 and was on a huge 17" CRT monitor, and it made it almost impossible to see anything if there was any direct light on the screen. The matte finish scattered too much light. It was also a coating on the glass and was easily scratched. Sure you can put a plastic matte sticker on the screen but I prefer real glass to plastic anyday when glare is concerned. Much less durability and screen feel.

Yes, I have experienced this problem myself. I have driven the car several times, including two get umped tours one in Toronto, Canada and one in Munich, Germany. Actually, I spent more time behind the wheel of Model S than in the back seat. I was driving during rainy days and also during sunny days. I spent extensive time just playing with the touchscreen. The UI is perfect, intuitive, easy to learn and logical. That's great, but the reflection is just too strong, especially during sunny days. It's like a mirror. You can see yourself in the touchscreen thus making it harder to see what's on the display. And here you have the evidence:
View attachment 16066
It is like that in reality too. Whoever says it is not, is not saying the truth.

Matte screen protector, I don't think it's a good solution. It will be even harder to see through that. Tesla should offer matte touchscreen as an option for those who don't like the glossy one. Or just make it simple and make only matte touchscreen.

Nice camera work. Notice the display in front of the steering wheel has the same gloss/reflection. Don't hear any complaints there. Besides, who looks at the screen from that angle. I have 5500 miles on my S and have had zero problems with glare from the touch screen. And certainly not from the drivers position. My gloss Obeche wood is just as reflective and doesn't interfere either. Sounds like you're fishing for an excuse.

As for a screen protector, I use one on my cell phone and it doesn't impede the vision so I doubt it would be a problem on the Tesla touch screen.

I'll add my 2c. I also have not experienced a single instance of glare on the screen; maybe my height and seat position help. I do believe some people may experience it; but if it happened to me regularly I'd tint my rear window. I know some jurisdictions don't allow much, but it's better than reducing the quality of the screen when it's not a factor most of the time.

And to add some additional perspective, I experienced horrible glare while driving today from the sun shining at just the wrong angle on the damp & icy highway. While we do occasionally get inconvenienced by the sun, it provides enough benefits that I'd rather not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Especially in winter. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I was going to mention as well that I've only noticed fingerprints on my screen once, again it depends on the angle of the sun. On my Ford Explorer, every time the screen turns off I can see the prints when I'm parked outside. It doesn't bother me much, though. At least no one's stated that this is a 'dealbreaker' :biggrin:

Yes, I have experienced this problem myself. I have driven the car several times, including two get umped tours one in Toronto, Canada and one in Munich, Germany. Actually, I spent more time behind the wheel of Model S than in the back seat. I was driving during rainy days and also during sunny days. I spent extensive time just playing with the touchscreen. The UI is perfect, intuitive, easy to learn and logical. That's great, but the reflection is just too strong, especially during sunny days. It's like a mirror. You can see yourself in the touchscreen thus making it harder to see what's on the display. And here you have the evidence:
View attachment 16066
It is like that in reality too. Whoever says it is not, is not saying the truth.

Matte screen protector, I don't think it's a good solution. It will be even harder to see through that. Tesla should offer matte touchscreen as an option for those who don't like the glossy one. Or just make it simple and make only matte touchscreen.

Are you sure that the passenger door is not open in this picture?

- - - Updated - - -

It looks to me like the perspective is very close to the glass, and not from where one would normally be viewing it. I have certainly driven at all times of the day, and we have very few clouds here. Never seen anything like that.

I still have the screen protector on that came with the car. 5500 miles. I have never had an issue with glare.

I just went out to figure this out from a geometry perspective:

1) Sunlight from the sunroof will reflect off the screen into the driver's eyes. This sun however needs to go through a lot of glass and will be very attenuated.
2) Sun from the rear and passenger window will reflect off the screen into the driver's eyes. I had never noticed this as I would instinctively move my head to the side. This is the same thing I do when the sun is in my eyes from the front. It is easy to move your head a little to the side.
3) Sun will hit the passenger's chest or chair and be seen against a darker LCD picture. Matte would barely help in this instance.

Judging someone based on a few words is not the right path either. But anyways, I apologize if I hurt your feelings or anybody's else. It's not my goal, trust me. It was a bad choice of wording, I guess. I am not a native speaker. English is my third language. Will try to explain with other words: when you look at the screen you will see reflection of yourself thus making it harder to see what's on the screen. Some people say they don't see the reflection. Since I know for a fact that it is there, maybe they are saying that because they don't want to see it. They know it's not going to change, and really it's not that bad (I know Tesla did their best to eliminate it). So let's just say, it's OK. It's like hiding from the truth because it is more convenient that way. ( I hope this doesn't assume anyone's dishonesty. If yes, sorry and you can delete it.) When is dark outside or cloudy, you don't see the reflection, I agree, but there are times when you see it. But with matte touchscreen, you would have ALWAYS (from any perspective) nice clear picture without a glare or reflection. So what I am only trying to find out is, why Tesla have decided to use glossy touchscreen when there are available much better matte touchscreens (like on my Garmin)? That's all.

And I wish, I could have the option to order the car with matte touchscreen.

I know there is glare on other parts of the car but that doesn't bother me because I don't have to look there and read what's written on it.

No one is hiding the truth. People who own the car and have been driving it on a daily basis are saying this isn't an issue. There are always films you can apply to the screen if any glare bothers you.

You know this for a fact but is this based off a test drive, video on the Internet, or you owning the car? When you get the car I think you'll find this isn't much an issue.